South Warren Spartans Don't Miss a Beat!

After many questions about how the South Warren Spartans would adjust to the speed, strength, size, etc of teams in 4A, all those questions have been answered following South Warrens dominant 44-12 win over John Hardin (Preseason #1 in 4A). The Spartans have not missed a beat since their State Final 4 run in 3A last year. Returning virtually every starter from last season, the Spartans were ,by far, the more disciplined, more physical, and more athletic team on the field. Their entire arsenal was on full display!

South Warrens defense has been the most dominant defense in the State over the past few years, but it was on this night that I left more impressed with their improvements on the offensive side of the ball. From the opening series, the Spartans showed that their passing game is going to be turned up a notch this year. Their stable of Recievers CJ Hayes, Bryan Cummings, Brycen Lacey, and Austin McElwain showed that they could possibly be one of the States top Recieving Corps... This group, along with QB Ryder Litten who is a threat through the air as well as on the ground, are sure to reek havoc I on opossing defenses the entire year.

The three headed Monster at RB will get the job done! Devante Colton, Kayron Namvong, and Austin McElwain are being utilized in a RB by comitee system. The biggest surprise of this trio is the emergence of Devante Colton. Colton, already a beast on the defensive side of the ball and a member of USA Today's top players in KY, has shown some of the same ability at RB that got his Father a Football Scholarship to the University of Louisville. McElwain and Namvong will carry most of the load but Colton has proven that his ability to run between the Tackles is invaluable.

The "Bash Brothers", AKA "J2" AKA "Double J", are a combined 500 lbs of Terror to opposing Offenses. Senior Jacob Wilde and Freshman Jacob Lacey imposed their will on John Hardin all night. These two have the rare combination of size and speed that make College Coaches salivate! Other defensive leaders include Brandon Sundale, Dimitri Bibb, Cameron Buckner, Franklin Williams, and Zach Haynes.... As good as these young men were defensively last year, it is a scary thought that they are all back and better than ever!

As the season continues, I expect the Spartans to continue to impress. They are undoubtedly the top team in 4A, and their strength of schedule should have them fully prepared for anything they may see in the playoffs. Last years Sleeping Giant is now this years Leader of the Pack.... It's gonna be a great season. Go Spartans!

I'm the biggest BG Purples fan you will meet. Hats off to South Warren. Great job. I had privilege of coaching Devante Colton father, when his dad, Delvin Colton played in the old Purple League. Most Purple faithful still believe the elder Colton is still a top 5 player in Purples history.

Good luck Spartans. This is your year.

I'm the biggest BG Purples fan you will meet. Hats off to South Warren. Great job. I had privilege of coaching Devante Colton father, when his dad, Delvin Colton played in the old Purple League. Most Purple faithful still believe the elder Colton is still a top 5 player in Purples history.

Good luck Spartans. This is your year.

I would agree..

I can say without a doubt south is going to finals in 4a. If they do not win the state this year it would be a fluke. They are just that good.....

Thanks Tsyoung! I was impressed with Monroe County as well... It was tough to match BGs depth and athleticism, but I thought Monroe moved the ball well all night. They just had some costly turnovers. But they should do considerably better in 2A!

If South doesn't win it all this year, something is wrong. They were great 2 years ago and didn't. They were great last year, and didn't. They're great this year, and they should be able to get to BG and win. But they have found a way to stumble when they couldn't afford mistakes.

They weren't "great" two years ago. We had that discussion before. They weren't even the favorite in their own region and they lost to Paducah. Had they won that, Wayne County would have knocked them out as well. Last year a better case can be made, but I still don't know if I'd have made them the state favorite. They are the favorite on this side. I don't know if I'm prepared to call them the clear favorite over Johnson Central, but it is certain that they are the clear favorites on their sides.

I think if you're South Warren, your confidence is super high, but I think they also have to stay level headed and grounded. John Hardin is talented, but they had a rough go of it last year at the start as well, and everyone has been saying for weeks that the Spartans should win the early matchup. I think the next strong barometer should be the Central Hardin game on the 11th. But it is all definitely there for South Warren. Impressive team.