Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coaches

Featured Replies

Coaching positions here in Ky seem to be a revolving door, more so this year then the past. Why are there so many positions for coaches in boys and girls basketball open. I understand Coach Massey's decision to stepdown.

Any comments on the other districts? Was it a administration decision or a coaches decision to leave?

For the time they have to put in and be away from family, complaints from parents, lack of salary are many reasons that coaches leave the game.

Most coaches make less than $2 an hour for the time and work they put in during the year.

  • Author

For the most part yeah I say it could be money. At a small school say like Deming you won't get rich let enough to make enough to make ends meet, we had Coach Larry Allison that was here, he wore many hats here, not only was he girls and boys basketball coach, he was also physical education teacher, driver's ed., jr high basketball coach as well.

I remember the long bus rides.... long hours...staying after school and practicing, not getting home until late, not seeing your kids until late....and for a measley stipend.....you really have to have a true love for the coaching part as well as an understanding family. If you don't have both of these.... there is no way it will work out....

  • Author

Your heart and dedication to the kids and the job has to be there to. If you start to fall in into thinking it's just a job, then you should just go on and get out of it, if you don't believe what your doing coaching is more than that just my opinion.

I believe the position (coach) has evolved to a place in which too many people have a say so/ influence in your program. Coaches used to work for the principal. Now they work for the kids, parents, AAU coaches, etc. Coaches used to have the final say-so. That is often not true today. Used to teachers/ coaches word was always right and kids were punished as a result. Today, the kids word/ version is always right (believed) and the coaches are left powerless. I've not even got into the money or lack of part of it and I think I've said enough as to why quality coaches get out. Of course, this is just my opinion.

  • Author
I believe the position (coach) has evolved to a place in which too many people have a say so/ influence in your program. Coaches used to work for the principal. Now they work for the kids, parents, AAU coaches, etc. Coaches used to have the final say-so. That is often not true today. Used to teachers/ coaches word was always right and kids were punished as a result. Today, the kids word/ version is always right (believed) and the coaches are left powerless. I've not even got into the money or lack of part of it and I think I've said enough as to why quality coaches get out. Of course, this is just my opinion.

 

I would agree with you on that it seems the kids/parents are pretty much or have an impact on how most(if not all) basketball programs are coached. It sometimes seems coaches, atheltic directors, principals are powerless to run a program that they like to see it.

I would agree with you on that it seems the kids/parents are pretty much or have an impact on how most(if not all) basketball programs are coached. It sometimes seems coaches, atheltic directors, principals are powerless to run a program that they like to see it.

 

I would agree and add that so many times, kids who are talanted and their parents think that they can run the program. If they feel that they are not getting their way they threaten transfer. The coach feels the pressure to win from the adminstration, parents and supporters, and he gives some concessions to the kid and parents. If you give an inch they try and take a mile. It is a no win situation for coaches.

 

If the KHSAA would tighten the reigns on tranfers, then some of the problem would be corrected. Right now it is so easy to move around and get eligible and that there is basicly no penalty at all.

Alot of coaches have kids that are playing during the same time they are coaching, and they are missing games to coach and not getting to see thier kids play. That's the case sometimes.

  • Author

Principal Jeremy McCloud told me that a new Coach at Deming will be selected by Mid-June, but decline to say who the applicants were.

Principal Jeremy McCloud told me that a new Coach at Deming will be selected by Mid-June, but decline to say who the applicants were.

 

I have heard it is a done deal. But I am not at liberty to say who.

  • Author
I have heard it is a done deal. But I am not at liberty to say who.

 

I think I know who it is, but like you I'll "tick alock" until the words out.:thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.