Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

OK Bible Scholars, Please Interpret This

Featured Replies

In John 13:36, Peter is asking Jesus about why he is leaving and where he is going :

 

 

John 13:36 New International Version (NIV)

 

36 Simon Peter asked him, “Lord, where are you going?”

 

Jesus replied, “Where I am going, you cannot follow now, but you will follow later.”

 

Then in John 16:5 Jesus inquirers why no one has asked hime where he is going?

 

5 but now I am going to him who sent me. None of you asks me, ‘Where are you going?’

 

Can someone resolve this contradiction for me?

 

Thank You!

I like it PP, you got your new Premium Swimsuit on and you jumped right in!

Sure, two different authors.

  • Author
Sure, two different authors.

 

In the same Gospel?

In the same Gospel?

Sorry, I thought you quoted Matthew first. I'll read with the entire context and offer a response shortly.

He didn't essentially answer the question in your first passage. Then in your second passage he lays heavy news on them about he persecution they will face. Then he even says in the context of the passage that they aren't necessarily worried about where he's going, they can't get over the heavy news he just laid on them that they aren't even concerned about the bigger thing of where he's going. I see no contradiction at all. Let's be honest, think of the gravity of the Christ being in your presence and essentially selling your entire life for his sake and he's getting ready to leave you, which is something that would be extremely difficult to grasp, don't you think? I'd imagine that the question of where is he going was a common conversation amongst the disciples.

He didn't essentially answer the question in your first passage. Then in your second passage he lays heavy news on them about he persecution they will face. Then he even says in the context of the passage that they aren't necessarily worried about where he's going, they can't get over the heavy news he just laid on them that they aren't even concerned about the bigger thing of where he's going. I see no contradiction at all. Let's be honest, think of the gravity of the Christ being in your presence and essentially selling your entire life for his sake and he's getting ready to leave you, which is something that would be extremely difficult to grasp, don't you think? I'd imagine that the question of where is he going was a common conversation amongst the disciples.

Good answer! I'll add.

Peter indeed asked the question, ( John 13:36 ) ; but his meaning was, what part of the country he was going to? what private and inaccessible place he was about to betake himself to? he had no notion of his going out of the world, or to heaven to his Father, and therefore inquired nothing about it; and when Christ had suggested to his disciples, that he was going to his Father's house, to prepare mansions for them, they did not seem to understand him, ( John 14:2 John 14:3 John 14:5 ) . They didn't ask what he meant by his Father's house, or what those mansions were he was going to prepare.

  • Author
Good answer! I'll add.

Peter indeed asked the question, ( John 13:36 ) ; but his meaning was, what part of the country he was going to? what private and inaccessible place he was about to betake himself to? he had no notion of his going out of the world, or to heaven to his Father, and therefore inquired nothing about it; and when Christ had suggested to his disciples, that he was going to his Father's house, to prepare mansions for them, they did not seem to understand him, ( John 14:2 John 14:3 John 14:5 ) . They didn't ask what he meant by his Father's house, or what those mansions were he was going to prepare.

 

This statement by Jesus :

 

Jesus replied, “Where I am going, you cannot follow now, but you will follow later.”

 

Does not seem to imply that the context of the question is geography, but heavenly.

This statement by Jesus :

 

Jesus replied, “Where I am going, you cannot follow now, but you will follow later.”

 

Does not seem to imply that the context of the question is geography, but heavenly.

Some commentary alludes to his assertion there as meaning the cross, or ultimate sacrifice. And the disciples did follow similarly later.

This statement by Jesus :

 

Jesus replied, “Where I am going, you cannot follow now, but you will follow later.”

 

Does not seem to imply that the context of the question is geography, but heavenly.

You bring up a very good point which is the context of the question. Verse 33 Jesus talks about the Jews & in verse 36 Peter seems to have thought, that Christ, being rejected by the Jews, would go to some other part of the earth to erect his throne, where he might reign without disturbance. Peter would not believe him. As spindoc said Jesus was talking the ultimate sacrifice. Peter was having difficulty grasping what Jesus was telling him. In verse 37 Peter asks Jesus why he can't follow him. In verse 38 Jesus is telling Peter it isn't your time to follow me because if you were ready now you wouldn't deny me not once but 3 times in the very near future.

 

32If God is glorified in him,c God will glorify the Son in himself, and will glorify him at once.

 

33“My children, I will be with you only a little longer. You will look for me, and just as I told the Jews, so I tell you now: Where I am going, you cannot come.

 

34“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

 

36Simon Peter asked him, “Lord, where are you going?”

 

Jesus replied, “Where I am going, you cannot follow now, but you will follow later.”

 

37Peter asked, “Lord, why can’t I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.”

 

38Then Jesus answered, “Will you really lay down your life for me? Very truly I tell you, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.