Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Hoop Dreams 15U - national ranking

Featured Replies

After winning the Nike Memorial Day Classic this past weekend, HD 15's are now ranked #6 in the nation by Five Star Basketball (out of New York). Top 10 as follows:

1) DC Assault Gold

2) IN Elite

3) Team Scan (NY)

4) Team Penny (Memphis)

5) Chauncey Billups Elite (Denver)

6) Hoop Dreams

7) Boo Williams (VA)

8) Atlanta Celtics

9) Wisconsin Academy

10) CP3 All Stars (NC) - and they moved up a few spots to 10 based on their performance in the Memorial Day Classic)

 

Was hoping to see Derby State 14U break the top 15 after their strong performance there but they didn't make it. They still represented very, very well. Heck of a team.

Heck of an accomplishment and well deserved, Hoop Dreams has improved all year and grabbed that key championship to end the spring, hopefully their ranking will rise as the year goes on in July. It is about time, long over due that one of these shoe companies come in and give Mike Scott and Hoop Dreams some sort of deal.

 

Derby State, those rankings are pretty accurate there. I would have loved to crack the top 15, but we have 4 runner up finshes, one final 8 and one final 4 along with state championship in our 7 tournaments, have to finish the tournaments better. However, Indy Hoosiers, they aren't ranked in the top 10, they are the #1 team in my opinion 14u, they have all the pieces, the only team that has been bigger and physically more dominant all year. DC Assault beat us 1 and we didn't have our PG, Jamil Wilson at that time which was a big missing piece against them. Indy Hoosiers are a lot better than DC Assault taking nothing from DC Assault cause they are a top 2-5 team as well but in my opinion, Indy Hoosiers are #1, and there is a gap to #2 right now, but we will all find out once nationals arrive.

Also I would like to know how some ranking services over look certain teams. Indihoops.com their rankings are here.

 

Rankings | Indivisible Hoops

 

Just updated today, they don't have hoop dreams listed in the top 38 but have moved Southern Kings from unranked to #24 which Hoop Dreams destroyed in Atlanta and also I know Texas Pro was in the 15u division in Atlanta and Hoop Dreams still won the tournament, they are #15. Louisville Magic are mentioned in the others at #35

  • Author
Heck of an accomplishment and well deserved, Hoop Dreams has improved all year and grabbed that key championship to end the spring, hopefully their ranking will rise as the year goes on in July. It is about time, long over due that one of these shoe companies come in and give Mike Scott and Hoop Dreams some sort of deal.

 

Derby State, those rankings are pretty accurate there. I would have loved to crack the top 15, but we have 4 runner up finshes, one final 8 and one final 4 along with state championship in our 7 tournaments, have to finish the tournaments better. However, Indy Hoosiers, they aren't ranked in the top 10, they are the #1 team in my opinion 14u, they have all the pieces, the only team that has been bigger and physically more dominant all year. DC Assault beat us 1 and we didn't have our PG, Jamil Wilson at that time which was a big missing piece against them. Indy Hoosiers are a lot better than DC Assault taking nothing from DC Assault cause they are a top 2-5 team as well but in my opinion, Indy Hoosiers are #1, and there is a gap to #2 right now, but we will all find out once nationals arrive.

 

4x second place, a final four and elite eight? Not saying should be #1 but, if playing in good tournaments, why not top 15? The Atlanta field was very strong and Derby should've won that (though they finished 2nd). I think a case can be made for top 15 recognition.

Excellent! Any word if Carson Williams and Malik Dow are getting any D1 attention?

 

Also, does this mean Team Manimal could be ranked nationally? :sssh:

  • Author

This is not a ranking service that I've heard of. I looked at the site and it seems to encourage feedback from readers to make the case for their teams??? I've always tended to look at the 5 Star ratings (and no I'm not just saying that now because they rated HD highly ?). I have also looked at AAU club power rankings, though those aren't as inclusive beginning with the high school year (useful for 14U and below) - and only updated once/year I believe. HD 15's ended last year/started this year #13 in their rankings.

 

That said, it surely doesn't mean HD is THE #6 team, but it's certainly good to be recognized as such by one of the prominent ranking services.

 

Also, 3 of the Indivisible Hoops' rated teams - Atlanta Celtics, TX Pro and Southern Kings - played in the 15U MDC last weekend. And the GA Stars are listed in the "others," and they were in it as well. HD actually beat both GA Stars and Southern Kings while there.

  • Author

Yes, both Carson and Malik are getting some interest from D1 schools - and that was before this weekend. If the team can contnue to improve, I would think that's only going to help them (and other HD players) get more looks down the road.

 

As for Manimal, I was very impressed by them. Extremely well coached and good group of kids. Unfortunately, winning a tournament in Lexington probably doesn't get them much attention nationally. The possibility of them being ranked would be dependent upon how they perform at some of the bigger tournaments. And I'm unfamiliar with where they've gone and how they've done. But again, I think they too will keep getting better.

