July 24, 20179 yr Agreed. I just think it's crazy to put Andy on their level just yet. Let's win a playoff game first and go from there. I'm an Andy fan so don't think I'm bashing him. Boomer is just my favorite all time player and Anderson should be a HOFer IMO. Same could be said for Green.
July 24, 20179 yr Imo Dalton is 4th on Bengals all Time qbs, but that's a different debate. The only QB u could be referring to is Palmer... and he and Andy are playing in the same era... Andy has a better career winning %, and a higher QB rating as a Bengal... also, Andy has several more seasons left in Cincy barring injury... and Palmer is done. In all likelihood, Andy retires with the most wins in franchise history, highest winning %, most yards, most TD's, etc... that puts Andy top 3 imo... Palmer is similar to Cook in my mind... never the same QB after the injury, though Palmer has still made a decent career for himself post injury.
July 24, 20179 yr The only QB u could be referring to is Palmer... and he and Andy are playing in the same era... Andy has a better career winning %, and a higher QB rating as a Bengal... also, Andy has several more seasons left in Cincy barring injury... and Palmer is done. In all likelihood, Andy retires with the most wins in franchise history, highest winning %, most yards, most TD's, etc... that puts Andy top 3 imo... Palmer is similar to Cook in my mind... never the same QB after the injury, though Palmer has still made a decent career for himself post injury. Which injury are you referring to? You would be wrong if you say the knee? I always hate when people say the knee because that's not true. Just look at the very next season just 9 months after that injury. His numbers were very similar to what they were before the injury. Now if you want to say the elbow injury in 2008, I agree. That injury effected him more than the knee. As for winning percentage and all that. My argument is the same as it is when i say Corey Dillon was better than James Brooks. It's a lot easier to look more fondly of someone on better teams. In Daltons 6 years as a starter the defense has been in the top 10 in either yards allowed or points allowed every year except for 2014. That year they had a top 5 rushing attack luckily. During Palmers years they were consistently bad in the 20s defensively. The one year Palmer had a good defense was 2009, when Palmer didn't have a great year but they made the playoffs. Similar to how the defense led Dalton to the playoffs his first 2 years and a top 5 running game led them to the playoffs in 2014 when Dalton once again threw less than 20 tds like last year when he threw less than 20. I would say Dalton has benefited from having the best defenses any qb in Bengal history has had, and basically for his whole career too. While also being surrounded by talent on offense. Dalton definitely was and is more durable though, as Palmer has been injury plagued his whole career. I am not going to say Dalton is horrible because he is not. However in terms of being surrounded with a good defense his whole career and talent on offense. Dalton has been put in a much better situation than most qbs in the NFL could have asked for.
July 24, 20179 yr Which injury are you referring to? You would be wrong if you say the knee? I always hate when people say the knee because that's not true. Just look at the very next season just 9 months after that injury. His numbers were very similar to what they were before the injury. Now if you want to say the elbow injury in 2008, I agree. That injury effected him more than the knee. As for winning percentage and all that. My argument is the same as it is when i say Corey Dillon was better than James Brooks. It's a lot easier to look more fondly of someone on better teams. In Daltons 6 years as a starter the defense has been in the top 10 in either yards allowed or points allowed every year except for 2014. That year they had a top 5 rushing attack luckily. During Palmers years they were consistently bad in the 20s defensively. The one year Palmer had a good defense was 2009, when Palmer didn't have a great year but they made the playoffs. Similar to how the defense led Dalton to the playoffs his first 2 years and a top 5 running game led them to the playoffs in 2014 when Dalton once again threw less than 20 tds like last year when he threw less than 20. I would say Dalton has benefited from having the best defenses any qb in Bengal history has had, and basically for his whole career too. While also being surrounded by talent on offense. Dalton definitely was and is more durable though, as Palmer has been injury plagued his whole career. I am not going to say Dalton is horrible because he is not. However in terms of being surrounded with a good defense his whole career and talent on offense. Dalton has been put in a much better situation than most qbs in the NFL could have asked for. I was referring to the elbow injury... Also, Dalton has had some of the worst offensive lines in Bengal history save for one season when they did a solid job of protecting him.... He's also had almost no stability for an offensive coordinator and had no training camp or pre-season really as a rookie... All that said, it still doesn't matter. Fact is that Dalton's career as a Bengal QB will be remembered as more successful than Palmer... and has a chance to be best QB career in franchise history... The best post season record in Bengal history at QB is only 3 or 4 wins... if he does that, granted it's a big if... he goes down in history in the discussion of most successful. Point is... Palmer was the number one pick overall and Dalton was a 2nd round pick... and playing in basically the same era, they have similar numbers... except Dalton has set franchise marks in yards, Td's , completion % , etc. Dalton has time to get that elusive playoff win... if he does, Palmer just isn't gonna compare. Heck, Dalton has a chance to win a Super Bowl someday in Cincy, where as Palmer will have never won a playoff game... Andy is still the QB on a pretty good team and Palmer is done with Cincy for good.
