Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New St. Henry Soccer Coach

Featured Replies

Read on the internet (so it must be true :) ) Fran Szovati is new head coach at St. Henry.

 

From my experience Fran is a good guy, knows the game, and I think the Crusader girls will enjoy playing for him.

Any details on him? Where did he coach before?

  • Author
Any details on him? Where did he coach before?

 

He has coached at Kings - various age groups. His daughter and son both played for Campbell County.

 

Z89: You won't like him. :D

As long as he treats the girls with respect and doesn't push the club attitude I will be fine. I don't' prejudge. :whistling:

  • Author
As long as he treats the girls with respect and doesn't push the club attitude I will be fine. I don't' prejudge. :whistling:

 

Like I said, you won't like him. :lol:

What is a club attitude?

 

Pushing the idea that you can't play unless you play top level club. Also comparing the team to his club teams like this is how my club team plays and it should be done like my club team plays. Not spend the year trying to convince kids to play for his club team. Just be a coach and teach the kids. From what I hear St. Henry will be in good hands.

But every coach knows the higher level club the kids play in the offseason the more competitive team you should have so I see the old St. Henry coaches point to where are you playing in the offseason.

Not picking on club coaches because my son has played top club for the last few years and his coaches were and are great. My point is just let the girls prove themselves on the pitch and not prejudge them because of what club team they play for. That's all. I'm sure he will be great. I'll have to say a change is what St Henry needed. Sorry one more thing is I hope he keeps it in perspective and realizes this is high school soccer and let the girls enjoy the game and experience.

What does its only high school mean? Some kids enjoy the competitive experience with high school and take pride in their success with their schoolmates.

What does its only high school mean? Some kids enjoy the competitive experience with high school and take pride in their success with their schoolmates.

 

It's not life or death it's only a sport in which most girls won't even play after high school and will move on with their lives. It has nothing to do with being competitive because mine are as competitive as it gets but they don't do whatever it takes to get there outside of working their butt off. I just feel different than most people about the winning at all cost attitude that has become the norm in sports today.It's not what I teach my kids. I have a daughter that played all 4 years and had no desire to play in it college or even pursue it after high school but she loved playing with the girls and had fun until her last year when the coach started bringing in his club players and treated the none club players different and almost made my daughter and others not want to play their senior year. I convinced her to finish and enjoy everything that goes along with being a senior. She never played club ball and did just fine. She played varsity since she was a sophomore. It's not just soccer but all sports and it's a shame it's turned it to this. I'm not saying my opinion is right or it's the only one it's just how I feel about all sports today.

Club players have a huge impact on HS soccer, they will only impact the sport more and more in yrs to come. The game is more technical and the coaching has improved at a lot of schools, all of these aspects are making the HS game better. With few exceptions, schools not having a number of top level club players and good coaching will win far and few regional titles. I see not fault in this. The kids (and parents) that dedicate themselves to the sport by playing year round, spending hours and hours on their own just to keep up with their club teammates should be rewarded. The kids playing top level club are not handed anything for free, they have to work their tails off day after day, year after year just to hold their club roster spot. I suspect it is the same way in BB, volleyball, baseball, tennis and many other sports.

I'm fine with the kids not wanting this out of a sport, but they should not complain when their HS favors the more skilled, better players. Some kids just want to be a part of something, thats great enjoy it for just that. But some of these same kids' parents complain about playing time, coaching, etc.

IMO St Henry's goal should be a regional title every year, anything less is down grading the program. I see no shame in this. Nor do I see shame in schools setting very high academic expectations. If you don't set high expectations, the students/athletes have nothing to aim for. Mediocre won't get you far in life these days.

If a non club player is on a high school team and is more talented or better than a club player, then the non club player gets the minutes. No kid should be penalized for not participating year round in a particular sport. The non club player should get an equal opportunity to prove he/she can play. Bottom line on my point is this. A club player should get zero preference over a non club player.

 

It always gets me when a kid shows up after practice has started in one sport because he or she was playing another sport and people get all ticked off when that player gets more minutes. If that player is better even though he or she is not playing that sport year round like other kids, then that kid still deserves the minutes. Yes, it is irritating when little Johnny or Jill plays year round and still isn't better than the other kid, but the best kid gets the minutes.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.