Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Sacred Heart 53 Highlands 52

Featured Replies

I wonder how the HHS players and parents that are 100% dedicated to basketball, and seeing playing time now, feel about a club soccer player joining the team later this month, someone that could potentially limit playing time of someone who's there 100% now.

 

You can get on here and tell me that everyone is fine with the situation, but I can almost guarantee you, someone at HHS is not fine with it, or won't be in about a month. Special rules for special players rarely has a 100% acceptance rate.

 

If the coach is ok with it, she is a good teammate, and she can help the team win...that's all that should matter. A parents hurt feelings is the one thing that should not be a factor. Rarely in life is there 100% acceptance rate for anything.

  • Replies 38
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry but you all seem to think that public school kids should not or do not have the option to attend a private school. It is a sad fact theat public schools especially in Louisville are not very good. If a kid is academically focused why should they not have the opportunity to attend a private school of that is what their parents think is their best option? It not always about recruitng

I am sorry but you all seem to think that public school kids should not or do not have the option to attend a private school. It is a sad fact theat public schools especially in Louisville are not very good. If a kid is academically focused why should they not have the opportunity to attend a private school of that is what their parents think is their best option? It not always about recruitng

 

I couldn't agree more. However, there has been instances of it being about recruiting. Not saying at this school...just in general. So the few that abuse the "they just want a better education" makes many skeptical of every situation.

Spot on RCC9! I am all for kids having an opportunity to get a better education if that's what it's about. Unfortunately, it seems the public school kids who are offered this better education, at some schools, coincidentally, happen to be great ball players! I know a lot of public school parents who would love for their kids to get a free education at the private schools, but unfortunately are not given that opportunity unless their kid is a great athlete. I am one of those parents and when I looked into it, I was offered very little in assistance. By the way, I am a low-income single parent.

Understand Spartan Power.. it depends on the parents and the 'village' surrounding the child. With the current security issues amidst JCPS I understand more parents really looking at the option of private schools. There is money out there for use (grant in aid, academic scholarships,..etc), you just have to look and make a decision as what is in the best interest of the child. Is it worth it? Having been a public school junkie and now have kids, I reluctantly say it is, but depends on the situation and child.

Spot on RCC9! I am all for kids having an opportunity to get a better education if that's what it's about. Unfortunately, it seems the public school kids who are offered this better education, at some schools, coincidentally, happen to be great ball players! I know a lot of public school parents who would love for their kids to get a free education at the private schools, but unfortunately are not given that opportunity unless their kid is a great athlete. I am one of those parents and when I looked into it, I was offered very little in assistance. By the way, I am a low-income single parent.

 

So you know for a fact that these kids are enrolled at Sacred Heart tuition free or are you making assumptions?

I am friend with 2 former players that I know were tuition free. Something about a lawyer donates the tuition for them. Let me be clear, I have no issues with helping those who can't afford a private school education, get that opportunity. I'm probably a little bitter because my daughter, who went to Farnsley and wasn't a great basketball player, was not given the same opportunities as her 2 good friends who were good basketball players.

Those kids that you mentioned did not attend 100% for free either. I can easily confirm. There are endowments available to private schools based on race, financial situation, legacy to school..etc. Only 'free ride' that I know about is for scoring high on the placement test (top 5%). Not freebies for athletes, no matter how talented someone is perceived to be. If people took the time to investigate, then the discussion about 'freebies' wouldn't exist because NOTHING IN LIFE IS FREE.

Those kids that you mentioned did not attend 100% for free either. I can easily confirm. There are endowments available to private schools based on race, financial situation, legacy to school..etc. Only 'free ride' that I know about is for scoring high on the placement test (top 5%). Not freebies for athletes, no matter how talented someone is perceived to be. If people took the time to investigate, then the discussion about 'freebies' wouldn't exist because NOTHING IN LIFE IS FREE.

 

Just by reading that post, it didn't sound like they said they attended for free. It sounded like they are saying someone paid for them. (With the assumption the reason was because they were an athlete). I don't know and I don't care. But there is a difference in free or "was paid for". If someone paid for them, then to the school's books would have them as "paid". It sounds like they are saying there was a "sponsor" of some sort that awarded the "sponsorship" based on athletics.

 

Have no idea of the validity of that story. But I know that happens at some private schools and that's where private schools get the "shady" label/perception when it comes to athletes. May be hard to prove, but it happens.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.