July 24, 20179 yr I was referring to the elbow injury... Also, Dalton has had some of the worst offensive lines in Bengal history save for one season when they did a solid job of protecting him.... He's also had almost no stability for an offensive coordinator and had no training camp or pre-season really as a rookie... All that said, it still doesn't matter. Fact is that Dalton's career as a Bengal QB will be remembered as more successful than Palmer... and has a chance to be best QB career in franchise history... The best post season record in Bengal history at QB is only 3 or 4 wins... if he does that, granted it's a big if... he goes down in history in the discussion of most successful. Point is... Palmer was the number one pick overall and Dalton was a 2nd round pick... and playing in basically the same era, they have similar numbers... except Dalton has set franchise marks in yards, Td's , completion % , etc. Dalton has time to get that elusive playoff win... if he does, Palmer just isn't gonna compare. Heck, Dalton has a chance to win a Super Bowl someday in Cincy, where as Palmer will have never won a playoff game... Andy is still the QB on a pretty good team and Palmer is done with Cincy for good. Now i do agree with you on Dalton still has time, while Palmer is about done. To put things in perspective though. When Palmer had a good defense to go along with talent on offense in Arizona, He has won a playoff game and made the NFC championship. Dalton has had both most of his career with a good defense and talented offense but still nothing. Not to mention playing bad in big moments against good teams prime time or playoffs. Which by the way the Bengals o line until last year has ranked as one of the best most of Daltons career until last year. Also Palmer has the best completion percentage still for a season. Only one time in Palmer career has he thrown for 20 or less tds in a season where he played at least 10 or more games. Dalton now has 3 out of his 6 seasons where he threw 20 or less tds and those all 3 came in full 16 game seasons for Dalton. When Palmer was here the Bengals won games because of Palmer besides 2009 when he finally had a defense. If Palmer didn't play good or just average they lost. With Dalton 3 out of the 5 playoff years, they didn't need Dalton to play good to win. They just didn't need Dalton to lose the game for them. He just needed to manage it. At the end of the day Dalton will be looked at more fondly and most likely be considered better than Palmer by most Bengal fans. People think more fondly of players who played on better teams. Just like how most view James Brooks as better than Dillon. When the reality is if Dillon played on the teams Brooks played on I think Dillon is in the hall of fame right now. Just like I think if Palmer played on the teams Dalton played on the Bengals still make 5 straight playoffs and probably win at least one. I know I am in the minority with this opinion but it's ok. I do hope Dalton proves me wrong and goes out and leads this team to playoff wins and one day a super bowl. He is their qb, so I hope he does great.
July 24, 20179 yr Now i do agree with you on Dalton still has time, while Palmer is about done. To put things in perspective though. When Palmer had a good defense to go along with talent on offense in Arizona, He has won a playoff game and made the NFC championship. Dalton has had both most of his career with a good defense and talented offense but still nothing. Not to mention playing bad in big moments against good teams prime time or playoffs. Which by the way the Bengals o line until last year has ranked as one of the best most of Daltons career until last year. Also Palmer has the best completion percentage still for a season. Only one time in Palmer career has he thrown for 20 or less tds in a season where he played at least 10 or more games. Dalton now has 3 out of his 6 seasons where he threw 20 or less tds and those all 3 came in full 16 game seasons for Dalton. When Palmer was here the Bengals won games because of Palmer besides 2009 when he finally had a defense. If Palmer didn't play good or just average they lost. With Dalton 3 out of the 5 playoff years, they didn't need Dalton to play good to win. They just didn't need Dalton to lose the game for them. He just needed to manage it. At the end of the day Dalton will be looked at more fondly and most likely be considered better than Palmer by most Bengal fans. People think more fondly of players who played on better teams. Just like how most view James Brooks as better than Dillon. When the reality is if Dillon played on the teams Brooks played on I think Dillon is in the hall of fame right now. Just like I think if Palmer played on the teams Dalton played on the Bengals still make 5 straight playoffs and probably win at least one. I know I am in the minority with this opinion but it's ok. I do hope Dalton proves me wrong and goes out and leads this team to playoff wins and one day a super bowl. He is their qb, so I hope he does great. Good post. It's mostly what I've been saying this whole time... Palmer's career is done as a Bengal and Dalton likely has several seasons left. Also, in most statistical categories of note for a QB, Dalton leads the franchise or "will likely" lead the franchise when his time here is over. I'm not holding my breath, but hoping this season "50th anniversary" is when Dalton and the gang finally make a playoff run. Hoping, lol!
July 24, 20179 yr Good post. It's mostly what I've been saying this whole time... Palmer's career is done as a Bengal and Dalton likely has several seasons left. Also, in most statistical categories of note for a QB, Dalton leads the franchise or "will likely" lead the franchise when his time here is over. I'm not holding my breath, but hoping this season "50th anniversary" is when Dalton and the gang finally make a playoff run. Hoping, lol! Agreed! I really like the young talent on the team. As much as people hate on the Bengals. I think the Bengals over the last 7 years have done a good job at trying to win now, but also still refreshing with younger players. This way they don't have to go through a full rebuild blow it up mode like the reds. Now will they win a playoff game. Who knows I won't predict that lol, but I do think they will be back in the playoffs this year. I like how most people are over looking them. They do better when overlooked.
July 24, 20179 yr Agreed! I really like the young talent on the team. As much as people hate on the Bengals. I think the Bengals over the last 7 years have done a good job at trying to win now, but also still refreshing with younger players. This way they don't have to go through a full rebuild blow it up mode like the reds. Now will they win a playoff game. Who knows I won't predict that lol, but I do think they will be back in the playoffs this year. I like how most people are over looking them. They do better when overlooked. I agree that they stand a good chance of making the playoffs for sure... as always, key guys gotta stay healthy.
July 24, 20179 yr Munoz is the top of my list for sure. Hard to believe that he's the only Bengal to make the Hall of Fame in 50 years, but he sure is an awesome representative for the team... Top notch on and off the field.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.