Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Umps

Featured Replies

I would love to see the best of the best be assigned to do the 9th region tourney this year..I believe it could be the most exciting one in years.

 

Seeing someone called HC to complain that I called out a horrible ump by name on here maybe we should only stick to naming the good ones that we would like to see work the event. (Btw did someone think HC was going to give me detention or something)

 

I generally just hate all of them besides my homegirl Pam so lets here about the ones that should be working the tourney.

here in the 6th region we havent seen very many all year long that would deserve any postseason work. So if you have any that are worthy consider yourself lucky. It seems that the umps here either dont want to be here or dont care to be here, just ready to get the game over with.

 

Was at a game this year and seen a ball bounced off the plate and framed for a called 3rd strike. the ump was ducking behind the catcher then looking where she caught it to make a call. Ridiculous only way to describe it.. worst I have ever seen at any level

I would love to see the best of the best be assigned to do the 9th region tourney this year..I believe it could be the most exciting one in years.

 

Seeing someone called HC to complain that I called out a horrible ump by name on here maybe we should only stick to naming the good ones that we would like to see work the event. (Btw did someone think HC was going to give me detention or something)

 

I generally just hate all of them besides my homegirl Pam so lets here about the ones that should be working the tourney.

We have excellent umpires in the 8th Region, we don't have to deal with that stuff.........:sarcastic:
I would love to see the best of the best be assigned to do the 9th region tourney this year..I believe it could be the most exciting one in years.

 

Seeing someone called HC to complain that I called out a horrible ump by name on here maybe we should only stick to naming the good ones that we would like to see work the event. (Btw did someone think HC was going to give me detention or something)

 

I generally just hate all of them besides my homegirl Pam so lets here about the ones that should be working the tourney.

 

Seth Wiggins is very good! I also think Butch Hayes does a great job. In my opinion, we haven't really had any that I have had any issues with. Do I think we've had some make the wrong call...yes. But they are human and make mistakes and so do I!!! Now if you ask my fans, they may tell you differently!!! But I'm okay with a couple missed judgement calls. We teach the girls to focus on what they can control. In any sport, officials are going to miss calls and kids can't let that effect them. It's part of the game. It stinks when it's at a crucial time in the game, but you have to learn to overcome it. Not easy.

Seth Wiggins is very good! .

 

Young guy? 26 or so? Played football with my son. Good kid.

  • Author
Seth Wiggins is very good! I also think Butch Hayes does a great job. In my opinion, we haven't really had any that I have had any issues with. Do I think we've had some make the wrong call...yes. But they are human and make mistakes and so do I!!! Now if you ask my fans, they may tell you differently!!! But I'm okay with a couple missed judgement calls. We teach the girls to focus on what they can control. In any sport, officials are going to miss calls and kids can't let that effect them. It's part of the game. It stinks when it's at a crucial time in the game, but you have to learn to overcome it. Not easy.

 

Well lets have him do every game.

 

For the most part ours have been decent this year. I really don't know any names of good ones to recommend. It would probably be easier to but the bad ones on here that shouldn't be doing them but to many feelings get hurt..

 

Umps are going to miss calls happens every level but there is a huge difference between the good ones and the bad.

here in the 6th region we havent seen very many all year long that would deserve any postseason work. So if you have any that are worthy consider yourself lucky. It seems that the umps here either dont want to be here or dont care to be here, just ready to get the game over with.

 

Was at a game this year and seen a ball bounced off the plate and framed for a called 3rd strike. the ump was ducking behind the catcher then looking where she caught it to make a call. Ridiculous only way to describe it.. worst I have ever seen at any level

 

Yeah, here in the Louisville area, it's pretty slim. Same bunch of yahoos every game. Probably have 4 total I would call good and none I would call great. Literally had one old codger Wednesday, that couldn't keep up with the DP/Flex changes and finally just threw his hands up and told both coaches, "I don't want to hear any more about it".

 

Add rule-ignorant parents yelling in from the stands, and it was a comedy show!!

Yeah, here in the Louisville area, it's pretty slim. Same bunch of yahoos every game. Probably have 4 total I would call good and none I would call great. Literally had one old codger Wednesday, that couldn't keep up with the DP/Flex changes and finally just threw his hands up and told both coaches, "I don't want to hear any more about it".

 

Add rule-ignorant parents yelling in from the stands, and it was a comedy show!!

To be fair to the old codger, Bloomer is the master at manipulating the DP/Flex and other rules. I am sure he has told you the switcharoo he pulled in the KHSAA State Tourney a few years ago in the Championship game against Owensboro Catholic, by re-entering same player multiple times........it's pretty funny. Totally had the umpire baffled and got away with it, more than once in the same game, the STATE FINALS!!!:lol:

Which proves the point. If the ump doesn't have enough grasp on the rules of the game to keep up with changes, then they should not be able to ump the game, much less games of THAT level.

 

My lament for fastpitch in this state doesn't fall on the girls nearly as much as it does A.) the lack of quality coaches and B.) terrible umpires.

 

How are players supposed to improve their eye and sense of the strike zone with what gets called in some of these games coupled with a lack of consistency. For the last 5 years, I've watched about all of our home games from the press box, about 12-15 feet behind and 15-20 feet above Home plate, and some of these yaps are ridiculous with how wide they call the zone.

 

One thing I'd suggest is if you know you're going to be umping a game with, not just Josh, but ANY coach that is "known" to utilize the DP/Flex rule, why not brush up on it beforehand, rather than coming in unprepared to do your job as arbiter of the game? Better yet, LEARN THE RULE!!

