August 24, 201511 yr All global futurees way down tonight. Will be an interesting day in the markets starting tonight (China, Hong Kong, Japan all down hard already).
August 24, 201511 yr I watched my dad lose half his money after he retired. I was fine with it as I was buying at the lower price. Is there a number that you get out of the market? At what % loss is it enough to put it into low risk funds?
August 24, 201511 yr Author I watched my dad lose half his money after he retired. I was fine with it as I was buying at the lower price. Is there a number that you get out of the market? At what % loss is it enough to put it into low risk funds? You have to look at your personal timeline 'horizon'. Basically, as you get closer to retirement your 401K and other investments should move more into fixed income and less in the much more volatile general market. As in 2008 its somewhat too late to 'go defensive'. The markets seem to be similar correction mode as in 2008. When done the best thing will be to 'ride them back up'. Selling now and moving into low risk and lower return instruments would be double worst case - selling low and moving into low risk. This basically 'locks in' the losses. It took about two years for the 2008 correction to get back. Would not doubt if that happens here as well.
August 25, 201511 yr Down 588 points and Chinas market is plunging again right now, so there is a good chance more will be lost tomorrow.
August 25, 201511 yr Ended up being another bad day. I see where the richest man in Asia has lost over $13 billion since the market slip started just over a month ago, and in the last two days he has lost $3.6 billion.
August 26, 201511 yr Author The problem is that China was the 'global growth' engine. The published numbers for their GDP are lower than what was 'priced into the market'. And the additional problem is that no one really believes the published numbers. China talks of being a 'free market' but under pressure the old centralized communist comes out.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.