"Obscure" albums from back in the day

Lawnboy13

I can remember playing the :poop: out of this cassette...vz.jpg

This was the 4th album by the Johnny Van Zant led band, released in 1985. This album saw chart success with "You've Got to Believe in Love" (#26) and "I'm a Fighter" (#16), both of which peaked on the Mainstream Rock Tracks chart. Back in the day, WEBN played 4 songs off this album regularly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3eCRSran00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nPEgXpQ15w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brdh1qmBX0M

Southern Rock and Marvelous Marvin Hagler :thumb:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can remember playing the :poop: out of this cassette...[ATTACH=CONFIG]54006[/ATTACH]

This was the 4th album by the Johnny Van Zant led band, released in 1985. This album saw chart success with "You've Got to Believe in Love" (#26) and "I'm a Fighter" (#16), both of which peaked on the Mainstream Rock Tracks chart. Back in the day, WEBN played 4 songs off this album regularly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3eCRSran00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nPEgXpQ15w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brdh1qmBX0M

Southern Rock and Marvelous Marvin Hagler :thumb:

I'm familiar with the Van Zant name because of Ronnie being the lead singer of Lynyrd Skynyrd, and then his brother Johnny, and also the 38 Special connection, but I only recall this project by name alone, and not by sound.

I listened to all of these songs thinking that I was bound to remember at least one of them, but I didn't recognize any of them.

I was expecting a more southern rock sound out of them, but surprisingly they sounded more like polished 80's middle of the road hard rock in maybe a similar vein as Rainbow or Survivor possibly. At least those were the first two band names that entered my mind.

I listened to WEBN, Q102, & WSAI pretty religiously from childhood to until I was about 20 in 1984, then stuff like MTV and other alternative sounds were starting to catch my attention.

If this came out in '85 It's likely that I was already beginning to drift away, so it's very possible WEBN was playing this stuff when I was starting to listen less to it.

I must've still been paying a little bit of attention to WEBN at the time because it seems like Whitesnake and Great White were hot around that time, and I recall seeing a double bill show of the two of them around that time.

My guitar player friend Joey who's 4 years younger than me would probably have been on top of all of this because while I was drifting to other sounds, he stayed understandably so, deeply rooted into guitar oriented rock of all sorts, and at that time I think that I was getting somewhat more wrapped up into the 80's euro synth sound, and an assortment of other things while still hanging onto a little bit of balls out heavy metal (Metallica, Queensryche, Dio, Sabbath, Accept, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Krokus, & Judas Priest) and some progressive rock like (Yes, Marillion, & Rush).

Every once in awhile years ago before it was super easy to research a band before making a purchase, once in awhile I'd take a chance on a band I'd never heard of simply because something about the album cover would catch my attention.

This happened to me in '85 with a band named "Opus" from Austria that I had never heard of. I still have the album, but honestly don't recall but one song on it by the name "Live Is Life".

Apparently the song was wildly famous in Europe, but I don't think that I've ever talked to anyone who remembers it.

It's a bit cheesy, but I do actually like the song and in a weird way the lead singer sorta sounds like Jon Anderson of Yes to me with his high voice. It's an uplifting positive song.

Here's the band doing it back when it was a hit, and it's also interesting to see multitudes of folks digging it today as if the song was an anthem for their life. We here in the states were not aware of it, but in Europe they most certainly were.

In the early days of MTV, British band Talk Talk happened on the scene firstly with a pop sound consistent with the day on their debut release "The Party's Over" that was mostly known for the single "Talk Talk", then continuing with a fantastic second release "It's My Life" that still felt very 80's MTV era while hinting that they were so much more than that.

Their 3rd effort "The Colour of Spring" is where they really hit their stride by finding a timeless sound all their own which didn't resonate much with the masses because fad seekers didn't know how to categorize them by this point, but nonetheless this release was incredible, though probably not a sound for everyone.

They continued to distance themselves from the general public with two more odd off putting releases "Spirit of Eden" & "Laughing Stock" that while interesting to a listener that likes to be challenged, these albums did nothing to regain any of the fans that liked them for the sound that they entered the music scene with as these efforts were more slow and moodier, offering contemplative mostly depressing soundscapes that would no longer resemble any sense of pop, as they were completely out of the ordinary of commercial type releases of the day.

I dig every part of their career that spanned from 1982-1991, but it's hard for me not to be most impressed with "The Colour of Spring" in it's timeless originality, while still having a sound that, though undeniably moody, still held a mellow dramatic sense of pop that begged for repeated listens.

Their last two releases while interesting, you really have to be a in a certain mood for them, but all in all the band Talk Talk was rather obscure back when they were, and even more so now.

The general public would most likely prefer their "It's My Life" release and understandably so as it's quite a pop gem, but for evolving into their own unique sound I have to give a big nod to "The Colour of Spring" for its timeless originality.

Originating in the early 80's the British band "The The" which basically was the mind child of songwriter Matt Johnson never exactly took the states by storm or became a household name, but put out some pretty original stuff up until the year 2000, peaking with their/his phenomenal timeless, future telling release "Mind Bomb" that eerily is still very relevant today in its content regarding the political state of the world.

The dude in 1989 was really foreseeing where we are today, and his sound has never become dated.

Good lord if anything listen to the 2nd track "Armageddon Days are Here Again" that paints perfectly that Matt was ahead of his time.

The The - Mind Bomb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOjdInPbx9s