How Would You Re-Write The Catch Rule?

Clyde

In my opinion, stretching out & reaching the ball towards the goal line (or the 1st down marker) is a football move. You could tell that the WR clearly had control of the ball as he was going down to the ground & made an effort to get into the end zone.

To me, that's a catch.

But it's no different to me, if a receiver is falling out of bounds and the ball pops out when they hit the ground

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But it's no different to me, if a receiver is falling out of bounds and the ball pops out when they hit the ground

Exactly. What they're arguing doesn't work IMO. A WR makes a catch as he's falling out of bounds, gets both feet down, as he's falling he extends the ball trying to reach it past the 1st down marker. As he's doing this, a defender runs over and shoves him, he hits the ground and the ball pops out. Ruled incomplete every time and no one complains at all. This is absolutely no different.

The ground caused the fumble to me. He had the ball, switched it over the defender and fell forward. In fact, his other elbow hit the ground first, and he still had control of the ball. He should have been down at the one. Any other explanation or rule that says otherwise is ridiculous IMO.

The ground caused the fumble to me. He had the ball, switched it over the defender and fell forward. In fact, his other elbow hit the ground first, and he still had control of the ball. He should have been down at the one. Any other explanation or rule that says otherwise is ridiculous IMO.

Best defense of a catch put forward so far. I'll have to watch it again, I never paid attention to his elbow.

The only thing I MAY do is take the "football move" part of it out.

You have to maintain control through contact with the ground. Period.

Seems too vague.

What if I take 5 steps and then go to the ground and lose control?

What if I catch it , fake a lateral, get tackled and lose control?

My question is that would anyone on here or anywhere else have complained if they upheld the catch ruling? I don't think so.

I don't see how anyone could watch that play and not think that Dez caught that pass. I just can't. He clearly had the ball in his hands, and moves it to one hand to stretch it out. I just don't see otherwise.

He caught that pass.

Was he ruled down by contact? If so, it's a fumble, and shouldn't have been ruled incomplete. If not, it's an incomplete pass.

Not true on this type of play. NFL distinguishes between this type of play and the traditional "ground can't cause a fumble" rule.

My question is that would anyone on here or anywhere else have complained if they upheld the catch ruling? I don't think so.

I don't see how anyone could watch that play and not think that Dez caught that pass. I just can't. He clearly had the ball in his hands, and moves it to one hand to stretch it out. I just don't see otherwise.

He caught that pass.

I would have had an issue with it. He didn't control it to the ground.

He caught that pass.

As soon as I saw it happen, I told my wife it was incomplete. The ball bounced off the ground. He didn't complete the catch. Same thing as a play on the sideline. Guy goes up, catches it, gets 2 feet down in-bounds, falls to the ground out of bounds, ball pops up. Incomplete every single time, and there's no complaints.

Watch his elbow. If I could upload a video of it I would. His right arm hits before his left arm.

I did. It hits at almost the exact same time as the ball. The rule for a catch is you have to maintain possession all the way to the ground. He didn't do that. Simple as that. I do think that's a much better argument than the football move one, as he clearly didn't make a move.

Watched the video again. Its is his right forearm. His elbow and the ball hit simultaneously. Unless I'm mistaken the forearm counts just like the elbow or knee. He was down with the ball. Ball was still in control when he hit, the ball popping out should have been a non-factor. Ground causing a fumble.

Someone that's more video savvy, please pull it up. Maybe others don't see it that way.