Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Transgender Men Joining Fraternities

Featured Replies

Chi Phi, One of the Nation's Oldest Fraternities, Votes to Allow Some Transgender Men - ABC News

 

Someone posted this article last week in the Global Facebook group for my Fraternity and it has stirred a ton off comments from many of all ages.

 

I filtered through some of the comments last night and it seemed like a lot of people were split. There were a lot of comments that were extremely against the idea and how it was totally against the ideals of the Fraternity based on what Founders created in 1868.

 

There were also plenty of others that thought the Fraternity should be all-inclusive and allow transgendered men, if they would be great/productive members to the organization.

 

What do you think? I'd especially like to hear from any Fraternity men on the site.

  • Author

For what it's worth, I believe that our International Fraternity Headquarters stated that it was up to each individual local Chapter. Basically not taking a set stance on the topic. However, since they are not against it, they allow it. Unless I am assuming incorrectly.

For what it's worth, I believe that our International Fraternity Headquarters stated that it was up to each individual local Chapter. Basically not taking a set stance on the topic. However, since they are not against it, they allow it. Unless I am assuming incorrectly.

 

I kind of like that approach. Allows the chapters to choose their own way.

I'm not sure where I stand on this one. I believe there are fraternities for many different kinds of groups from social to academic. If I was a transgender and wanted in a fraternity I feel like my aim would be to either join one that would have the entire fraternity welcome me or I would look to start a fraternity for transgenders. Without going into too much detail I could see more harm than good coming from fraternities being forced to accept someone they don't want. Every semester people are rejected by fraternities for a myriad of reasons and the unwritten rule of fraternities is that this is an acceptable practice. I wouldn't want to see that unwritten rule have to be changed and written.

Why Fraternities and not Sororities?

 

Frats pick and choose who they want anyway. You rush and they vote on allowing you to pay to be their friends.

They should join sororities to create dominant intramural teams.

  • Author
I'm not sure where I stand on this one. I believe there are fraternities for many different kinds of groups from social to academic. If I was a transgender and wanted in a fraternity I feel like my aim would be to either join one that would have the entire fraternity welcome me or I would look to start a fraternity for transgenders. Without going into too much detail I could see more harm than good coming from fraternities being forced to accept someone they don't want. Every semester people are rejected by fraternities for a myriad of reasons and the unwritten rule of fraternities is that this is an acceptable practice. I wouldn't want to see that unwritten rule have to be changed and written.

 

I'm with you PP92. I can see both sides, but I lean towards not wanting a transgendered man joining my organization.

 

FWIW, I believe that transgendered fraternities have been created. However, I doubt there on many campuses yet.

  • Author
I'm not sure where I stand on this one. I believe there are fraternities for many different kinds of groups from social to academic. If I was a transgender and wanted in a fraternity I feel like my aim would be to either join one that would have the entire fraternity welcome me or I would look to start a fraternity for transgenders. Without going into too much detail I could see more harm than good coming from fraternities being forced to accept someone they don't want. Every semester people are rejected by fraternities for a myriad of reasons and the unwritten rule of fraternities is that this is an acceptable practice. I wouldn't want to see that unwritten rule have to be changed and written.

 

For conversation sake....

 

What if I told you that my International Fraternity did not use to allow the initiation of African-American men? I'm not sure when they revoked that but it's been a while. We also didn't use to allow gay men (I believe). Do you feel the same? They should just start their own or as a black guy, do you feel like you should be able to join the Fraternity of your choice?

 

I ask because our Fraternity has since progressed and allowed black guys and gay guys. Some on that FB thread argued that we should continue progressing.

  • Author

Frats pick and choose who they want anyway. You rush and they vote on allowing you

 

Agreed.

 

However over the years Fraternities & Sororities have taken heat in certain situations for not being all-inclusive. Predominate white Fraternities/Sororities are often called racist. Seen people go crazy when a heavy set girl can't be found in a sorority composite.

For conversation sake....

 

What if I told you that my International Fraternity did not use to allow the initiation of African-American men? I'm not sure when they revoked that but it's been a while. We also didn't use to allow gay men (I believe). Do you feel the same? They should just start their own or as a black guy, do you feel like you should be able to join the Fraternity of your choice?

 

I ask because our Fraternity has since progressed and allowed black guys and gay guys. Some on that FB thread argued that we should continue progressing.

 

 

Well, when I was in college I was going to pledge Kappa Alpha Psi which is a black fraternity. I never had a desire to join a white fraternity and there is no way I would have joined one if there weren't black fraternity options. The thing that makes fraternities special is the feeling that you have to be the best of the best to be a part of their special bond. I'd hate to see that feeling cheapened for any reason. I have no issue with any fraternity being exclusionary but I also applaud fraternities that are inclusionary as well as progressive.

  • Author
Well, when I was in college I was going to pledge Kappa Alpha Psi which is a black fraternity.

 

Was a good group of guys at NKU. We had a few events together.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.