Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tryout Time

Featured Replies

So today begins the tryout process for many schools in NKY. Curious to hear the number of girls trying out for each school. How many schools will have enough kids to field frosh, JV and Varsity teams? Has the "club" effect hit any of the high school programs?

It looks as if Ncc will have a varsity, JV, and freshman teams this year. That is a first in a few years that I know of. So it looks as if the numbers are going up. I have not heard of any girls giving up the high school jersey and just playing club from Ncc.

  • Author
It looks as if Ncc will have a varsity, JV, and freshman teams this year. That is a first in a few years that I know of. So it looks as if the numbers are going up. I have not heard of any girls giving up the high school jersey and just playing club from Ncc.

 

So will there frosh team consist of frosh or will they need kids from middle schools to fill out the roster?

The freshman team will have some 8th graders on it to fill it out.

The real question for NCC is will the twins go right to varsity? The one that plays in the field probably the other one plays keeper and they already have the best keeper in nky.

Simon Kenton will have freshman, jv, and varsity teams. 50 or so players trying out for the team.

I was told that HHS has ~70 trying out for about 50 spots.

**No breakdowns on #s per class, or any names of kids returning or not.

I was told that HHS has ~70 trying out for about 50 spots.

**No breakdowns on #s per class, or any names of kids returning or not.

 

I was told closer to 60 and that is with 7th graders since new rule established last year by the new coach. I also know of 2 seniors who did not return.

  • Author
I was told that HHS has ~70 trying out for about 50 spots.

**No breakdowns on #s per class, or any names of kids returning or not.

 

Those are interesting numbers right there. In the old days, there were 60 plus kids trying out from grades 9 thru 12. 8th graders were not permitted to tryout until it was certain that there might be room for them on the frosh team.

 

Now we have 60 kids trying out in grades 7 thru 12 and seniors not returning? What is the issue/reason for the sudden downturn?

Seniors don't return for their final year, in just about any sport, for a lot of reasons.

The most common that I hear is basically summarized as a change in priorities.

"I know I'm not playing in college, so I'd rather ____:"

-focus on the grades

-work and save the money for school

-hang out with my non-(insert sport) playing friends since we are going to different colleges.

 

Maybe the coach makes the decision easy. Kid or parents don't like the coach or the different system/whatever than they've been used to. We can't make assumptions about any of it. Each kid is different. I have to give a few of them credit for making a mature decision based on what is important to them.

 

Heck, there are probably a few kids each year (across all sports/schools) where the deciding factor is a crazy hovering mom/dad.

  • Author

Everyone knows why they are not playing and that is not just the seniors. On the other hand, I hear the boys team has in excess of 60 kids trying out for grades 8 through 12 which is about normal from what I can remember.

Seniors don't return for their final year, in just about any sport, for a lot of reasons.

The most common that I hear is basically summarized as a change in priorities.

"I know I'm not playing in college, so I'd rather ____:"

-focus on the grades

-work and save the money for school

-hang out with my non-(insert sport) playing friends since we are going to different colleges.

 

Maybe the coach makes the decision easy. Kid or parents don't like the coach or the different system/whatever than they've been used to. We can't make assumptions about any of it. Each kid is different. I have to give a few of them credit for making a mature decision based on what is important to them.

 

Heck, there are probably a few kids each year (across all sports/schools) where the deciding factor is a crazy hovering mom/dad.

 

I'd be curious to know how many of those seniors that are not playing, began playing for their respective high school as a 7th or 8th grader.

 

I contend that the thrill of playing high school sports is diluted by the time kids are juniors and seniors, because they've already played 4-5 years.

I'd be curious to know how many of those seniors that are not playing, began playing for their respective high school as a 7th or 8th grader.

 

I contend that the thrill of playing high school sports is diluted by the time kids are juniors and seniors, because they've already played 4-5 years.

 

No way to know without asking them...

I'd be curious to know how many of those seniors that are not playing, began playing for their respective high school as a 7th or 8th grader.

 

I contend that the thrill of playing high school sports is diluted by the time kids are juniors and seniors, because they've already played 4-5 years.

 

If that's true then they didn't love the sport in the first place. Probably weren't putting in the time to get better and got passed up by someone who does love it. True of any sport.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.