April 20, 201610 yr Whether it was Bob or Walt, neither one learned anything during their time in St. Louis. You are exactly correct, those contracts are terrible deals. However, the most criminal aspect of this is that there is very little in a Farm System that was pretty healthy before either got here. You can't run a successful small to middle market baseball team without a top notch farm system. Well, not a successful one for very long. Last I saw, the Reds had the #12 ranked farm system entering 2016.
April 20, 201610 yr Last I saw, the Reds had the #12 ranked farm system entering 2016. Right, but they are just now coming back. They traded so much away that they were almost forced to hold onto Votto and Phillips. Bailey was just a bad dilemma. They knew that they wouldn't be able to afford their starters and Bailey was going to be least expensive.
April 20, 201610 yr Who's to blame? MLB is to blame. The Union is to blame. Baseball finances are so disproportionate that there is very little chance a smaller size market team can be very competitive for a long period of time. During he Reds run, they needed one more guy to get them over the hump- a big bat in LF. Those guys cost $12-15 million a season. You've got to sell a lot of jerseys to recoup that cost with the hope that it's enough. Worst case you sell your future (kids from the minors) and then when you can't afford the big check every week you're left with Simon, Diaz, Hamilton, etc.
April 21, 201610 yr Bulk of the blame lands at the top with Banana Bob. He acts as a fan and not an owner far too often when it comes to signing veterans and the contracts of Votto, Phillips and Bailey put the franchise in their current situation. It is his call on what the team can and cannot spend, and he backed Jockety into a corner when it came to what he was able to work with... I have a hard time believing that Bob forced Jocketty to make those signings...
April 21, 201610 yr I have a hard time believing that Bob forced Jocketty to make those signings... Then you have a hard time understanding how this franchise is structured...
April 21, 201610 yr Then you have a hard time understanding how this franchise is structured... Hmmm we will see. So you know for fact?
April 21, 201610 yr Hmmm we will see. So you know for fact? Yes. The contracts for Votto, BP and Bailey were a direct result of doing what Banana Bob ordered...
April 21, 201610 yr Hmmm we will see. So you know for fact? Isnt it obvious, the Reds are nothing more than Bobs little fun toy.
April 21, 201610 yr Isnt it obvious, the Reds are nothing more than Bobs little fun toy. His heart is in the right place, but to manage a small market team the tough decisions can't be made with the fan cap on. Extend guys early to buy a year or two after arbitration cheap if you can, and move them for young talent you can control before they hit the open market. The decision to go "all in" for 2012-2014 was a smart move for the most part, but in the process they crippled the foreseeable future. And here we are...
April 21, 201610 yr Yes. The contracts for Votto, BP and Bailey were a direct result of doing what Banana Bob ordered... Well I wasn't in the room. People may say that, but if you look at how Walt's relationship with the DeWitt family ended that would be a total 180 on Walt's end. Also with the similarities between the 2014-2015 Reds with the 2007-2008 Cardinals, it's difficult to place the blame on Bob. I'd say bulk goes to Walt.
April 21, 201610 yr Well I wasn't in the room. People may say that, but if you look at how Walt's relationship with the DeWitt family ended that would be a total 180 on Walt's end. Also with the similarities between the 2014-2015 Reds with the 2007-2008 Cardinals, it's difficult to place the blame on Bob. I'd say bulk goes to Walt. I never said Jockety was against it. Just that the orders came from above. You are free to be wrong as often as you like. I won't lose any sleep over it...
April 21, 201610 yr I never said Jockety was against it. Just that the orders came from above. You are free to be wrong as often as you like. I won't lose any sleep over it... Walt wasn't against it, but the order came from Bob... I didn't realize they let that stuff out, it's a tight lip group down there.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.