Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Scott freshman league wraps up for the summer

Featured Replies

The last Thursday on the Scott Freshman league wrapped up last night. Beechwood won both games beating Cov Cath and St. Henry. SK won both games beating Scott and Cov Cath. I also seen NCC get tied by Scott after Scott was down by double digits late. The youngsters for Scott, LJ and Nelson (both going into 8th grade) led the come back with tough defense. Thought the Scott tie of NCC was impressive since Ohmer was in Florida and not on the court.

The last Thursday on the Scott Freshman league wrapped up last night. Beechwood won both games beating Cov Cath and St. Henry. SK won both games beating Scott and Cov Cath. I also seen NCC get tied by Scott after Scott was down by double digits late. The youngsters for Scott, LJ and Nelson (both going into 8th grade) led the come back with tough defense. Thought the Scott tie of NCC was impressive since Ohmer was in Florida and not on the court.

Might have been different if Scott had subbed in the last 6-7 minutes like all other teams have done all 3 weeks. But a tie is a tie.

Lets be real everyone knows Fromeyer does not like loosing to NewCath, whether it matters or not. He is a baseball coach there. I know it is the same way when he place Scott in baseball. Jake Ohmer for Scott means nothing, he won't play freshman basketball next year. One thing I saw impressed me yesterday was Trent Kincaid of Simon Kenton; he is fast, plays lockdown defense, and is a great ball handler. JC Hawkins showed everybody he can shoot from anywhere if he is open. I saw him hit one from probably 5 feet behind the 3 pt. line. SK will be really good next year. It is a shame they will have to cut a couple of kids. The kids they will cut probably would make the team anywhere else.

Might have been different if Scott had subbed in the last 6-7 minutes like all other teams have done all 3 weeks. But a tie is a tie.

 

I believe Scott did sub all five guys out with three minutes to go in the Newcath game. In fact, in every game they played this summer, all kids were subbed in and out every five minutes with the only exception being the one I just described.

 

Should be a good season for freshman basketball this winter. Looks like quite a few teams will have nice groups of kids to work with. Simon Kenton will have loads of talent and depth to play with from what I saw yesterday.

Might have been different if Scott had subbed in the last 6-7 minutes like all other teams have done all 3 weeks. But a tie is a tie.

 

Oh, I believe one of your parents filmed the game. Maybe you can view it and get back to me on my account of how things transpired at the end of the game.

I got a chance to see Beechwood/St.Henry and St.Henry/NCC.

Beechwood had 10 players, played an uptempo game had 3 good bigs. Played a semi trapping zone defense and easily beat St.Henry by 30.

NCC beat St.Henry by 20ish. The Freppon? boy looks tough. Nice out side jumpshot and strong to the basket. They also had 10 players and look to have a nice group.

Lets be real everyone knows Fromeyer does not like loosing to NewCath, whether it matters or not. He is a baseball coach there. I know it is the same way when he place Scott in baseball. Jake Ohmer for Scott means nothing, he won't play freshman basketball next year. One thing I saw impressed me yesterday was Trent Kincaid of Simon Kenton; he is fast, plays lockdown defense, and is a great ball handler. JC Hawkins showed everybody he can shoot from anywhere if he is open. I saw him hit one from probably 5 feet behind the 3 pt. line. SK will be really good next year. It is a shame they will have to cut a couple of kids. The kids they will cut probably would make the team anywhere else.

Fromeyer would want to beat his grandma in chess. He is extremely competitive and knows how to motivate and coach kids. However, we are talking summer ball. Does Fro still want to win? Without a doubt but I would find it really hard to believe that he wouldn't sub in a summer league game. Makes no sense in the fact that the more kids he plays in summer ball the easier his job as freshman coach will be. Fro would never pass up a teaching moment for one the kids. I agree with you on Trent Kincaid. I love this kids game, plays with heart and hustles his tail off and as quick as gazelle.

Why doesn't Fromeyer move up then? Why waste such talent on Freshman?

Why doesn't Fromeyer move up then? Why waste such talent on Freshman?

Freshman basketball is sometimes looked down upon as only "being freshman". But I can tell you that freshman coaches are grossly overlooked. They are crucial to the development of the kids and the program. They practice on their own while JV is always practicing with varsity under the guidance of the varsity coach. If your asking could Fro coach up at JV? My answer is without doubt 100% yes. Fro understands that his job is to develope these kids and prepare them for JV and Varsity and if he wasn't doing that then he wouldn't be on coach Carrs coaching staff. Just cause he's a "Freshman" coach doesn't mean he's incapable of coaching older kids, he's just a valuable commodity where he's at and he's content with that.

Why doesn't Fromeyer move up then? Why waste such talent on Freshman?

 

 

History I can tell you that a lot of Freshmen Coaches enjoy the teaching (the game) aspect of the coaching Freshmen and indeed are a cornerstone of the "Team Coaching" system at many high schools.

 

Just at CovCath alone Matt Stevens and Steve Sorrell are a huge part of making the CovCath Freshmen understand what playing "CovCath Basketball" is all about. Both of these men put in a ton of hours, effort and sweat and love seeing their effort grow in the additional three years of the boy's who started with them, become the men of CovCath.

 

Each and everyone of the Freshmen Coaches that I have come in contact with during the Jack Kaelin Freshmen Tourney, understands the importance that they bring to their programs and there is not one great high school varsity coach coaching today that is successful without have an outstanding Freshmen Coach.

Why doesn't Fromeyer move up then? Why waste such talent on Freshman?

 

There are many freshman coaches in the NKY area who have remained at the freshman level for many years, i.e. Jim Goetz (St. Henry - 20-ish years), Steve Sorrell (Cov Cath - 20+ years as Head Coach), Ralph Meyer (NCC & Lloyd - 12-15 years) Steve Fromeyer (Scott & Dayton 13-16 years), Matt Stevens (Cov Cath, Highlands & Beechwood - 8-10 years), Jeff Schraffenberger has been at SK for 7-8 years and was in Ohio before that and Zach Ashley has been at Boone for about 6 years. These are just several who I can think of off the top of my head. I think I4C and TOG hit the nail on the head - freshman coaches are important to every program. Maybe some schools have issues, but look at the schools I just named and the one thing that stands out is each one of their varsity programs have success every year. The schools that can't keep good freshman coaches have a tougher time excelling. Varsity coaches who have to teach their system to sophomore's are way behind the curve and often struggle to win games. Have these coaches had opportunities to move up levels or switch schools? Absolutely. Why do they "waste their talent on freshman?" Probably because they're all loyal people who believe in the program they coach for and want it to succeed. You've also got to realize many of these guys aren't teachers and schedule wise is makes sense to coach freshman. Not everyone can be at 3:00 practices or travel for Christmas tournaments, etc.

 

Lastly, I think the freshman coaches in this area are some of the most competitive people, to a man. I can tell you this, no one cares if they lose a summer game, but are they going to show their kids it's okay to not care? Doubtful. I've known Ralph, Jim, Steve, Zach, Jeff, Matt, and Coach Sorrell a long time and none of them have ever been down with losing, but they're still going to coach their tails off, no matter what time of year it is. All are quality coaches who have built incredible foundations at some of the perennial top 10 programs in the NKY area for many years.

Steve teaches more than just basketball, I can assure you of that. A couple of years ago he taught his team how to properly tie a tie! Great role models for the kids!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.