Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Packers’ financial records show NFL distributed $7.2 billion to teams

Featured Replies

Do we have a way to measure that? What do pro football teams bring to a city?

 

$7.2 billion disbursement per team from league-wide contracts alone and we're talking about buying them new playgrounds? I don't see it.

 

$7.2 Billion league wide not per team

$7.2 Billion league wide not per team

 

Yeah. Of course. Typed that wrong. $7.2 billion per team would be... a lot... even by NFL standards.

  • Author
Yeah. Of course. Typed that wrong. $7.2 billion per team would be... a lot... even by NFL standards.

 

Then I would agree no public money for anything ever.

 

And we would be on a witch hunt for lack of medical care.

Then I would agree no public money for anything ever.

 

And we would be on a witch hunt for lack of medical care.

 

"Medical coverage for poor people" vs. "Handouts for billionaires"... I honestly have no trouble deciding where I'd like state money to go.

 

But yeah, we can talk more about whether or not government-funded healthcare achieves its proper aim. What aims are we trying to achieve when we give $500 million to the Vikings' ownership to build their stadium? Honestly there are other companies in the Twin Cities that could probably do a lot more with $500 million and even give the state a return on investment (something they're not likely to see from the Vikings).

  • Author
"Medical coverage for poor people" vs. "Handouts for billionaires"... I honestly have no trouble deciding where I'd like state money to go.

 

But yeah, we can talk more about whether or not government-funded healthcare achieves its proper aim. What aims are we trying to achieve when we give $500 million to the Vikings' ownership to build their stadium? Honestly there are other companies in the Twin Cities that could probably do a lot more with $500 million and even give the state a return on investment (something they're not likely to see from the Vikings).

 

I mean medical coverage for retired players and players that suffer from the physical affects of the NFL that the NFL knew damn well was going to happen.

 

As far as government based health care, I don't see that ever working well.

70K on game day for starters.

 

I do agree it is hard to measure but no one can deny there are benefits to a city and some cities are willing to pay more than others.

 

For 8 games. Whooopie...

 

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704461304576216330349497852

 

 

Over $250M (Very conservative estimate) provided by the great citizens of Ohio for PBS. Pretty hard to come out on the plus side of that in terms of dollars and cents.

 

Not even factoring in the annual tab of $30M+ to run the stadium...

I mean medical coverage for retired players and players that suffer from the physical affects of the NFL that the NFL knew damn well was going to happen.

 

As far as government based health care, I don't see that ever working well.

 

Aha. Yeah, the NFL should definitely be doing more for former players.

 

The union has helped some in that regard in more recent decades but I don't think the union necessarily does the best job of taking care of its people either.

  • Author
For 8 games. Whooopie...

 

That is why I said "for starters" but for some good teams it closer to 12 times a year.

 

Think about it, a city bringing in 70K once a month is a big deal.

  • Author
Aha. Yeah, the NFL should definitely be doing more for former players.

 

The union has helped some in that regard in more recent decades but I don't think the union necessarily does the best job of taking care of its people either.

 

Agree, the Union also needs to make sure these players are protected with a greater retirement system with money players and agents cannot get their hands on in the present.

Agree, the Union also needs to make sure these players are protected with a greater retirement system with money players and agents cannot get their hands on in the present.

 

Perfect. The players unions in the major professional sports have been great about making sure player salaries go up, and up, and up... but have been alarmingly poor with helping players plan for life after football. Part of the problem is undoubtedly the number of those people you mentioned surrounding players that have a significant interest in making sure that those benefits are not deferred.

  • Author
Perfect. The players unions in the major professional sports have been great about making sure player salaries go up, and up, and up... but have been alarmingly poor with helping players plan for life after football. Part of the problem is undoubtedly the number of those people you mentioned surrounding players that have a significant interest in making sure that those benefits are not deferred.

 

We agree 1000000000000% on this one and I am disappointed more benevolent powers haven't changed this practice.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.