Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Paul Laurence Dunbar names Wes Johnson as their new football head coach.

Featured Replies

  • Author

Coach Johnson spent a handful of years in the early '00s as the skipper at West Jessamine. Any word on what he's been up to since then?

I hope Dunbar gives Wes a chance, I really hope they do.

Congrats Coach Johnson!

 

And like CWB, I am interested in hearing more about Dunbar's new coach.

 

Anyone?

Johnson last coaching gig was an assistant back in 13. He has been out of coaching since then.

Former UK player Alex Montgomery will be on Johnsons staff.

  • Author
Johnson last coaching gig was an assistant back in 13. He has been out of coaching since then.

 

Wes served as an assistant at PLD under Dave Hensley in 2006 & 2007, and under in Jason Howell in 2008. He was the offensive coordinator at LCA in 2013 under Marshall Graham. Not sure what he had going on from 2009-2012.

  • Author
All time winngest coach at WJ.

 

Interesting Tweet from WDKY prep sports man, Dan Rieffer:

 

During Boyle County's run of 5 consecutive state titles under Chuck Smith, the Rebels had a combined record of 73-2. Both losses came in 2002. One to Danville, coached by Sam Harp. The other to West Jessamine, coached by Wes Johnson. The Colts beat the Rebs 13-9 in the slop.

Any word as to who is other assistants may be?

Any word as to who is other assistants may be?

 

I had breakfast with Wes this morning. Great friend and I am really happy for him!

Randy Wood - main assistant who was with him at West Jessamine

Jay Singleton

Tyler Goble

Alex Montgomery

Maybe Jo Jo Kemp who just finished at UK last year.

  • Author
I had breakfast with Wes this morning. Great friend and I am really happy for him!

Randy Wood - main assistant who was with him at West Jessamine

Jay Singleton

Tyler Goble

Alex Montgomery

Maybe Jo Jo Kemp who just finished at UK last year.

 

Thanks for the good info, secthebest!

I had breakfast with Wes this morning. Great friend and I am really happy for him!

Randy Wood - main assistant who was with him at West Jessamine

Jay Singleton

Tyler Goble

Alex Montgomery

Maybe Jo Jo Kemp who just finished at UK last year.

 

The Flexbone Triple Option is coming to Man O' War. Good for PLD and Coach Johnson. The band has gotten together again. I'm happy as can be for them.

The Flexbone Triple Option is coming to Man O' War. Good for PLD and Coach Johnson. The band has gotten together again. I'm happy as can be for them.

 

Yep. Local schools will have to get ready to defend a little Georgia Tech, Army, and Navy. Dunbar had a really good Freshman team this year. I believe Wes will do well at Dunbar. He knows how to coach kids up and compete when over matched athletically. He did that very well at West Jessamine from what I can tell. Hope Dunbar gives Wes a chance to build something at Dunbar because it will take time.

I had breakfast with Wes this morning. Great friend and I am really happy for him!

Randy Wood - main assistant who was with him at West Jessamine

Jay Singleton

Tyler Goble

Alex Montgomery

Maybe Jo Jo Kemp who just finished at UK last year.

 

Not to be the negative one here, but isn't it fair to say this is an unproven staff, despite the hype? Johnson may have been a good head coach and Wood a good assistant, but what about these other guys? Just because a guy played at UK (or any other school) doesn't mean it's going to work out. Seen it not work out several times.

 

Johnson will have to add some quality to that staff to make a difference next season, in my opinion.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.