Western Kentucky Preseason Power Rankings - 2017

Purple88

#1 - this was a great read! Great work per usual.

Covering the teams in the 3rd region area, I can say that I am VERY high on Owensboro Catholic. They are loaded at the skill positions. If they can get their OL and DB's up to par, they should have a shot to make a run at a state title. I don't know how anyone can question their schedule this year, adding an Indiana powerhouse in Reitz and closing the season vs South Warren. In our local top 10 we have them ranked 1 and OHS ranked 2.

Speaking of OHS, ill be very curious to see them this season. The question with the Devils is never talent. The should have plenty of raw talent on both sides of the ball. I expect the defense to be ahead of the offense, at least to start the season. They should have some options at QB. I think Zeke Brown will start the season there over Belcher. Brown can run around a little more, while Belcher is more of a passer. They also have a nice Freshman in Ethan Avery. Im real excited to see Owsley at RB. Watching him come up, he just seems to have a that special quality. He has potential to do big things. FB Josh Cowheard is another guy to watch out of the backfield. He is powerful and athletic. On the broad scale of 5A, im not sure where OHS will stand, but I expect they will be a force to be reckoned with by the end of the year.

While OHS and Catholic will be the standout teams in our area, there are some big time players that should be known on a state level too. Marquel Tinsley, the WR from Daviess County, is the real deal. Just a junior, he should get some D1 level looks. His cross town rival Peyton Peters at Apollo should also have a standout season. Lastly, Ohio County QB Heath Simmons is a player to watch. He's definitely on the wrong side of the numbers game at Ohio County(where new Coach Ganaway has nearly doubled the numbers since the spring), but if you just dig into his intangibles I think you will see a QB with an extremely high upside that a small college could use.

Great job. And right on about Henderson love the coach but with the teams they play it is going to be hard to get any more than 3 wins again. I just hope they lose games in the 2nd half instead of begin down 35 at half.

#1 - this was a great read! Great work per usual.

Covering the teams in the 3rd region area, I can say that I am VERY high on Owensboro Catholic. They are loaded at the skill positions. If they can get their OL and DB's up to par, they should have a shot to make a run at a state title. I don't know how anyone can question their schedule this year, adding an Indiana powerhouse in Reitz and closing the season vs South Warren. In our local top 10 we have them ranked 1 and OHS ranked 2.

Speaking of OHS, ill be very curious to see them this season. The question with the Devils is never talent. The should have plenty of raw talent on both sides of the ball. I expect the defense to be ahead of the offense, at least to start the season. They should have some options at QB. I think Zeke Brown will start the season there over Belcher. Brown can run around a little more, while Belcher is more of a passer. They also have a nice Freshman in Ethan Avery. Im real excited to see Owsley at RB. Watching him come up, he just seems to have a that special quality. He has potential to do big things. FB Josh Cowheard is another guy to watch out of the backfield. He is powerful and athletic. On the broad scale of 5A, im not sure where OHS will stand, but I expect they will be a force to be reckoned with by the end of the year.

While OHS and Catholic will be the standout teams in our area, there are some big time players that should be known on a state level too. Marquel Tinsley, the WR from Daviess County, is the real deal. Just a junior, he should get some D1 level looks. His cross town rival Peyton Peters at Apollo should also have a standout season. Lastly, Ohio County QB Heath Simmons is a player to watch. He's definitely on the wrong side of the numbers game at Ohio County(where new Coach Ganaway has nearly doubled the numbers since the spring), but if you just dig into his intangibles I think you will see a QB with an extremely high upside that a small college could use.

Apollo,

Great stuff here! Glad you chimed in! Know you and @devil58 always have a good take on things in and around Davies County! I knew of the Ohio County QB, but honestly forgot about him in this article. I agree he is a good player. I may try to sneak down to see the Red Devils and Evansville Mater Dei 2 Saturdays from now. Where will that game be played?

OHS and Mater Dei is at Rash Stadium. Daviess County will play Evansville Memorial in game #1 that day. I believe it starts at 4 or 4:30 with the OHS game to follow.

