Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ryle 8 NewCath 7

Featured Replies

7.08(i) After he has acquired legal possession of a base, he runs the bases in reverse order for the purpose of confusing the defense or making a travesty of the game. The umpire shall immediately call “Time” and declare the runner out;

 

This may be where the ruling comes from atm it is the best that I can do. My bet is that it isnt directly stated in the rule book as a situation however involves a combination of a few rules.

 

It could also in some ways be considered as a runner vacating his priority to a base, much like a runner instead of running out a dropped third strike proceeds to walk toward the dugout.

It's been a few years, and I know it doesn't matter now because the game is over, but from what I'm reading the umps blew a rule call here.

 

I know VMA wants a specific rule, and I'll have to get back to you on that, but this is a synopsis of what I remember: On a batted live ball, the batter/runner must continue to advance from home to first. If the batter/runner stops his advance toward first base, he should be called out immediately.

 

I think other baserunners may advance at their own peril??? i.e. no time called by the home plate ump.

 

I'm 99% sure that the batter/runner needs not move backwards. Simply stopping his advance toward first calls for the out.

 

The baseline or basepath has nothing to do with this particular call.

I don't think there is any rule in OBR (FED could be different) that automatically causes a batter/runner to be out for going backwards (ie towards home plate).

I don't think there is any rule in OBR (FED could be different) that automatically causes a batter/runner to be out for going backwards (ie towards home plate).

What are OBR and FED???

It is an interesting play when looked at. Either way, congrats to the raiders on a big comeback victory. The 3 run homer in the 6th was huge. Great game to watch from all perspectives. I really personally hope Ryle wins the region tomorrow, especially considering everything that they have been through. Im sure it would have meant a lot to their principal, and will continue to mean even more to the school as they are mourning. Congrats Raiders! Keep on fightin!

It is an interesting play when looked at. Either way, congrats to the raiders on a big comeback victory. The 3 run homer in the 6th was huge. Great game to watch from all perspectives. I really personally hope Ryle wins the region tomorrow, especially considering everything that they have been through. Im sure it would have meant a lot to their principal, and will continue to mean even more to the school as they are mourning. Congrats Raiders! Keep on fightin!

 

Best of luck to both teams tonight. Should be a good game. BTW to VMA my rule post was in no way to be disrespectful. Simply the way I think it is.

Congratulations to Ryle on a fine comeback victory. Tough break for Newcath playing superb up until the last couple innings. Good luck to the Raiders in the Regional final.

Congratulations to Ryle on a fine comeback victory. Tough break for Newcath playing superb up until the last couple innings. Good luck to the Raiders in the Regional final.

 

Agreed, they just seemed to fall apart in that last inning. And the fact that Ryle won on a wild pitch didn't surprise me at all, as I told those sitting with me on the pitch prior to the NCC throwing the wild one, that Ryle would win on a wild pitch. You could just see the NCC kid throwing the ball at that point and not pitching it, (big difference) as he was rattled big time.......

 

I too questioned the call on the bunt, but when no one else seemed to say anything on the field about the play, I just assumed that I was wrong. Glad I am not the only one who thought the play/non call strange......

 

Good luck to both Beechwood and Ryle tonight, and I surely hope there are more fans attending this fine match up tonight.....

Gentlemen,

This is from the 2006 NFHS (FED) Rules Case Book verbatim; Rule 8.1.1 Situation A: "With R1 on first base, B2 bunts to F3 who fields the ball on the first bounce near the foul line. B2 stops and reverses toward home to avoid being tagged out by F3, who then throws to F6 for a forceout on R1, and the relay throw fails to retire B2 at first base. RULING: As long as B2 did not touch or run beyond home nor leave the base path to avoid a tag, the action is legal."

 

Except for the try for the force out at second, this covers the situation you described exactly. I knew the runner could stop (to avoid being tagged) in order to make the defense throw the ball to the base to get the out, but was unsure of the exact rule that permitted it so I looked it up for you. Well, anyway, here it is....:cool:

What are OBR and FED???

 

OBR stands for Official Baseball Rules which MLB and some leagues use.

FED is for high school.

NCAA is obviously for college.

 

That's why its always good to know which rulebook one is quoting from. They are not the same in all cases.

  • Author
Gentlemen,

This is from the 2006 NFHS (FED) Rules Case Book verbatim; Rule 8.1.1 Situation A: "With R1 on first base, B2 bunts to F3 who fields the ball on the first bounce near the foul line. B2 stops and reverses toward home to avoid being tagged out by F3, who then throws to F6 for a forceout on R1, and the relay throw fails to retire B2 at first base. RULING: As long as B2 did not touch or run beyond home nor leave the base path to avoid a tag, the action is legal."

 

Except for the try for the force out at second, this covers the situation you described exactly. I knew the runner could stop (to avoid being tagged) in order to make the defense throw the ball to the base to get the out, but was unsure of the exact rule that permitted it so I looked it up for you. Well, anyway, here it is....:cool:

 

Thanks for the clarification. This was exactly the situation last night so the umpires were correct as is the norm.

Gentlemen,

This is from the 2006 NFHS (FED) Rules Case Book verbatim; Rule 8.1.1 Situation A: "With R1 on first base, B2 bunts to F3 who fields the ball on the first bounce near the foul line. B2 stops and reverses toward home to avoid being tagged out by F3, who then throws to F6 for a forceout on R1, and the relay throw fails to retire B2 at first base. RULING: As long as B2 did not touch or run beyond home nor leave the base path to avoid a tag, the action is legal."

 

Except for the try for the force out at second, this covers the situation you described exactly. I knew the runner could stop (to avoid being tagged) in order to make the defense throw the ball to the base to get the out, but was unsure of the exact rule that permitted it so I looked it up for you. Well, anyway, here it is....:cool:

Thank you very much. Thats waht we thought...:thumb:

Gentlemen,

This is from the 2006 NFHS (FED) Rules Case Book verbatim; Rule 8.1.1 Situation A: "With R1 on first base, B2 bunts to F3 who fields the ball on the first bounce near the foul line. B2 stops and reverses toward home to avoid being tagged out by F3, who then throws to F6 for a forceout on R1, and the relay throw fails to retire B2 at first base. RULING: As long as B2 did not touch or run beyond home nor leave the base path to avoid a tag, the action is legal."

 

Except for the try for the force out at second, this covers the situation you described exactly. I knew the runner could stop (to avoid being tagged) in order to make the defense throw the ball to the base to get the out, but was unsure of the exact rule that permitted it so I looked it up for you. Well, anyway, here it is....:cool:

 

Thanks and as per usual the men in Blue are correct......

Thanks a lot for that clarification. I'll pass this on to our coach as well. Maybe it's a rule in the higher levels of play but allowed here. Thanks a lot and once again GO RAIDERS!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.