NHL Season Opens October 4th

Run To State

I’ve gotta share my love for the Columbus Blue Jackets. I tried to upload a photo of my personalized license plate from the great state of Kentucky, which reads GO CBJ, but it wouldn’t work with an iPhone. Zach Werenski is a perennial All Star in the making and now we have the Bread Man - in my opinion, is the biggest offseason acquisition in the NHL.

Do you go to many games @swamprat?

1 or 2 a year. It's hard to get tickets, at least tickets I can afford.

Oddly enough, Tampa Bay will not support the Rays, Bucs, or USF, but they are crazy for hockey. They've been averaging 97.8% capacity at Amalie Arena, which seats 20K, for years. Heck, the Bolts did not make the playoffs last year and season tickets sales increased.

1 or 2 a year. It's hard to get tickets, at least tickets I can afford.

Oddly enough, Tampa Bay will not support the Rays, Bucs, or USF, but they are crazy for hockey. They've been averaging 97.8% capacity at Amalie Arena, which seats 20K, for years. Heck, the Bolts did not make the playoffs last year and season tickets sales increased.

That astounds me that hockey is so big down there. Is it because of the snow birds that come from hockey towns up north?

That astounds me that hockey is so big down there. Is it because of the snow birds that come from hockey towns up north?

Back in the beginning of the franchise, the opposing teams fans would dominate attendance. Not, now. Those are Lightning fans in the stands and they love their hockey club.

I've lived here for 35 years and have watched the Tampa Bay area evolve from a tourist and retirement based economy to a technological and financial capital based economy. By population, Florida is now the 3rd largest state in the union. They passed New York a couple of years ago. Of that 20 million, the prime 18-54 demographic is made up of people like my kids. People who were born here, not somewhere else. This is specifically true in the city of Tampa.

Also, the Lightning heavily promote and support youth hockey throughout the state. High school hockey has become a big thing around here. They also support the Ice Bulls, USF's club hockey team.

Jeff Vinik is a tremendous businessman and owner. From his financial support of USF and other philanthropic ventures, to his hand in the revitalization of downtown Tampa, he is involved in the Tampa Bay community like I've never seen any owner do, anywhere.