Driverless, automated cars and the law

Bluegrasscard

There was a fascinating discussion on the WHAS radio this morning about the quandary the developers of the driverless, automated cars that Google and others are working on.

The premise is that driving community has its own way of regulating themselves that sometimes is in conflict with the law. (Maybe more than 'sometimes'.). Example is speed driven on interstate. The norm is usually above the posted speed limit. Driving at or 5 or 10 MPH less than the speed limit may even create hazardous conditions. The discussion cited other things like at stop signs. You should come to a complete stop at the sign even if you have already stopped due to cars in front of you. Most of us roll through the stop sign if a group of cars is taking advantage of gaps in the traffic - not coming to complete stop when you are at the top of the line and at the sign.

So the problem for the developers is this.

Do you program the cars to account for the 'human nature of driving' and allow the computer driven car to 'occasionally' break the law to somewhat 'go-with-flow'? Or do you program the computer to always obey the law?

There was a fascinating discussion on the WHAS radio this morning about the quandary the developers of the driverless, automated cars that Google and others are working on.

The premise is that driving community has its own way of regulating themselves that sometimes is in conflict with the law. (Maybe more than 'sometimes'.). Example is speed driven on interstate. The norm is usually above the posted speed limit. Driving at or 5 or 10 MPH less than the speed limit may even create hazardous conditions. The discussion cited other things like at stop signs. You should come to a complete stop at the sign even if you have already stopped due to cars in front of you. Most of us roll through the stop sign if a group of cars is taking advantage of gaps in the traffic - not coming to complete stop when you are at the top of the line and at the sign.

So the problem for the developers is this.

Do you program the cars to account for the 'human nature of driving' and allow the computer driven car to 'occasionally' break the law to somewhat 'go-with-flow'? Or do you program the computer to always obey the law?

This.

Us humans could use a little consistency for once.

True, but all states are not no fault states. What if the car malfunctions and goes 69 in a 55 just to keep pace with traffic. I'm asleep because the car is autonomous. Who gets the ticket? Is it even viable to have human driven and computer driven cars on the same roadway? Different roads?

KY being a no fault state has NOTHING to do with fault in an accident. The no fault refers to injury. KY is a comparative negligence state. In other words, yes someone is at fault in every accident and if the lawyers get involved fault could eventually be described in percentages.

Just for reference, here is more from a high quality local law firm and yes that is an unpaid endorsement:

What is Kentucky's no-fault insurance law?

Kentucky's no-fault insurance law actually has nothing to do with fault. It is a law about how insurance benefits must be paid in the event of an automobile accident resulting in injury. [Note: No-fault does not apply to damage to your car, which is covered under the "collision"provision of your policy and/or the "property damage liability"provision of the at-fault vehicle's policy

Under this law, a person involved in an automobile accident must look to the insurance policy on the car in which they were occupying at the time of the accident to collect all amounts up to $10,000 in out-of-pocket losses. As a backup, anyone except the driver of an uninsured vehicle can fall back on his or her own insurance No-fault benefits are also known as Personal Injury Protection or PIP.

These out-of-pocket costs include medical bills, prescriptions, a limited benefit for lost wages, funeral bills up to $1000, and "survivor's loss of services". The wage loss benefit on most policies is capped at $200 per week. Added coverage (called "added PIP") is available on request. Added PIP can also be "stacked," creating more than the "basic coverage"of $10,000. Basic coverage up to $10,000 cannot be stacked.

FAQ - Auto Accidents | Busald Funk Zevely, P.S.C. | Northern Kentucky

In my opinion there wouldn't be any tickets (no matter the state) but rather it would be a civil action. You can't ticket a non-driver for driving a car.

Obviously the insurance industry and the law needs to get working on this new tech.

And eventually we probably won't be allowed to manually drive or if we do so our insurance rates will be much higher.

In my opinion there wouldn't be any tickets (no matter the state) but rather it would be a civil action. You can't ticket a non-driver for driving a car.

Obviously the insurance industry and the law needs to get working on this new tech.

And eventually we probably won't be allowed to manually drive or if we do so our insurance rates will be much higher.

Nope they won't. It will be government as usual. They will wait till the last minute and pass bad legislation in a rush or just ban the autonomous cars all together.

Nope they won't. It will be government as usual. They will wait till the last minute and pass bad legislation in a rush or just ban the autonomous cars all together.

Doubt it, just like drones we are going to start having issues and the government will have to address it.

Doubt it, just like drones we are going to start having issues and the government will have to address it.

There are definitely going to be issues when the human element of driving is still on the road, drunk drivers, distracted, speeders, high and just plain idiots. I'm sure they will address it but with the same level of partisanship and Incompetence as usual. I love my country. I'm really starting to loathe my government's decisions. I don't have the faith that they can handle important issues. They are just really good at wasting money. But won't it be nice when you can have a drink and not have to drive home, read the paper or electronic device without killing someone along with yourself. Would make the roads safer. I want to sleep like the kids do on the trip to Florida.. Lol