Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Umps

Featured Replies

Some fans yes but most fans know what is going on and can tell the difference between a good and bad ump.

 

I see a lot of games a year and yes some parents get on umps when its uncalled for, but most the times its bc there bad. There are going to be bang bang plays they miss and to me that's not a big deal, the bases are 60 feet that is going to happen.

 

I would question that most fans know what is going on and can tell a good ump from a bad ump....most fans have limited objectivity when it comes to watching any game, hence the word "fan", from "fanatic". Typically it's parents that lean toward their child's team, frequently it's a grandparent or other family member. I don't disagree that there are some bad ones out there. Most people I talk to say there is no way that they would put the gear on and take it from everyone behind the screen. You either want to accept what comes or you don't. Having said that, maybe the reason you are seeing umpires with less quality is because the potentially good umpires just don't want to have to deal with it. Just for the record, parents and fans heckling the umps ARE NOT part of the game, what goes on between the lines is part of the game and the game is for the kids....fans need to put the kids first and their emotions second, maybe then we can begin to see an influx of "new blood". I understand you don't want someone to call a game because you believe they aren't of the quality necessary, it happens. I might suggest you start a thread next time that doesn't begin with "Umps" and begins with "A Ninth Region Umpire That Should Never See Post-Season". The title sets the tone. :deadhorse:

  • Author
I would question that most fans know what is going on and can tell a good ump from a bad ump....most fans have limited objectivity when it comes to watching any game, hence the word "fan", from "fanatic". Typically it's parents that lean toward their child's team, frequently it's a grandparent or other family member. I don't disagree that there are some bad ones out there. Most people I talk to say there is no way that they would put the gear on and take it from everyone behind the screen. You either want to accept what comes or you don't. Having said that, maybe the reason you are seeing umpires with less quality is because the potentially good umpires just don't want to have to deal with it. Just for the record, parents and fans heckling the umps ARE NOT part of the game, what goes on between the lines is part of the game and the game is for the kids....fans need to put the kids first and their emotions second, maybe then we can begin to see an influx of "new blood". I understand you don't want someone to call a game because you believe they aren't of the quality necessary, it happens. I might suggest you start a thread next time that doesn't begin with "Umps" and begins with "A Ninth Region Umpire That Should Never See Post-Season". The title sets the tone. :deadhorse:

 

To say the least I don't agree with any of your post but the part maybe I should have titled it different.

 

I have been to over 20 games this year and really besides me giving it to the ump in the HC/NDA game there has been little said to an umpire from what I have heard. And guess what we have had a couple bad ones but not bad enough where it really affected the GIRLS. And in that game I was getting just as ticked when he called bad calls against NDA, do you know why I was bc ITS FOR THE GIRLS. So IMO you are dead wrong, people can't blame parents for everything and if it's not about the girls then who is it about. I am not sure where you think you decide how others should treat and umpire, they have been taking stuff from coaches, players and fans since the beginning of time so yes its part of the game. Yes being an umpire might not be easy but neither is a being teacher or a cop or someone fighting for our country but people due it, and umps are probably paid better than those 3 jobs.

 

I invited one of the bad umps we had this year out to the parking lot to drink a beer after he was finished, he did and we had a good time, nice guy trys hard just not great behind the plate but besides some small moans and groans he didn't have to but up with much. Yes you have the crazy parents, fans coachs et all but it very few and far between.

 

Just to point this out we have had almost 20 games this year. I have thought out of that number we have only had 4 games where the umps should have done a better job for one side or the other, Both HC/NDA games the HC/NCC game and the HC/Ryle game. Two of those game where down by the same ump. 3 out of those 4 game Lawnboy was in attendence so that could be the problem also.

Some fans yes but most fans know what is going on and can tell the difference between a good and bad ump. The reason I started this thread is bc I do not want the clown that did the HC/NDA game working in the post season. Not for one second did I think he was any worse for us than he was for NDA, he sucked for both teams. To make things worse is the guy thinks hes good, he is stealing from kids by doing games.

 

I see a lot of games a year and yes some parents get on umps when its uncalled for, but most the times its bc there bad. There are going to be bang bang plays they miss and to me that's not a big deal, the bases are 60 feet that is going to happen.

 

It's determined by the coaches, they get to "rank" their top 5 umpires then the top ranking officials are assigned to districts and region. I haven't seen anyone put any names out on this thread (which was original purpose), so I'd be curious to see who the "top 4" would be (4 umps for regional championship)

Yes being an umpire might not be easy but neither is a being teacher or a cop or someone fighting for our country but people due it, and umps are probably paid better than those 3 jobs.

 

Trust me....it's not that lucrative. MOST people do it because they enjoy it, but yes the money is a nice bonus. By the time you pay for state licensing, gear, travel expenses, and you're required to do 10-15 hours of training.....it's not nearly as much as you might think. Comparing it to a cop or teacher is ludicrous as I didn't know anyone who made a living umping or was working for the betterment of society like a cop or teacher. Reality is.....it's a HS sports game, no kid remembers the umpires from a single game when they look back, they remember hanging out with friends and hopefully the value of hard work. It's the parents that tend to forget what it's really all about and think they have to "defend their kids" from these bad officials.

 

Reality is....it's a hobby for most and most will tell you they like being around the kids.