And that is just one rule (which is not as confusing as people make it out to be). How many times have you been at a game when a KY HS ump blows a call or makes some bone headed judgment that has nothing to do with the actual game play rule, and then puts on the "I'm the boss here" attitude? Pi**es me off!!

 

I think the level of play by the girls and the level of coaching is quickly outpacing some of these old fogeys. Time to Cowboy Up, Blue or stick to the middle school/rec league games, and make room for some new blood that will take their craft serious.

 

(we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming)

  • Author
Which proves the point. If the ump doesn't have enough grasp on the rules of the game to keep up with changes, then they should not be able to ump the game, much less games of THAT level.

 

My lament for fastpitch in this state doesn't fall on the girls nearly as much as it does A.) the lack of quality coaches and B.) terrible umpires.

 

How are players supposed to improve their eye and sense of the strike zone with what gets called in some of these games coupled with a lack of consistency. For the last 5 years, I've watched about all of our home games from the press box, about 12-15 feet behind and 15-20 feet above Home plate, and some of these yaps are ridiculous with how wide they call the zone.

 

One thing I'd suggest is if you know you're going to be umping a game with, not just Josh, but ANY coach that is "known" to utilize the DP/Flex rule, why not brush up on it beforehand, rather than coming in unprepared to do your job as arbiter of the game? Better yet, LEARN THE RULE!!

And that is just one rule (which is not as confusing as people make it out to be). How many times have you been at a game when a KY HS ump blows a call or makes some bone headed judgment that has nothing to do with the actual game play rule, and then puts on the "I'm the boss here" attitude? Pi**es me off!!

 

I think the level of play by the girls and the level of coaching is quickly outpacing some of these old fogeys. Time to Cowboy Up, Blue or stick to the middle school/rec league games, and make room for some new blood that will take their craft serious.

 

(we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming)

 

When you play for the DOOM its a requirement to hate umps!

Tim has that in the Player/Parent Contract.

Seth Wiggins is very good! I also think Butch Hayes does a great job. In my opinion, we haven't really had any that I have had any issues with. Do I think we've had some make the wrong call...yes. But they are human and make mistakes and so do I!!! Now if you ask my fans, they may tell you differently!!! But I'm okay with a couple missed judgement calls. We teach the girls to focus on what they can control. In any sport, officials are going to miss calls and kids can't let that effect them. It's part of the game. It stinks when it's at a crucial time in the game, but you have to learn to overcome it. Not easy.

 

Excellent point....I tell our girls, every pitch you DON'T swing at you should be following it to the catchers mitt with your eyes so you have an idea of what the umpire is calling balls and strikes. However, with some it falls on deaf ears. :banghead:

Young guy? 26 or so? Played football with my son. Good kid.

 

yes that's him......I talked to him the other day and he said he went to CCH. Told him he's getting a good reputation around the 9th.

I umpired baseball until a couple years ago and the best way to describe it is it's like playing a round of golf. You can go out one day and play the best round of your life then turn around a day or two later and things just aren't working for you.

 

The thing that fans need to realize is they are going to see what they want to see and the way that benefits their team. Every time you do a game, you're constantly adjusting to the teams you're working with. The reality is, when you have two bad teams, your strike zone is extremely different than the way you call it with two top caliber teams and sometimes it's difficult to adjust when you do 3-4 games a week.

 

The biggest thing too is people sitting at a 90 degree angle from the plate arguing its a strike because they can't see it's a ball or two off the plate or it crossed "above the letters" then dropped as it hits the catcher.

 

I will tell you that the guys who were good, tended to not be rules honks, but just had a good ability to see balls and strikes and close plays. There were some guys who umped with us forever and knew that rule book inside and out, but just didn't have the vision to make good judgement calls. It takes a balance of poise, confidence, and a TON of patience.

 

As for the 9th, I have no idea who the better umps are, but i'm sure you'll see the same old guys at it.

  • Author
I umpired baseball until a couple years ago and the best way to describe it is it's like playing a round of golf. You can go out one day and play the best round of your life then turn around a day or two later and things just aren't working for you.

 

The thing that fans need to realize is they are going to see what they want to see and the way that benefits their team. Every time you do a game, you're constantly adjusting to the teams you're working with. The reality is, when you have two bad teams, your strike zone is extremely different than the way you call it with two top caliber teams and sometimes it's difficult to adjust when you do 3-4 games a week.

 

The biggest thing too is people sitting at a 90 degree angle from the plate arguing its a strike because they can't see it's a ball or two off the plate or it crossed "above the letters" then dropped as it hits the catcher.

 

I will tell you that the guys who were good, tended to not be rules honks, but just had a good ability to see balls and strikes and close plays. There were some guys who umped with us forever and knew that rule book inside and out, but just didn't have the vision to make good judgement calls. It takes a balance of poise, confidence, and a TON of patience.

 

As for the 9th, I have no idea who the better umps are, but i'm sure you'll see the same old guys at it.

 

Some fans yes but most fans know what is going on and can tell the difference between a good and bad ump. The reason I started this thread is bc I do not want the clown that did the HC/NDA game working in the post season. Not for one second did I think he was any worse for us than he was for NDA, he sucked for both teams. To make things worse is the guy thinks hes good, he is stealing from kids by doing games.

 

I see a lot of games a year and yes some parents get on umps when its uncalled for, but most the times its bc there bad. There are going to be bang bang plays they miss and to me that's not a big deal, the bases are 60 feet that is going to happen.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.