April 6, 201511 yr With the NFL set to hire its first full-time, non-lockout-replacement female official, Jaguars defensive tackle Sen’Derrick Marks wonders whether the move is more about publicity than it is about ensuring that the best officials are hired to work NFL games. “It’s just like the Michael Sam situation — if he wasn’t gay, he would have gone undrafted,’’ Marks told TMZ, via Vito Stellino of the Florida Times Union. “Instead, the league drafts him because I think they are trying to monopolize every aspect of the world. The same thing with a female ref. For the league, it’s great publicity. The NFL is all about monopolizing every opportunity.’’ Marks has no problem with the hire, assuming that Sarah Thomas deserves the position. “Ain’t nothing wrong with it, especially as long as she knows what she’s doing,” Marks said. Sen?Derrick Marks questions NFL?s motives in hiring female official | ProFootballTalk
April 6, 201511 yr I think he may be correct, if someone could prove it's PR related (and we all do). However, not sure you'll ever be able to prove she didn't deserve a chance. She has a strong resume and appears to be a good official.
April 6, 201511 yr Author I think he may be correct, if someone could prove it's PR related (and we all do). However, not sure you'll ever be able to prove she didn't deserve a chance. She has a strong resume and appears to be a good official. That is the problem the NFL has, no one trusts them and it is a shame in cases like this.
April 6, 201511 yr You're exactly right and Goodell needs to answer for that. It would be easy to come out with a ranking system for officials and show she did/did not earn that job. After all, aren't officials members of a union as well?
April 6, 201511 yr Author You're exactly right and Goodell needs to answer for that. It would be easy to come out with a ranking system for officials and show she did/did not earn that job. After all, aren't officials members of a union as well? Exactly! Real progress would be transparency and honesty from the NFL. If the NFL had credibility and was interested in being righteous they would demonstrate to us in no uncertain terms what a deserving official Sarah Thomas is to join the NFL. Instead, we are left with the impression the NFL is corrupt and this is just the latest move in their agenda to make money.
April 6, 201511 yr I posted the link in the thread about the female official earlier. Everyone but UKMF thinks the questionable circumstance is "valid".
April 6, 201511 yr At some point the owners will grow tired of Goodell and will begin a search for a new commissioner behind the scenes while they prepare for his 'retirement'.
April 6, 201511 yr Author I posted the link in the thread about the female official earlier. Everyone but UKMF thinks the questionable circumstance is "valid". I am a little confused on UKMF?
April 6, 201511 yr I am a little confused on UKMF? I expressed my doubt that the league didn't have an ulterior motive behind her hire. He disagreed. In the original thread about the female official.
April 6, 201511 yr Author I expressed my doubt that the league didn't have an ulterior motive behind her hire. He disagreed. In the original thread about the female official. So we all question the move and UKMF thinks there is no funny business?
April 6, 201511 yr So we all question the move and UKMF thinks there is no funny business? In a nutshell, yes.
April 6, 201511 yr Author In a nutshell, yes. He might be right but with the NFL's track record I ain't buying.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.