Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Covington Catholic 6 Boone County 0

Featured Replies

Goals by Nurre, Day, Nick Jacobs, and Litzler (3)

 

Not sure of the correct assists.....will follow up.

 

Beautiful night for soccer.

 

My only comment......with the exception of a frustrated, but talented goalie, questioning the AR and getting a card in the last 2 minutes, this is a different Rebel team. You can see how Coach Norris has taken control and set different expectations for them. Boone actually came out with more energy and control in the first 5 minutes, but CovCath just had too many horses.

 

Good luck to the Rebels going forward.......I will leave the play by play summary to OldGrappler who does it with more elegance than I can....

I am afraid I have to disappoint you tonight, OTB. I was not on hand for the match. I split my entourage in two to cover two sporting events in different locations. My fairer half attended the soccer game (well actually, she is more like the fairer 1/3), and her only comment was that Boone lost. I also gathered that from your post. I was at a freshman football game tonight. My only gripe with Cov Cath is that you don't have lights. If you had lights the varsity soccer game would have started at 8 pm and I could have attended both sporting events.

 

My son also had little to say as he was scarfing down some chicken that I brought home after the football game was over. He played at several different spots tonight so I am sure he rubbed shoulders with several of CC's top players and may have tried a slide tackle or two as the occasion may have called for.

 

Details will have to come from someone else. Thanks for the well wishes going forward and same to CC. You seem to have a very good team this year.

 

If I had been there I would have arranged ahead of time to finally meet you, OTB, but I knew I was not able to attend.

Score aside, this was a step backwards for CCH in this game. Very little intensity or desire, some selfish play continuing and an overall lack of crisp play. If teams are not improving with each game, they tend to backslide and that is happening here. Very sloppy.

Wasn't at the game but would figure CCH went deep into the bench Vs Boone, was this part of the reason for lack of crisp, sloppy play? I would be more concerned with the selfish play and distribution out of the back, unforced turnovers in the defending third. Playing 17-18 regular season games, HS players will not get up for everyone, intensity will not be the same for every game. If you look across the scores of NKY games you see a lot of parity with the exception of CCH.

CCH's NKY opponents improve the next couple of weeks, Ryle and Highlands back to back on 9/19, 9/22 as an example. It will be interesting to see how they play in these two games, I would expect more intensity, more desire, may not equal less slop. With the way St Henry is struggling I think these two games, Ryle and Highlands will tell a lot about what to expect in the Regional Tournament.

Bryce Day was not in the starting lineup for the second straight game and that has an effect on overall play. For the most part it was the regulars playing the entire first half, which ended 3-0 CCH I believe.

 

On a team with a wealth of talent, it seems there are still players who think the rest of the team has come to watch them dribble through 3-4 defenders. Another issue is shooting from an extreme angle instead of the easy pass/assist to an open teammate who has a much better chance of scoring. If these things aren't fixed in the offensive third, they simply can't beat good teams (see Elder and Trinity).

 

The passing, technical ability and possession out of the back last night was horrendous. No offense to Boone, but it was good enough to work last night but against other teams, it simply won't happen.

 

Colonels are without two key players for the Ryle game tomorrow. Combined with what I saw last night, a loss would not be a surprise for me at all.

Bryce Day was not in the starting lineup for the second straight game and that has an effect on overall play. For the most part it was the regulars playing the entire first half, which ended 3-0 CCH I believe.

 

On a team with a wealth of talent, it seems there are still players who think the rest of the team has come to watch them dribble through 3-4 defenders. Another issue is shooting from an extreme angle instead of the easy pass/assist to an open teammate who has a much better chance of scoring. If these things aren't fixed in the offensive third, they simply can't beat good teams (see Elder and Trinity).

 

The passing, technical ability and possession out of the back last night was horrendous. No offense to Boone, but it was good enough to work last night but against other teams, it simply won't happen.

 

Colonels are without two key players for the Ryle game tomorrow. Combined with what I saw last night, a loss would not be a surprise for me at all.

Why is Bryce not starting? He is easily one of the best players on the team. Even against potentially easier teams he should still be started and taken out when the momentum gets going.

 

 

(1) The passing, technical ability and possession out of the back last night was horrendous. No offense to Boone, but it was good enough to work last night but against other teams, it simply won't happen.

 

(2) Colonels are without two key players for the Ryle game tomorrow.

 

(1) Has been and continues to be an area of concern for CCH. Granted CCH has great team defensive stats, but any loss after October 6 and no one will care less nor remember some defensive stat line. And in a tight, high pressure, one and out game these mistakes can end your season.

 

(2) Which 2 key players will miss the Ryle game? Are they injured?

 

The passing, technical ability and possession out of the back last night was horrendous. No offense to Boone, but it was good enough to work last night but against other teams, it simply won't happen.