 

I'm sure there are some folks on here who could speak to this.

Good stuff...thanks for posting.

I agree, fivestarhoops is by far the most recognizable service going, I have been following their rankings for this being the 3rd season but their rankings have been around much longer than that. DunkDog also has good rankings, but they have released any recently and their archives aren't available but back in April they had Hoop Dreams 15u ranked I want to say 18th, they had Derby State 24th in the 14u.

 

AAU only ranks teams that play AAU i believe I might be wrong, Hoop Dreams isn't doing AAU this year nationals correct? We have the #74 overall seed at nationals, I would guess by the time some teams dont go we will have a 3 seed in our pool, hopefully Derby State can duplicate the run that Hoop Dreams had at 14u nationals last year.

 

Manimal has played at the Knoxvegas tournament, I believe they made the final 4 there. They played in Louisville at a pretty big tournament and beat Mac Irvin Fire, they got 2nd in the silver bracket there last weekend of April. I think they also won a smaller tournament in Lexington and then 2nd in the AAU state. They had their own tournament at St. Catherines and played up I believe and got 2nd in it. I might be missing a tournament but I don't believe that I am for them this spring. I dont know their exact july schedule originally was going to go to nationals but have heard they are going out west instead, I believe they are also going to the Blue Chip Camp as a team 23-27 of June.

Thanks for the info. Hope to see Dow and Williams continue improving. Sounds like they are on their way and Hoope Dreams has been a great choice for them!

I agree, fivestarhoops is by far the most recognizable service going, I have been following their rankings for this being the 3rd season but their rankings have been around much longer than that. DunkDog also has good rankings, but they have released any recently and their archives aren't available but back in April they had Hoop Dreams 15u ranked I want to say 18th, they had Derby State 24th in the 14u.

 

AAU only ranks teams that play AAU i believe I might be wrong, Hoop Dreams isn't doing AAU this year nationals correct? We have the #74 overall seed at nationals, I would guess by the time some teams dont go we will have a 3 seed in our pool, hopefully Derby State can duplicate the run that Hoop Dreams had at 14u nationals last year.

 

Manimal has played at the Knoxvegas tournament, I believe they made the final 4 there. They played in Louisville at a pretty big tournament and beat Mac Irvin Fire, they got 2nd in the silver bracket there last weekend of April. I think they also won a smaller tournament in Lexington and then 2nd in the AAU state. They had their own tournament at St. Catherines and played up I believe and got 2nd in it. I might be missing a tournament but I don't believe that I am for them this spring. I dont know their exact july schedule originally was going to go to nationals but have heard they are going out west instead, I believe they are also going to the Blue Chip Camp as a team 23-27 of June.

 

It's hard to not like the direction of Hoop Dreams, Team Manimal and Derby State are heading in. Hopefully they all can continue to build strength and sustain their greatness. Do these programs aspire to be fully sponsored shoe company AAU programs?

  • Author
I agree, fivestarhoops is by far the most recognizable service going, I have been following their rankings for this being the 3rd season but their rankings have been around much longer than that. DunkDog also has good rankings, but they have released any recently and their archives aren't available but back in April they had Hoop Dreams 15u ranked I want to say 18th, they had Derby State 24th in the 14u.

 

AAU only ranks teams that play AAU i believe I might be wrong, Hoop Dreams isn't doing AAU this year nationals correct? We have the #74 overall seed at nationals, I would guess by the time some teams dont go we will have a 3 seed in our pool, hopefully Derby State can duplicate the run that Hoop Dreams had at 14u nationals last year.

 

Manimal has played at the Knoxvegas tournament, I believe they made the final 4 there. They played in Louisville at a pretty big tournament and beat Mac Irvin Fire, they got 2nd in the silver bracket there last weekend of April. I think they also won a smaller tournament in Lexington and then 2nd in the AAU state. They had their own tournament at St. Catherines and played up I believe and got 2nd in it. I might be missing a tournament but I don't believe that I am for them this spring. I dont know their exact july schedule originally was going to go to nationals but have heard they are going out west instead, I believe they are also going to the Blue Chip Camp as a team 23-27 of June.

 

You are correct about the AAU rankings. As kids move into high school, AAU nationals don't seem to be such a big draw - or AAU sanctioned events in general. That's why I think their rankings aren't as relevant for 15U and up.

 

And you are also correct in that we likely wont be going to nationals this year.

 

Good luck down there. I'm sure Derby State 14's will represent well.

  • Author

I certainly can't speak for Manimal or Derby State - or for Mike Scott (HD) for that matter. But I think Mike would welcome that so long as he maintains full control of the program. I believe thats very important to him.

  • Author

^^^^^sorry, that was in response to PP's comment/question.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.