Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Speaking in "Tongues" --- The Psychology of the Religious Mind. Your Thoughts?

Featured Replies

^Are you as smug, mocking, and condescending to them as you are to those of the Christian faith on here?

^Are you as smug, mocking, and condescending to them as you are to those of the Christian faith on here?

 

LOL I was just getting ready to ask the same question!

  • Author
^Are you as smug, mocking, and condescending to them as you are to those of the Christian faith on here?

 

Only if they are as smug and condescending as you and Farrah. ;) No, honestly, I don't go in to my anti-religion feelings with my Christian friends. I think most of them probably believe that am a Bible-believing Christian in the mold of Kirk Cameron rather than a "no fear of burning in hell" Ron Reagan. Considering some of the things they believe, one more fairytale won't hurt them.

 

I do have one serious question for you(and Farrah). How would you say that I should I express my very anti-religious views on a forum such as this without being characterized as condescending or being a mocker? In other words, if I say, "I don't believe that there is a man above the clouds watching or caring what I do because there has never been one single piece of evidence indicating that. Science, on the other hand, provides plenty of evidence how we came about and when we came about. Thus, I choose to believe science over what I deem as pure fiction."

 

I think that's a very fair statement about what I and most atheists/agnostics believe. Yet when I make a statement like that, don't you think you or others will say that I am mocking or being condescending? How can I say the very negative things that I believe to be true about MAN'S religion without being labeled a mocker?

Only if they are as smug and condescending as you and Farrah. ;) No, honestly, I don't go in to my anti-religion feelings with my Christian friends. I think most of them probably believe that am a Bible-believing Christian in the mold of Kirk Cameron rather than a "no fear of burning in hell" Ron Reagan. Considering some of the things they believe, one more fairytale won't hurt them.

 

I do have one serious question for you(and Farrah). How would you say that I should I express my very anti-religious views on a forum such as this without being characterized as condescending or being a mocker? In other words, if I say, "I don't believe that there is a man above the clouds watching or caring what I do because there has never been one single piece of evidence indicating that. Science, on the other hand, provides plenty of evidence how we came about and when we came about. Thus, I choose to believe science over what I deem as pure fiction."

 

I think that's a very fair statement about what I and most atheists/agnostics believe. Yet when I make a statement like that, don't you think you or others will say that I am mocking or being condescending? How can I say the very negative things that I believe to be true about MAN'S religion without being labeled a mocker?

 

You could take some lessons from @B-Ball-fan on how to express yourself and your beliefs without insulting those who do not share the same beliefs.

When the cat (not the la version) goes to the bathroom in the sandbox we have to close the sandbox.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.