Who's Next?

Jumper_Dad

Gus is on thin ice.

BK is safe.

Curious how long Franklin lasts at Penn State.

USC will have a new coach by next season.

I'd be shocked if Franklin is gone, Gus, BK, and guy at USC don't have a long leash at all.

Surprised by the Brian Kelly talk. I think ND will somewhat salvage their season and end up 9-4 or 8-5 something like that and BK will be safe. I think ND would have to miss a bowl game for BK to lose his job. I think Malzahn would be gone today if they hadn't of won the game Saturday and I think he makes it until the Iron Bowl this year, but after they get shellacked by Bama he'll be gone before their bowl game. I think the donors will drive Franklin out of Penn State because their fans actually believe they are still a top 5 job and a coaching destination. Clay Helton will make it to the end of the year, but they'll very politely show him the door.

Not sure who they think will do any better at PSU. I think that program could be swirling down the drain, headed to be a run of the mill program and no longer of the best. Scandal? yes. Middle of no where school? yes. Excitement around the program? No. Good weather with ties to FL/TX kids? No. The one thing they have is great tradition.

PSU could be the next Nebraska.

Not sure who they think will do any better at PSU. I think that program could be swirling down the drain, headed to be a run of the mill program and no longer of the best. Scandal? yes. Middle of no where school? yes. Excitement around the program? No. Good weather with ties to FL/TX kids? No. The one thing they have is great tradition.

PSU could be the next Nebraska.

Next Nebraska? In case you haven't noticed Nebraska is undefeated and ranked 15th in the country.

At this pace I see 8 big time coaching jobs with a better than 50% chance of having an opening by next offseason. LSU, FSU, Auburn, Texas, OU, Oregon, Penn State, and USC. I think there are 4 schools that are clear cut above the rest and the others will fall in to deeper despair as they settle for coaches that probably aren't better than their current coaches. The number one factor for me if I was a coach would be recruiting. So based solely on recruiting, I would rank the potential job openings in this order. 1. Texas (you have the most fertile recruiting ground in the country, yeah you have some competition within the state but all it takes is one good coach to come in a secure all that talent for UT) 2. LSU (You get the WHOLE state of Louisiana plus a few from elsewhere) 3. USC (I think USC can go back to locking up the whole state of California like they did during the Carroll days) 4. FSU (You have Florida and Miami to compete with in your own state, if it wasn't for this I would put FSU #1 on this list) 5. Oklahoma (not an abundance of in state talent, but you have Texas to pick from as well as a national brand that will at least get recruits to visit) 6. Oregon (all of the resources in the world, you get a coach who can recruit and pull some talent from California and Texas and you REALLY have something in Eugene) 7. Auburn (Cam Newton isn't walking back into Jordan Hare and as long as Saban is in Tuscaloosa you are always going to play second fiddle) 8. Penn State (Ohio State has been getting a lot of the big time recruits in Pennsylvania for a while. I don't see this changing any time soon)