Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Somerset

Featured Replies

  • Replies 62
  • Views 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only summize by these negative unwarranted theories that it just comes down to jealousy because your team may have been beaten by Somerset in the past and it's just a little hard to admit maybe it was because Somerset was a better team.

 

You have got to be kidding me. :scared:

You have got to be kidding me. :scared:
My thoughts exactly.....

sometimes the truth hurts...

sometimes the truth hurts...

 

True, and unfortunately, some parents don't want to hear the truth about their kids, and their kids actions.

sometimes the truth hurts...
Again, my thoughts exactly... You must be new to the area and I don't blame you for defending your kids but this sort of thing has happened many times at SHS.. A recent football star still brags about only attending class 9 days of the season yet played every game....
  • Author

Would the players playing in these games help them in life? I don't think so.. Could lots of been learned from missing these games? I would think so. My final thoughts on this....And I say again...Can't walk in the High school graduation BUT can play a game...IMO not a very good message sent to the future students of Somerset or the students involved. In 20 years at their class reunion they will be heard saying "What were they thinking, letting us play".

 

 

:fight:

Lived here my entire life, my children have always gone to this school and no I do know what I'm talking about,too bad you don't(although can't honestly say anything bout the football issue you refer to-don't have a child in that sport-can only speak for basketball, baseball & soccer) My children weren't involved in the much talked event at school. Give it a rest and find something else to dwell on.

First of all, I am not anti Somerset. Actually, I hope they win the region tournament.

 

However, much of this backlash can be traced to a couple different things.

 

First, I think that many people, myself included, feel that these kids received a lesser punishment because of who their parents were. Let's face it, other student athletes in the Somerset school system have been suspended indefinitely during their seniors years, and there were no special board meetings (do the names Sullivan or Langford ring a bell?). Call a spade a spade. Somerset "bent" the rules for certain individuals; that cannot be argued. Is this the way we want our children to raised? Is this the way any of you raise your children? I certainly hope not.

 

Second, I think that many people across the road were really tired of the purple and gold nation going on and on about a certain set of brothers at Pulaski (who shall hopefully remain nameless on this board). All I heard all basketball season was why one or both of these kids should not be able to represent their school and how Pulaski only cared about winning, etc., etc.

In fact, I even watched as an apparently crazy Somerset parent actually walked down and tapped Mark Flynn on the shoulder, during a game, and told him he should remove these players from the game (on a side note, if I were the Pulaski AD, this person would have left the gym in handcuffs; check the Kentucky revised statutes). But now that the shoe is on the other foot, well, you see what happens.

 

And BTW, even though Somerset has beaten Pulaski twice this season in baseball, PC is still a ridiculous 20-4 against them the past 8 years, so that jealousy theory is a wash....

 

But oh well, I think I am done on this subject.

Can't walk in graduation... but can play in a tourney game...ouch! Nothing else is left to be said. That pretty much tells me the whole story.

 

 

:fight:

 

Boom, know nothing about Somerset at all (and really don't care), but if my child was not allowed to walk down the aisle to receive their high school diploma, then I certainly wouldn't allow my child to play a game.

This just doesn't make sense to me at all, as it reads like the family is more concerned about the child playing in the game, then in walking down the aisle with his follow students to receive his diploma. Strange indeed.....

I was only responding to the comment that referred to Somerset always plays their players no matter what(which was very insulting to everyone)....i didn't refer to Pulaski at all but since you did mention it....you may have heard about those boys all year, but you certainly didn't read about it in the newspaper all the time did you-wonder why? nor did you know at any time who their parents were or even extended family? did you?-wasn't in the paper, was it? Wonder why? Isn't it interesting why every chance they have, the newspaper loves to publish anything negative about Somerset High School? why? And the mother you talked about only asked the coach to control "one player", (she at no time insulted or was threatening the coach)who in the previous match up gave a concussion to an SHS player by body slamming this person (and the Pulaski coach at that time did nothing at all as did any other person in the Somerset gym); the mother you think should have been handcuffed out of gym said she would never sit by again and let something like that take place to any child. If the coach wouldn't do anything and the officials chose to look the other way-do we let our children play football without protective equipment while playing basketball?? I am amazed you could compare this or would even mention it; of course that took care of itself, didn't it...that player didn't play anymore games the rest of the year because of getting himself in trouble the next night,(didn't read about that in paper) and what's really sad about that whole situation is that this boy is a talented athlete. All of the negative comments and theories only hurt the kids(players of these sports-remember that when you're on here posting).

Jumpermom, you stated the PC boy got in trouble and didn't play the rest of the year.. Yet the SHS boys got in trouble and they are still playing.. Whats so special about the SHS players???

I would think every school has had these types of issues at some time. I think what has pushed most people's buttons about this is the school board involvment. Somerset's elected officials opened up this can of worms by amending the principals action. I have no doubt school policy allows for these types of appeals to the school board, but the board should have just heard it and supported the principals decision. I also suspect if these had been kids from the "other side of the track" this is what would have happened. The effect is it just reinforces what alot of people believe about Somerset. I also think while the punishment seems harsh to some, anything short of being arrested should have caused a sigh of relief.

 

Just my 2 cents worth ...

Can't walk in graduation... but can play in a tourney game...ouch! Nothing else is left to be said. That pretty much tells me the whole story.

 

 

:fight:

 

Im sure if it was the team you root for it would be a whole different story wouldnt it?... fact of the matter is there playing (with the exception of Andy Cole) who they believe re tore his acl....so it realy doesnt matter there playing.

Again, my thoughts exactly... You must be new to the area and I don't blame you for defending your kids but this sort of thing has happened many times at SHS.. A recent football star still brags about only attending class 9 days of the season yet played every game....

 

I really dought that happened......9 days....theres no way

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.