Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jessica Gregg play on ESPN

Featured Replies

Gregg a 2012 graduate of Walton Verona and member of 2011 8th region champs makes top ten play on sportscenter for EKU.

Too bad she didn't make the coaches 8th region team her senior year. Must have been a helluva team.

Too bad she didn't make the coaches 8th region team her senior year. Must have been a helluva team.

 

How come I feel like you made this post just to get me to say how dumb some coaches and AD's are in NKY!!

 

I commented on the other thread about the catch. Just awesome!!

One of the best defensive players I have seen.

Too bad she didn't make the coaches 8th region team her senior year. Must have been a helluva team.
There really isn't a stat to measure the defensive contributions a player makes to her team. Fair or not, that is the reality.
There really isn't a stat to measure the defensive contributions a player makes to her team. Fair or not, that is the reality.

 

Fair point but don't all the coaches in the 8th see her play? As an outfielder its probably a little harder bc not a lot of balls are going out that way.

 

Honest question do coaches that vote for kids in the region just look at stats?

Fair point but don't all the coaches in the 8th see her play? As an outfielder its probably a little harder bc not a lot of balls are going out that way.

 

Honest question do coaches that vote for kids in the region just look at stats?

All of the coaches do not get to see all players in the 8th, very big geographic region and that is why the coaches rely so heavily on stats. Jessica also played with one of the better high school players to ever play in this area and a pitcher that was pretty dominant that year making her a little less noticeable to a team that might not see them on a regular basis.

I'd rather have a player who hits .250 -.300 and plays "stellar" defense, than a .400 - .430 hitter who is error prone. Defense rarely gets taken into consideration, IMO.

Fair point but don't all the coaches in the 8th see her play? As an outfielder its probably a little harder bc not a lot of balls are going out that way.

 

Honest question do coaches that vote for kids in the region just look at stats?

 

Could be like our region your HS coach picks who is on the all region team from your team.

All of the coaches do not get to see all players in the 8th, very big geographic region and that is why the coaches rely so heavily on stats. Jessica also played with one of the better high school players to ever play in this area and a pitcher that was pretty dominant that year making her a little less noticeable to a team that might not see them on a regular basis.

 

Was there any other D1 players on the All region team that year?

 

Kinda funny how one has played D1 softball at two schools and the other didn't play at all. Yet the other girl is considered so much better.

I'd rather have a player who hits .250 -.300 and plays "stellar" defense, than a .400 - .430 hitter who is error prone. Defense rarely gets taken into consideration, IMO.

 

Depends on what kind of team you have. If you have a great pitcher I would be more likely to take the .250 hitter that plays great D bc you can win games with out scoring a lot of runs.

 

If your pitching isn't great I take the .430 bc you need to score more runs.

 

I know you love defensive stats but IMO the worst stat in all of sports in defensive fielding percentage, it doesn't tell the half of it.

 

Here's a thing to remember also, most errors don't affect the game. Just sucks some REALLY do!

I'd rather have a player who hits .250 -.300 and plays "stellar" defense, than a .400 - .430 hitter who is error prone. Defense rarely gets taken into consideration, IMO.
Now that makes for a good debate, .430 hitters are pretty rare.
Was there any other D1 players on the All region team that year?

 

Kinda funny how one has played D1 softball at two schools and the other didn't play at all. Yet the other girl is considered so much better.

That is an interesting observation and goes to show that you can't vote for players based on their college offers either. I think you said you never saw them play, but I'm going to guess that you won't find anyone that saw them play that will say Gregg was a better high school player.
That is an interesting observation and goes to show that you can't vote for players based on their college offers either. I think you said you never saw them play, but I'm going to guess that you won't find anyone that saw them play that will say Gregg was a better high school player.

 

I agree you can't vote on players bc their college offers but I do find it hard that probably the only girl in the region that got an offer from a D1 school couldn't make an all region team.

 

Your right I only saw Ginn once as an 8th grader (and she had a great game) and not sure if I ever saw Gregg. But I know they both went to camps and tried to earn scholarships and for what ever reason Gregg got one (maybe two) and Ginn didn't.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.