Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ryle 8 NewCath 7

Featured Replies

Great comeback by Ryle after trailing 6-1 after 4 and 1/2. Huge game by Mark Guttridge with 5 RBI's, a near miss on a grand salami and then a 3-run bomb to tie the game at sixes with two outs in the bottom of the 6th. NC scored the go ahead run in the top of the 7th. Then, NC got generous after playing 6 innings of error-free ball. A throwing error allowed the leadoff man on base. Then, Dusty O'Hara laid down a good bunt right at the first baseman. Dutty stopped half way down the line and then the first baseman lobbed the ball over the second baseman's head to put runners on the corner with no outs. Brent Humphrey then tied the game at 7-7 with a sac fly to deep left center and the runner from second moved to third. The NC pitcher then got an infield popup for the second out. However, the second pitch was wild and Ryle rejoiced with a dramatic and thrilling 8-7 comeback win over a very good NC squad. NC swung the bats well and Ryle's pitchers issued too many walks. Certainly a memorable high school game at a beautiful ball park. Lookin' forward to the Ryle-Beechwood championship game. Congrats to NC on a great season.

Sad way to lose for NCC, giving up no hits and two runs in the bottom of the 7th.

  • Author

Certainly a bizarre finish. NC had it in their grasp if they made the routine plays in the 7th.

Certainly a bizarre finish. NC had it in their grasp if they made the routine plays in the 7th.

True, but congrats to Ryle for taking advantage of it. And whoever it was that layed down the bunt, rather he know what he was doing or not, made a great move to stop halfway to 1st, and run backwards. It was just enough to make the pitcher hesitate, and make a bad throw.

  • Author

It was Ryle's backup catcher, Dustin O'Hara, who made the good choice to just stop running. I would imagine that was Dustin's first sacrifice bunt of the year. Our starting catcher, Micah Forman, broke his finger in the district tourney. Dustin has stepped up and done a great job. We are sad for Micah and yet glad to have such a good backup catcher.

True, but congrats to Ryle for taking advantage of it. And whoever it was that layed down the bunt, rather he know what he was doing or not, made a great move to stop halfway to 1st, and run backwards. It was just enough to make the pitcher hesitate, and make a bad throw.

 

Key word there was RUN BACKWARDS by rule once a player runs backwards he is supposed to b e immediately out when running down the first base line. In my opinion the proper call from the umps really would have helped NCC seeing as they would not have needed to throw the ball to first base. Don't get me wrong the play should hav emost definitely been made, but had the call been made and the runner been called out after stepping backwards down the line this game could have gone extremely differently.

^^ I was discussing that with a couple people I was around, but we came to the conclusion that just as long as he doesn't leave the base path its ok. So is that the rule?

To my understanding you are not allowed to prgress backwards down the first base line. I am looking on the major league site as we speak to get the exact wording.

To my understanding you are not allowed to prgress backwards down the first base line. I am looking on the major league site as we speak to get the exact wording.

Not that it matters now, but I would really like to know.

I agreed I immediately thought that he should have been called out.

I still cannot find the exact ruling of a running going backwards while running to first. I am almost positive that it's an illegal action on behalf of the runner and he is out. Any umpires or people that know where this is located in an official rule book feel free to put in your two cents worth.

I agreed I immediately thought that he should have been called out.

Didi you see it?

  • Author

Did Dustin run backwards or just stop. I was not watching him carefully enough to notice if he just stopped or actually moved backwards. It's fine to stop. If he did move backwards, it was in very slow motion and perhaps not enough to catch the ump's attention IF IF IF indeed you are not allowed to "run" backwards. I actually believe that as long as you stay in the baseline you can run any direction you would like but I do not have the rule down for sure.

Did Dustin run backwards or just stop. I was not watching him carefully enough to notice if he just stopped or actually moved backwards. It's fine to stop. If he did move backwards, it was in very slow motion and perhaps not enough to catch the ump's attention IF IF IF indeed you are not allowed to "run" backwards. I actually believe that as long as you stay in the baseline you can run any direction you would like but I do not have the rule down for sure.

He definitely took a couple steps back.

It looked to us down the first baseline that he stopped and then tok at least a step backwards it wasnt like he got in a pickle between first in home. But he stopped, did a studder step backwards and then stood there. There was definitely a movement in the direction of 1st to home. Very very intriguing play. Still looking for an official ruling though.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.