 

Colonels are without two key players for the Ryle game tomorrow. Combined with what I saw last night, a loss would not be a surprise for me at all.

 

No offense taken. Now step in front of me at the concession stand and it may be a different story. It could get ugly, like this (go to the 6:50 mark of the video)...

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK7v5hHM1Ew

(1) Has been and continues to be an area of concern for CCH. Granted CCH has great team defensive stats, but any loss after October 6 and no one will care less nor remember some defensive stat line. And in a tight, high pressure, one and out game these mistakes can end your season.

 

(2) Which 2 key players will miss the Ryle game? Are they injured?

 

No injuries. School function that is unavoidable. We can discuss who it is after the game.

No injuries. School function that is unavoidable. We can discuss who it is after the game.

 

Glad this is not the reason!!!

All parents of CCH Soccer.... tell your confident seniors that a win in the Regional Final is not guaranteed when you don't bring your A game everyday....Now is the time to play with intensity and unselfishness....and shore up the defense tight.....or you will match the crushing defeat of the very talented 2011 CCH team in the regional Finals AGAIN!!!

No offense taken. Now step in front of me at the concession stand and it may be a different story. It could get ugly, like this (go to the 6:50 mark of the video)...

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK7v5hHM1Ew

:thumb: I know you said you were not at the game, but who played well for Boone? Which guys are improving? What does Boone need to do to improve for next time?

:thumb: I know you said you were not at the game, but who played well for Boone? Which guys are improving? What does Boone need to do to improve for next time?

 

Not ignoring you, hoops5. I've been investigating you and now that I know you are not a scout for an upcoming opponent I will try to answer you. :sssh:

 

What does Boone need to do? Well, Boone is in a transition period (this season). I like the new coach's approach to the game. He is setting them up to play as a team. Still, they are trying out different lineups to figure out the best combination of players on the field at one time.

 

If I was to mention a strength for the team I would say GK. There are several strong individuals smattered throughout the lineup but I am considering Boone's team in separate units--offense, defense, midfield, and keepers. Keepers are a strength. We have two very good keepers, Benjamin and Espinoza. They have done their best to keep the guys within striking distance. I would give a slight nod to Benjamin because he is mostly positive in communicating on field, helps set the defense with profitable instruction, and keeps his head throughout the match.

 

While there are some very good players in each of the other areas of the team I will only say what I think needs to happen for each unit to get better because Boone HAS to play team soccer to be successful. There is no O'Hara, or Borkowski, or Mayberry to rely on this year.

 

On the defensive side, there will always be mismatches that occur throughout the course of the match. The defense has a disparity of experience and skill so it is critical that players do their job, recognize what the opposing offense is setting up, and switch position and who they are defending when called for without hesitation. It has to do with recognition and the mental side of the game. When this is not occurring, the defense gets out of position and you get 1 v 1 with the goalie on a through ball and the like.

 

Mid field needs to pass to feet and maintain space. I would say a little quicker with the passes and not hang on to the ball too long. There also has to be a recognition of where the other players are on the field and where they will be by the time a pass reaches them. Overlapping runs could provide some offense if the player receiving the ball recognizes the passer is making a run. Brock is very solid in mid and gives us a good chance of moving the ball forward and he passes to feet and he also is very adept at getting bouncing or high balls to go the way he wants and on his feet quickly.

 

Offense (primarily forwards): again, working as a team and being in position. We have got to get more numbers forward and in front of the goal. A little better touch to keep the ball in front of their feet and maintain possession would allow trailing players to get in position to receive a pass. We need more shots on goal and that has been increasing over the last few games (vs. Cov Cath may be an exception since I was not there). I like the aggression of Downs towards the goal. I would like to see some others do that as well. Crossing from the outside worked well against GRC and has not been utilized nearly enough this season. Usually this has been due to holding the ball too long to get a better angle. Plus, guys have been slow to be in position for the cross. We need to unleash the feet. Sometimes it seems like we are trying to set up for the perfect shot but that is a rare thing and we just need to shoot. Our guys have been unselfish and that is a good thing, but I think we sometimes make one pass too many when we are within range.

 

Unit play, team play is where it's at for Boone. These are fundamentals and you have to do that well in any sport to be successful. I would love to see them put it together in time for the first round of Districts.

Thanks for the info hoops5.... oops.... I meant to say oldgrappler.

All parents of CCH Soccer.... tell your confident seniors that a win in the Regional Final is not guaranteed when you don't bring your A game everyday....Now is the time to play with intensity and unselfishness....and shore up the defense tight.....or you will match the crushing defeat of the very talented 2011 CCH team in the regional Finals AGAIN!!!

 

I remember that game.....

Cch out possessed/shot an underdog Ncc team for all but about 5 minutes of that match. Ncc scored the go ahead with 4 seconds left.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.