Russell 40 Greenup County 6(JV)

GOREDDEVILS

Who are some of the young JV studs Russell has coming up? The future of the program

I wasn't at the game, so I don't know who was playing where, but based on last season's freshman and JV success, Russell has a number of good looking players coming up.

Junior linemen Alex Adams(#69) and Eli Gilliland(#68) have good size and should be in the running for starting positions next year. To be honest, I thought Adams could potentially start somewhere at the varsity level this year, but I don't think he saw any snaps last week. Junior WR/DB Nick Caldwell(#11) saw several snaps against Greenup and is a very good athlete, just a little undersized. Junior WR/DB Drey Boehm(#13) is a transfer from Ironton. I'm not sure if he's playing JV or not, but he looks pretty fast and athletic. I believe he was a RB at Ironton, so he's adjusting to a new position on offense.

The sophomore class is a good one. Last year they thumped Ashland in the Kiwanis Bowl(that makes three blowouts in a row over Ashland for the Russell Freshman team). WR/LB Ryan Stump(#42) has the look of a stud in the making. WR/DB Jaeden Layne(#20) also has loads of potential. There were times last year that Stump and Layne looked like men among boys at the freshman level. QB Austin Church has all the tools to shatter passing records at Russell. He looks about 6'2", 175(ish) with a strong, accurate arm. I don't think Russell's had a QB with an arm like his in quite a while. RB/DB Cole Coburn(#34) is a versatile back with good speed. Despite the depth at RB, Cole should see his share of carries next year. OL/LB Tucker Brown(#59) was the defensive MVP of the Kiwanis Bowl last year. He's a tough, instinctual player that is noticeably bigger and stronger this year. Same goes for OL/DE Aaron Hill(#61). Other players to look out for include OL/DT Austin Braden(#52), RB/LB Grant Bates(#19) and RB/LB Joey Love(#23).

This year's freshman team hasn't played a game yet, so I have no idea what to expect from them. Judging from what I saw on the sidelines last Saturday night, it looks like they have a lot of size in the trenches. There is 28 freshman on the roster this year.