Bluegrasspreps' Class 5A Rankings 8-30-15

Ram

1. Bowling Green at 6A #7 St. Xavier

2. Highlands at 6A #3 Scott County

3. Owensboro vs. 2A #5 Owensboro Catholic

4. Pulaski County -- OPEN

5. Anderson County vs. 4A Mercer County

6. Southwestern vs. 4A Knox Central at Clay County (9/5)

7. North Laurel at 4A West Jessamine

8. Fern Creek at 3A Moore

9. Christian County at 6A Henderson County

10. Covington Catholic at Sycamore (OH)

Bowling Green stays on top, can they get another, yes that's right, another win over St Xavier this year? Highlands played a strong Scott County team this week after Scott County beat Pulaski County last week. We should know more about Highlands and Pulaski County after this week. The Maroons take a break this week, will they be ready to start back on their winning ways in two weeks? Just how good is Fern Creek? How long can Covington Catholic go winless and stay in the top 10?

Bowling Green not really tested so far, but the next two games (St.X and Owensboro) will gives us an idea of how good the Purples may be this year. Win over Christian County I think will look better as the season goes on.

I'm not sure that Highlands deserves to be ranked ahead of Owensboro at this point.

This week will go a long ways into telling us if Highlands is Highlands or just another good team but nothing special. If HHS beats Scott Co. then IMO they may be back in the 5A drivers seat.

Owensboro with two big games coming up with rival Owensboro Cath and Bowling Green the next two weeks will tell us a little more about Owensboro...we'll get to see if their D is as good as it has looked so far over these next couple of games.

Pulaski went toe to toe with Scott Co before falling away in the 4th quarter. Found out that they really had no answer for a dynamic rushing attack but also found out that they could move the ball against one of the better teams in the state. Henry Clay, Southwestern and Bourbon Co the best teams left on the schedule for the Maroons. If they can clean up some things that were exposed by Scott Co they still have a chance to make major noise in 5A, maybe even repeat as champs.

Anderson Co with a big win last week at GRC, game in two weeks against Boyle will be a good measuring stick for where Anderson sits in 5A

Southwestern was my preseason 5A sleeper, then they went to sleep last week losing to a good Bourbon Co team that they should have beat. Looking forward to the game against Knox Central this week to see if the Warriors are what I thought they were or what we saw last week.

North Laurel, I would not be shocked to see them 10-0 at the end of the season; of course Letcher Co Central and Perry Co Central may have something to say about that. Worse thing going for them is they will probably play Pulaski or Southwestern in the second round of the playoffs and the other in the third round if they make it that far.

Fern Creek- I won't pretend to know anything about them :lol2:, Manual Loss is by no means a bad loss. I don't see but maybe one or two possible losses left on their schedule.

Christian County- Just has to get up off the floor after the loss to Bowling Green and keep their young team heading in the right direction. Schedule should give them some challenges but no real opportunity to lose like last week. Should be able to build some confidence going into the playoffs.

Covington Catholic- Looking at their schedule all I can do is say bless their hearts...0-2 against Ryle and Cincy St X isn't anything to be ashamed of, but with games against Lex Cath, Beechwood, Highlands and Scott County it doesn't get any easier. Cov Cath could go 4-6 and still be one of the 5 best teams in 5A this year.