December 27, 201213 yr I love the changes. I grew up with Father Wm. Pank as my parish priest. These changes bring the Mass more in line with what I grew up. I never felt the "modern" Mass was sufficiently "reverent", for lack of a better word. There is something so moving, so simply beautiful about the full Latin Mass. I am very glad that to see some of it returning to the Ordinary Mass. Well said, the way many parishes have done their masses in Louisville(mostly in the eastern part of town) has been a true shame in my mind. As an MD friend of mine once told his father when asked to attend Our Lady of Lourdes with him for mass "Dad if I wanted to go to a Baptist Church, I would."
December 27, 201213 yr I feel the same. At first the change was a little difficult to get the hang of but now I am really liking them. When I sat down and researched why the US Conf of Catholic Bishops made the changes and the meaning of the changes in wording, I really like them even if they don't roll off the tonque quite as easily as the words I grew up saying. If you want to go the Latin Mass, come down to St. Martin's at noon (I think) on Sundays. While I prefer the venacular, every once in a while I like to experience the old Latin mass. 12:30 last time I was there.
December 27, 201213 yr I didn't feel like the changes were all that "major". How do you feel they ruin things? He can't sleepwalk through mass anymore... :walk:
December 27, 201213 yr Yep, noon. I get down to that mass about once per month. I like it a lot. Still I typically go to the ordinary form at St. James most Sundays since it's my neighborhood parish. Is their music still atrocious? I attended a mass there years ago and saw the choir standing up front with a piano singing out of Gather books. Nothing takes me out of a mass like bad music and frankly there are only a handful of parishes in town that I have been around anymore that do things well.
December 27, 201213 yr Author Is their music still atrocious? I attended a mass there years ago and saw the choir standing up front with a piano singing out of Gather books. Nothing takes me out of a mass like bad music and frankly there are only a handful of parishes in town that I have been around anymore that do things well. Hit and miss. The pianist also goes up into the loft and plays the organ on occasion which, as you said above, only serves to make things more frustrating. Why not just stay up their and use the organ through the whole Mass?
December 27, 201213 yr Well said, the way many parishes have done their masses in Louisville(mostly in the eastern part of town) has been a true shame in my mind. As an MD friend of mine once told his father when asked to attend Our Lady of Lourdes with him for mass "Dad if I wanted to go to a Baptist Church, I would." Are you referring to the look of East End parishes (how they have remodeled) or how the mass plays out itself? In regards to the look of Catholic Churches, one guy walked into our Cathedral and commented, "What a beautiful Episcopalian church". Basically he was being snippy about how the most recent remodeling of the cathedral stripped it of all Catholic character and someone could confuse it as not even being a catholic church. As important as music is to you, I am surprised you do not go to St. Martin's. The music is about as classic as it comes. The music at the midnight mass Christmas Morning was amazing.
December 27, 201213 yr Author As important as music is to you, I am surprised you do not go to St. Martin's. The music is about as classic as it comes. The music at the midnight mass Christmas Morning was amazing. I get to St. Boniface from time to time and they also have a really nice choir and a BEAUTIFUL organ.
December 27, 201213 yr I get to St. Boniface from time to time and they also have a really nice choir and a BEAUTIFUL organ. The organist/director there was a colleague of my father's I have seriously considered joining up with him now that dad has finally decided to retire.
December 27, 201213 yr Are you referring to the look of East End parishes (how they have remodeled) or how the mass plays out itself? In regards to the look of Catholic Churches, one guy walked into our Cathedral and commented, "What a beautiful Episcopalian church". Basically he was being snippy about how the most recent remodeling of the cathedral stripped it of all Catholic character and someone could confuse it as not even being a catholic church. As important as music is to you, I am surprised you do not go to St. Martin's. The music is about as classic as it comes. The music at the midnight mass Christmas Morning was amazing. To the East End, both really, I was none too keen on the remodeling of the Cathedral myself. I love St. Martin's, but sadly my wife will not go there with me. The saints up by the altars freak her out.
December 27, 201213 yr They lost me last year when they made those changes! I will still go for some religious holidays and of course weddings and funerals, but not much more than that. I even took two friends who are not Catholic to church earlier this year and they were so confused as well, I told them about the changes and how it's now meant to have people "search for the meaning and their beliefs", they said it would only make them stay away as it made then feel stupid. They now attend one of those multi denominational churches, the ones that are growing like crazy, which the Catholic church is not. I enjoy Latin Masses for Christmas and Easter, as well as Masses in German for Christmas, but for regular Masses I want the ones I grew up with. "And also with you." sorry, meant... "And with your spirit." After years and years we are creatures of habit and mostly memorization. The new changes improved nothing and by looking around I would say most do not like them, especially the older generation (over 40) and those of us who had to memorize the Creed as alter boys. They can keep putting print outs and cards in the pews but the new words are awkward and disrupt the rhythm we all learned in the 60s and 70s. I never knew anything was broke until they fixed it.
December 28, 201213 yr I never knew anything was broke until they fixed it. I never knew it was broke either but the only language I speak is English. A friend of mine who speaks English, French, Spanish, German and Hungarian. (He has lived in Louisville, Nice, France, Santiago, Chile, several parts of Germany and his parents spoke Hungarian growing up) He mentioned to me that he always wondered why the mass dialogue in the US (and possibly other English speaking nations I guess?) was different than anywhere else in the world. Now the US is speaking the same words since the translation was corrected. A Spanish speaking priest mentioned the new translation for him was not that difficult to learn since he had been saying it in Spanish for decades.
December 29, 201213 yr I never knew it was broke either but the only language I speak is English. A friend of mine who speaks English, French, Spanish, German and Hungarian. (He has lived in Louisville, Nice, France, Santiago, Chile, several parts of Germany and his parents spoke Hungarian growing up) He mentioned to me that he always wondered why the mass dialogue in the US (and possibly other English speaking nations I guess?) was different than anywhere else in the world. Now the US is speaking the same words since the translation was corrected. A Spanish speaking priest mentioned the new translation for him was not that difficult to learn since he had been saying it in Spanish for decades. I guess the old words had a flow that new ones do not have. "seen and unseen" is much more elegant that "visible and invisible". "And also with you." has symmetry with refrain vs. "and with your spirit." No one seems comfortable with the 'new' words, even after a year. Also in the Lexington diocese singing everything and chanting the readings and gospel are now standard. Along with lots of incense. And all the masses are that way. I really hate the chanting of the readings and gospel. I like them read not sung or half sung. I miss the low frills 'get in, get out' mass that could be done in 40 minutes. Growing up the earliest mass on Sunday was this way. Good for those who are not into the majesty every week. In the Lexington area that 'meat and potatoes' mass does not exist so everything is at least an hour and 15 minutes.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.