Great story on Campbell County's Austin Myers

Sorry for posting bad info and diverting attention in this thread from Mr. Myer's accomplishments.

For those that have followed wrestling much more closely than I have I would be curious to hear where this kid ranks all-time in NKY? Best?

I think theres only been 4 statewide ever.

I know last year Brock Ervin was the first ever 5 time Champion.

John Fahy was a 4 time champ from Trinity.

RJS help me out Im almost sure theres one more.

The list that Clyde just posted looks pretty complete. I really don't go that far back in KY wrestling history since I'm not from around here and have only been involved the last 4 years or so. I expect the number of 4x champs to go up in the next few years, as several young kids are on track. Bryce Scheffer (sophomore 2x champ) and Saul Ervin (who just won as a freshman) from Union County are on pace, and Zane Brown (8th grader for Male) was a runner up this year and will be a favorite to win as a Freshman next year. I'll be travelling to Danville, IL this weekend as I'm helping coach MS Team KY at Nationals, and I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of those (Zane Brown is on that team) end up as a 4x (or 5x). Lots of young hammers out there, and with the rise of several facilities devoted to training wrestlers, like Carr Wrestling Academy in Lexington, ETC in South Oldham and Spatola Wrestling in NKY, the sport is on the rise.

Getting back to Myers, all of the guys that have been mentioned have lost some matches instate I think. Not only was Myers undefeated in state, I'm not sure that anyone scored a legitimate point (his opponents only scored because Myers let them escape) on him in a couple years.

For those that have followed wrestling much more closely than I have I would be curious to hear where this kid ranks all-time in NKY? Best?

I would like to hear that also. I do know that Campbell County does not wrestle against many Ky teams during the season, they basically wrestle tournaments in Ohio. So, that adds to his record of being unbeaten in four years.

I'd say no worse than top 2 or 3. The one knock on Myers is that his weight class is traditionally not very strong or deep and he thus hasn't wrestled the same level of competition as the guys in the middle and lower weights. But still, I'm not sure he's even had a close match, and he's been pretty dominant (although he does a few losses) on a national level as well. And that's not just in Folkstyle (the style wrestled in high school) but also in the Olympic styles (Freestyle and Greco) as well.

He is Campbell County's 1st 4X state champion and I think the first to ever go undefeated in his high school career for CC for sure.

Here is what I like about Austin, none if this goes to his head. He is a great kid who will sit down and hold a conversation with you (I don't know much about the techniques of wrestling but if I ever have a question he will always sit down and explain it to me). The other thing I like about him is this, he really CARES about his education! I won't go into great detail but being a participant in the Border Brawl each wrestler received 2 tickets to the NCAA wrestling he decided not to go so he could come back to school. He gets it, he understands what being a student-athlete is and I couldn't be more proud of Austin and seeing him grow into the person he is today. I am very sad I won't be able to watch him wrestle again for CC.

I'd say no worse than top 2 or 3. The one knock on Myers is that his weight class is traditionally not very strong or deep and he thus hasn't wrestled the same level of competition as the guys in the middle and lower weights. But still, I'm not sure he's even had a close match, and he's been pretty dominant (although he does a few losses) on a national level as well. And that's not just in Folkstyle (the style wrestled in high school) but also in the Olympic styles (Freestyle and Greco) as well.

I wouldn't say its a knock at all He beat a returning state sr Champ as a freshman and was the only freshman in a group of all srs who placed in his class his freshman yr .

He is a 2 x NHSCA grade level national Champion and KYS first and only ever OW winner in that event and a runner up last yr.

He went undefeated 3 yrs in a row at National Duals with Team Ky beating nationally ranked wrestlers two Indiana State champs and a 2 x runner and double All American From Indiana .

He has been ranked nationally since the 5ifth Grade and Is a Tulsa Youth and AAU jr High National Champion .

As for his Losses in Freestyle and Greco he was the only wrestler in the Country to Place in Both Greco And Freestyle Wrestling last yr at Fargo Nationals HE also won both Freestyle and Greco Championships at Central Regionals last yr in Indiana that's Central Region of The United States of America not Kentucky and that includes Powerhouse wrestling states Illinois Ohio and Michigan as well as Indiana Wisconsin Kentucky ,HE also won Outstanding wrestler Awards in the Jr Division in Both Styles at Central regionals ,A first for any Ky Wrestler easily .

He Also finished the year as USA wrestlings national Olympian rankings Champion based off of his scores at Central Regionals and Fargo not off of a panel of judges but his own efforts .

No one scored a takedown on him his sr yr and he only gave up one his jr year in the regular season and he was injured that day .HE has NEVER given up a single Back point or been held down his Entire High School Career in or out of season .

And he is not only Kentuckys first ever in season undefeated Wrestler ever ,He is the Nations first ever in season totally undefeated four time champ at 220.Kentuckys first ever Double and Greco All American and Kentuckys highest Nationally ranked Sr ever .

To say hes at least top 2 or 3 in Northern Kentucky when he has accomplished more both in season and far more out of season than any other Kentucky wrestler in history is a bit of a slap in the face to him ,The list of KY 4 timers starts with kids far far below 220 because those weights 103 ,106 ,113 ,120 are dominated by underclassmen even jr high kids as there is not even a 120 class in college it starts at 126 so in reality its a much harder task to win state as a Freshman at 220 than any weight below 132,And beating a returning sr state Champ 4-0 as a Freshman is something no one in any state has ever seen .

