8th Grade 14u AAU

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was time for those kids to play some nationally. We started playing some regional tournys as 6th graders but then had some injuries as 7th and didnt play as much. plus we never could find a national level big to go with what we had.

Will most of those boys be going to North and South Laurel?

Will most of those boys be going to North and South Laurel?
The group I had one year older almost all go to south laurel with exception of two. both those was north but one has transferred to madison southern. This group had kids from 4 schools 3 South Laurel,1 Boyle,1 Estill and rest pulaski

NKY Legends will be a good team to watch. Could def compete at D1 level

Age vs grade rules cloud this issue a little, but in the past if you won the national D2 championship (as the Legends did) you were required to play up in D1. I don't know if that rule will apply since they won an "age based" D2, but I would like to hear if anyone has addressed that.

Age vs grade rules cloud this issue a little, but in the past if you won the national D2 championship (as the Legends did) you were required to play up in D1. I don't know if that rule will apply since they won an "age based" D2, but I would like to hear if anyone has addressed that.

Yea I think you are right. They will have to play up in D1. I hadnt thought about that. Yea the age vs grade thing is an issue somewhat but it wont be at state or nationals. I know louisville magic have about even mix of kids that have to play grade vs age so they will play grade based

How do we feel about the age/grade issue? I get what it's trying to do, certainly. But, I also know legit 8th graders (freshman to be), who turn 15 before Aug 31st. They may have started school late, but have only ever played kids/bodies in that age group. So, now, they are required to play 15U (HS level) where there is essentially limitless exceptions.

Thoughts?

My son has not been held back but did start late because he was very immature and causing some issues with his pre school. He had a summer birthday so we decided to hold him a year. He has been 14 his whole 8th grade year but has to play as grade or 15u which I don't mind at all but the date Aau uses to determine age needs moved imo. Sept 1 is not good for a sport that runs from March/April to july. Little league probably has it right

It is a huge issue up until the kids hit puberty. At that point kids level off pretty well. But, like Playmaker says. The date is completely wrong. Summer birthday kids are at a huge disadvantage. Last year I had 4 kids whose birthday was between 7-1 and the 8-31 cutoff. But were considered too old for 13U none of them were ever held back. The thing that bothered me was only one kid played in games after he turned 14 and he was the smallest kid on the team.