Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rules Question from last night's Walton/Grant JV Game

Featured Replies

A grant Co player is fouled while taking a shot just as the 1st half ends. No time is left on the clock. As the player prepares to shoot his first free throw the entire Walton bench stands up and walks off the floor to their locker room which is on the same end as the basket in which the player is shooting. So there were about ten kids walking below the free throw line, some of them with their right foot on the inside of the sideline.

 

I say this is at the very least a lane violation and I think should be a technical foul. The second quarter is not over until those two free throws are attempted. The entire bench was vacated.

This is preventative. Non-administering official should have held everyone until free throws and half ended. This is an officials error, so in my view, even if recognized, it was because the officiating crew didn't maintain control of their game, and hard to penalize due to that. My opinion.

I was sitting behind the score table, Walton coach asked the refs if he was allowed to take his team to the locker room and the ref said yes. Simple as that.

I was sitting behind the score table, Walton coach asked the refs if he was allowed to take his team to the locker room and the ref said yes. Simple as that.
Puts an early end to this thread.

The OP does make a good point but I am sure that is why Walton coach asked first, seems like a knowledgeable guy.

  • Author

@TheSteelCat Well I am not certain that all JV refs know the rules. But if players are walking on the court below the FT line while a player is shooting Free Throws hos is it not a lane violation? There were about ten kids pacing down the sideline and at least a few of them had a foot on the playing surface.

 

Just a rules question, not an excuse. I think the kid made 1 of 2.

Which is why I stated it was a good point that you asked... just stating the facts of why it happened.

@Clyde

 

What is your take?

 

BirdBrain covered it.

 

Good learning opportunity for the officials.

 

You can't tell a team they can go ahead and go to the lockerroom and then penalize them with a technical foul. It's not a lane violation since no one is on the lane.

Mistake by the official. It happens.

  • Author
BirdBrain covered it.

 

Good learning opportunity for the officials.

 

You can't tell a team they can go ahead and go to the lockerroom and then penalize them with a technical foul. It's not a lane violation since no one is on the lane.

Mistake by the official. It happens.

 

Ok. But I've seen cases where a technical was called when 6 people were on the floor during the first of a two shot free throw. I just can't get passed ten players walking below the free throw line while free throws are being attempted.

The ref said they could go to the locker room but I doubt he said they could walk onto the court. IMO the shot should have been retaken. Don't know the official rule.

Ok. But I've seen cases where a technical was called when 6 people were on the floor during the first of a two shot free throw. I just can't get passed ten players walking below the free throw line while free throws are being attempted.

 

Here's the difference: the official didnt tell the team that got a T they could have 6 on the floor. He told , incorrectly, the fouling team to head to the lockerroom. Can't ding them for that. They asked.

  • Author

@Clyde What if they didn't ask? What if they just stood up and did it?

 

Is this scenario covered in the rule book at all?

@Clyde What if they didn't ask? What if they just stood up and did it?

 

Is this scenario covered in the rule book at all?

 

As BirdBrain said one of the officials should have stopped them as soon as they started off the floor. Could they have called something despite their mistake (assuming no one told them to go ahead and leave)? Did the team have to cross the floor to get to their lockerroom? Or did they just walk down the sideline and not cross the vision of the shooter? If they didn't cross the vision of the shooter I've got nothing. If they did cross the line of sight as he was shooting I'd possibly kill it and re-shoot and then get them back to their bench.

As BirdBrain said one of the officials should have stopped them as soon as they started off the floor. Could they have called something despite their mistake (assuming no one told them to go ahead and leave)? Did the team have to cross the floor to get to their lockerroom? Or did they just walk down the sideline and not cross the vision of the shooter? If they didn't cross the vision of the shooter I've got nothing. If they did cross the line of sight as he was shooting I'd possibly kill it and re-shoot and then get them back to their bench.

 

....then me and my partner go to the locker room for a refresher course on game management responsibilities.....

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.