Two more National tournaments in the next two weeks after winning his match against the Missouri Border Brawl 220 state champ 18-2 last week in St Louis and losing in OT to the Pennsylvania State Heavyweight at The Dapper Dan two days before I think he has far exceeded anyone who ever came before him .

NHSCA nationals this weekend ,Flo Nationals the following week two more weigh ins in four days ,Then Freestyle Greco season starts and he hopes to become Ky First Ever Double Double JR All American and perhaps a National Champ ,

I wouldn't say its a knock at all He beat a returning state sr Champ as a freshman and was the only freshman in a group of all srs who placed in his class his freshman yr .

He is a 2 x NHSCA grade level national Champion and KYS first and only ever OW winner in that event and a runner up last yr.

He went undefeated 3 yrs in a row at National Duals with Team Ky beating nationally ranked wrestlers two Indiana State champs and a 2 x runner and double All American From Indiana .

He has been ranked nationally since the 5ifth Grade and Is a Tulsa Youth and AAU jr High National Champion .

As for his Losses in Freestyle and Greco he was the only wrestler in the Country to Place in Both Greco And Freestyle Wrestling last yr at Fargo Nationals HE also won both Freestyle and Greco Championships at Central Regionals last yr in Indiana that's Central Region of The United States of America not Kentucky and that includes Powerhouse wrestling states Illinois Ohio and Michigan as well as Indiana Wisconsin Kentucky ,HE also won Outstanding wrestler Awards in the Jr Division in Both Styles at Central regionals ,A first for any Ky Wrestler easily .

He Also finished the year as USA wrestlings national Olympian rankings Champion based off of his scores at Central Regionals and Fargo not off of a panel of judges but his own efforts .

No one scored a takedown on him his sr yr and he only gave up one his jr year in the regular season and he was injured that day .HE has NEVER given up a single Back point or been held down his Entire High School Career in or out of season .

And he is not only Kentuckys first ever in season undefeated Wrestler ever ,He is the Nations first ever in season totally undefeated four time champ at 220.Kentuckys first ever Double and Greco All American and Kentuckys highest Nationally ranked Sr ever .

To say hes at least top 2 or 3 in Northern Kentucky when he has accomplished more both in season and far more out of season than any other Kentucky wrestler in history is a bit of a slap in the face to him ,The list of KY 4 timers starts with kids far far below 220 because those weights 103 ,106 ,113 ,120 are dominated by underclassmen even jr high kids as there is not even a 120 class in college it starts at 126 so in reality its a much harder task to win state as a Freshman at 220 than any weight below 132,And beating a returning sr state Champ 4-0 as a Freshman is something no one in any state has ever seen .

Two more National tournaments in the next two weeks after winning his match against the Missouri Border Brawl 220 state champ 18-2 last week in St Louis and losing in OT to the Pennsylvania State Heavyweight at The Dapper Dan two days before I think he has far exceeded anyone who ever came before him .

NHSCA nationals this weekend ,Flo Nationals the following week two more weigh ins in four days ,Then Freestyle Greco season starts and he hopes to become Ky First Ever Double Double JR All American and perhaps a National Champ ,

I wasn't talking just NKY. I was talking the whole state. And maybe I should clarify, the one "knock" on him, I don't necessarily agree with. My knowledge of KY wrestling doesn't go back very far, and I'm not qualified to rate where he stands over say the last 20 years. But, if you read my post closely, you'd see I pretty much think he is number 1 because of what he has accomplished nationally and because of how dominant he was. And the fact that Kentucky has really only recently become really competitive, really solidifies my though. I've seen him wrestle quite a few times in state, and got to watch him at Central Regionals, where he smoked everybody. In my mind, I'd say he is probably the best. But my mind doesn't always count for much.

In four years of wrestling in the regular season wrestlinh in Ky no one EVER scored on him or even reversed him from bottom the only points he ever gave up on the mat were kick outs , his soph year he tripped at state duals with is not an official meet and his opponent jumped on him and then was quickly pinned by Austin that is the only two he ever gave up to a KY opponent .I'm positive no one in KY has ever been nearly as Dominant in or out of state .Nathan Boston was Majored 9_0 at Dapper Dan last yr and Jo Carr was pinned when he went Austin lost in OT to the Pennsylvania Heavyweight Champ .No other Ky athlete has ever been invited .He's on his way to NHSCA nationals where he should become KYs first ever 4 X AA in that event and hopefully a 4 X Finalist and possible 3x Champ .A great accomplishment for him and his school Campbell county will have had 3 SR AAs at Sr Nat if he places Him Shaun Fausz last yr and Stephen Myers the yr before that .That's more than the rest of the state combined I believe but I'm not sure .wrestling starts Fri and goes through sun for Srs.Austin plans on competing at Flo Nationals next week as well and he will only have a few days between .He has and is representing and doing absolutely everything and every event he can .I may be bias but regardless he is not only the best ever but leaves the rest a distant second even his brother a 2x NHSCA AA and 3 X Fargo AA and Double AA in Fargo .He's fearless and will be a D1 AA in College .

AUSTIN BECOMES A four X national finalist with a win over nationally ranked hvy and 2 X state champ Ian Butterbrodt who was also a runner up at super 32 at Hvy this year with a nice 7-3 win in the semis in Virginia Beach at SR Nationals .3 pins in his first 3 matches all in under 40 seconds.CC has had a Sr A A at the last 3 Nationals .Austin , Shaun Fausz, Stephen Myers .