Apollo,

Thanks for this! Will the Homer's be broadcasting this? Do you still do your Thursday (I think) show about HS Football? If yes, I'd like to know about it. You guys do a great job over there! What are your initial thoughts on the OHS vs Mater Dei game?

EXCELLENT work 88! Our Mayfield Cardinals vs Union City Golden Tornadoes tomorrow will be an eye-opener for the season, I believe. Our brand vs smashmouth offense like we used to do. Game of the week down here! Can't miss and hopefully the Kentucky team prevails! Audio available on mywymc.com for anyone interested.

Apollo,

Thanks for this! Will the Homer's be broadcasting this? Do you still do your Thursday (I think) show about HS Football? If yes, I'd like to know about it. You guys do a great job over there! What are your initial thoughts on the OHS vs Mater Dei game?

Thanks for the kind words! We will be broadcasting all 4 Border Bowl games next weekend(2 Friday Apollo/Central Catholic/Reitz on Friday - DC/Memorial OHS/Mater Dei Saturday). We also do a live show at 7pm every Wednesday night with local players of the week for each school and previews of upcoming weeks games. You can listen live and join in the conversation on our live chat room here Homers Radio is on Mixlr. Mixlr is a simple way to share live audi....

You can also access our shows and our archives on HomersRadio.com or subscribe to our podcasts on iTunes or Google Play(depending on your device). I really liked this weeks breakdown show. Lots of fun to do.

I've been kind of holding off on an opinion of Mater Dei OHS until I see how they each do this coming week. Mater Dei was a machine last year(big big win over Catholic) but they lost a lot, much like OHS. My instant thought is that Southern Indiana is slightly ahead of the Owensboro area when it comes to sports BUT traditionally Owensboro schools have done well in this event. While it's possible Evansville could go 4-0, I think DC, Catholic & OHS could all come away with wins. While Apollo should be improved this year, I don't see them having any chance vs Central.

EXCELLENT work 88! Our Mayfield Cardinals vs Union City Golden Tornadoes tomorrow will be an eye-opener for the season, I believe. Our brand vs smashmouth offense like we used to do. Game of the week down here! Can't miss and hopefully the Kentucky team prevails! Audio available on mywymc.com for anyone interested.

SP,

Thanks! Also thanks for the link! Many may want to plug into listening to this great opening game! Go Cardinals!

Thanks for the kind words! We will be broadcasting all 4 Border Bowl games next weekend(2 Friday Apollo/Central Catholic/Reitz on Friday - DC/Memorial OHS/Mater Dei Saturday). We also do a live show at 7pm every Wednesday night with local players of the week for each school and previews of upcoming weeks games. You can listen live and join in the conversation on our live chat room here Homers Radio is on Mixlr. Mixlr is a simple way to share live audi....

You can also access our shows and our archives on HomersRadio.com or subscribe to our podcasts on iTunes or Google Play(depending on your device). I really liked this weeks breakdown show. Lots of fun to do.

I've been kind of holding off on an opinion of Mater Dei OHS until I see how they each do this coming week. Mater Dei was a machine last year(big big win over Catholic) but they lost a lot, much like OHS. My instant thought is that Southern Indiana is slightly ahead of the Owensboro area when it comes to sports BUT traditionally Owensboro schools have done well in this event. While it's possible Evansville could go 4-0, I think DC, Catholic & OHS could all come away with wins. While Apollo should be improved this year, I don't see them having any chance vs Central.

Apollo,

GREAT INFO!!!! I will be chiming into the Homer's show for sure!

One of the best radio shows in Western Kentucky, No Doubt About It!

Will be paying attention to how you guys see the Mater Dei game shaking out...

Will be pulling for the KY teams in those game for sure!

Great Job purple88!! Glad we have you on BGpreps..

Thanks Trap!

Looking forward to keeping up with your Christian County Colonels this week!

Caldwell will be down just a bit IMO, but still formidable, just not on County's level.

I'll say this about Caldwell, they got 8 starters back on defense and one if not the best corners in the state with the Riley kid. He's really good. Their QB is not much different then the one that choose to play baseball. I love their offense they score on everybody they play the last 5/6 years.. Good team well coached!!