  • Author
Trust me....it's not that lucrative. MOST people do it because they enjoy it, but yes the money is a nice bonus. By the time you pay for state licensing, gear, travel expenses, and you're required to do 10-15 hours of training.....it's not nearly as much as you might think. Comparing it to a cop or teacher is ludicrous as I didn't know anyone who made a living umping or was working for the betterment of society like a cop or teacher. Reality is.....it's a HS sports game, no kid remembers the umpires from a single game when they look back, they remember hanging out with friends and hopefully the value of hard work. It's the parents that tend to forget what it's really all about and think they have to "defend their kids" from these bad officials.

 

Reality is....it's a hobby for most and most will tell you they like being around the kids.

 

I was just saying per hour, I undersand its almost impossible to make a living off being an umpire. Don't forget most teachers and cops pay upwards of 50 to a 100 grand to do those jobs also. A little more than what an umpire has to put up.

 

The ones that do it bc they enjoy I would guess would be the best ones.

I am afraid the old fogeys are our best bet. I do not think the younger generation will be willing to replace the dinosaurs when they retire. If you check all sports, I think you will find that over half of the officials are pushing 50 or over and there are few younger people getting into it. The younger generation is not conditioned to take the conflicts, demanding schedules and criticisms; not to mention the travel, gas prices, equipment/uniforms, licensing fees and the piddly pay.

 

When you take into consideration the organizational meetings/training clinics, travel, and round-trip time invested per game, the pay is piddly. Officials have to work several nights/weekends per week to make it financially rewarding, in addition to their day jobs and family responsibilities. That is why you see the same officials over and over again because the numbers are at an all time low.

 

And for the rules, no one knows ALL the rules. It takes years of experience and mistake making to fully understand the rules. Some are quite confusing, especially in the heat of the moment when something unusual happens on the field/court and coaches and fans are screaming bloody murder. The old fogeys have the confidence to get through these moments; they are conditioned for it through years of experience; newby's not so much.

 

These are the reasons that I think the younger generation is going to take a pass on officiating; why put yourself through that. So maybe you ought to show a little appreciation to the old fogeys that have been there year in and year out who might be one bad night away from retiring. and, give some encouragement to the new ones who might not be up to speed just yet (you are going to need them someday).

I am not sure where you think you decide how others should treat and umpire, they have been taking stuff from coaches, players and fans since the beginning of time so yes its part of the game.

 

I invited one of the bad umps we had this year out to the parking lot to drink a beer after he was finished, he did and we had a good time, nice guy trys hard just not great behind the plate but besides some small moans and groans he didn't have to but up with much. Yes you have the crazy parents, fans coachs et all but it very few and far between.

 

3 out of those 4 game Lawnboy was in attendence so that could be the problem also.

 

Just to put an end to this: You were drinking in the parking lot after a game, and invited the umpire out to have one, and he did ?! I'm going with Lawnboy was the issue at these games....:isurrender:

To say the least I don't agree with any of your post but the part maybe I should have titled it different.

 

I have been to over 20 games this year and really besides me giving it to the ump in the HC/NDA game there has been little said to an umpire from what I have heard. And guess what we have had a couple bad ones but not bad enough where it really affected the GIRLS. And in that game I was getting just as ticked when he called bad calls against NDA, do you know why I was bc ITS FOR THE GIRLS. So IMO you are dead wrong, people can't blame parents for everything and if it's not about the girls then who is it about. I am not sure where you think you decide how others should treat and umpire, they have been taking stuff from coaches, players and fans since the beginning of time so yes its part of the game. Yes being an umpire might not be easy but neither is a being teacher or a cop or someone fighting for our country but people due it, and umps are probably paid better than those 3 jobs.

 

I invited one of the bad umps we had this year out to the parking lot to drink a beer after he was finished, he did and we had a good time, nice guy trys hard just not great behind the plate but besides some small moans and groans he didn't have to but up with much. Yes you have the crazy parents, fans coachs et all but it very few and far between.

 

Just to point this out we have had almost 20 games this year. I have thought out of that number we have only had 4 games where the umps should have done a better job for one side or the other, Both HC/NDA games the HC/NCC game and the HC/Ryle game. Two of those game where down by the same ump. 3 out of those 4 game Lawnboy was in attendence so that could be the problem also.

 

I can't field and hit for your girls!!! :rolleyes:

 

Just to put an end to this: You were drinking in the parking lot after a game, and invited the umpire out to have one, and he did ?! I'm going with Lawnboy was the issue at these games....:isurrender:

 

And I was just about to complement your husband on his excellent job ump-ing. :lol2:

And I was just about to complement your husband on his excellent job ump-ing. :lol2:

 

I would not go that far. He has done about what seems like 10 of BBHS games this year and I think we lost all of them. Maybe he is the reason we are 12-7 with the same team basically as last years 25 win team.:isurrender: We need someone to blame, it might as well be him we did it in basketball.:lol2:

And I was just about to complement your husband on his excellent job ump-ing. :lol2:

 

I would not go that far. He has done about what seems like 10 of BBHS games this year and I think we lost all of them. Maybe he is the reason we are 12-7 with the same team basically as last years 25 win team.:isurrender: We need someone to blame, it might as well be him we did it in basketball.:lol2:

 

Looks like we just found our new "scapegoat". :jump:

 

 

Can we get a Mod to fix the quotes please.

And I was just about to complement your husband on his excellent job ump-ing. :lol2:

 

I would not go that far. He has done about what seems like 10 of BBHS games this year and I think we lost all of them. Maybe he is the reason we are 12-7 with the same team basically as last years 25 win team.:isurrender: We need someone to blame, it might as well be him we did it in basketball.:lol2:

 

 

That is classic! Seriously, I have tears! :hilarious:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.