February 8, 200620 yr Your above reason of why we are different, are the best reasons in writing, I have ever seen of why my child goes to a Catholic High School......Thank you..... BTW my child doesn't even play sports, but does compete in the Governors Cup. Do you think that one day the Pulbic Schools will want a split in that too? That would be the decision of whatever the governing body of the Governors Cup would vote into place. As the KHSAA has done. :thumb: It's called democracy and voting of the majority. You might have read about it sometime in a history class. I can be a smart alec too.
February 8, 200620 yr The 1-year ban on varsity play for non-feeder transfers does nothing. Most freshmen are not playing varsity ball their freshmen year. It is a hollow offer. And any ban should go both ways with waivers for actual changes of residence or a hardship waiver of financial distress. Financial distress? Now I wonder who that helps? I can see it now --NO problem to ever go private to public , you just claim you can't afford it. I say do away with all open enrollment in public schools. If all students who go to public schools out of the district they live in had to pay tuition like privates -then some of these restrictions would make more sense.
February 8, 200620 yr Financial distress? Now I wonder who that helps? I can see it now --NO problem to ever go private to public , you just claim you can't afford it. I say do away with all open enrollment in public schools. If all students who go to public schools out of the district they live in had to pay tuition like privates -then some of these restrictions would make more sense. To me, a family has their children in a private school and one of the parent loses their job or passes on. The income is no longer there to continue paying for private school and they start attending a public school. With the ban from a feeder program and no waiver for financial distress, the kids are ineligible for 2 years. So to answer your question, the public school would have benefitted. I would agree with your ban on open enrollment.
February 8, 200620 yr Author We live in a Republic not a democracy.Simlpy put the rights of one can not be trespassed over the wants of the majority.That is what I learned in my history class.
February 8, 200620 yr We live in a Republic not a democracy.Simlpy put the rights of one can not be trespassed over the wants of the majority.That is what I learned in my history class. That's great in history class but not what works in reality. The recent Supreme Court decision that says the local govt can take my property to make a mall if it improves the local economy stands contrasts to your post.
February 8, 200620 yr Author What about all the Title IX issues? Or segregation in the South? Or the way the Presidetial election is set up with electoral college,not majority. And I certainly agree the recent decision by the Court is appauling to say the least. Sorry to get off the topic of the thread.
February 8, 200620 yr To me, a family has their children in a private school and one of the parent loses their job or passes on. The income is no longer there to continue paying for private school and they start attending a public school. With the ban from a feeder program and no waiver for financial distress, the kids are ineligible for 2 years. So to answer your question, the public school would have benefitted. I would agree with your ban on open enrollment. Im not saying I dont agree with your argument if a family can no longer afford it,however the potential for abuse is unlimited and very difficult if not impossible to police. Whether or not someone can afford something is in the eye of the beholder. We can always agree on extreme cases. However the majority of cases usually are not those. It seems this solution would not solve many problems but create a ton of new issues Also the answer would be the public school always benefit fro a financial waiver.
February 9, 200620 yr That would be the decision of whatever the governing body of the Governors Cup would vote into place. As the KHSAA has done. :thumb: It's called democracy and voting of the majority. You might have read about it sometime in a history class.. I hate getting home so late from work and then having to pick up my daughter from play practice ("Footloose").......as someone always beats me to the punch. Actually wasn't trying to be a “smart alec”, because when I was in High School the idea that the sport teams would ever separate by public/private wasn't ever thought of....Of course that was nearly fourth years ago and I guess the sign of the times. BTW: I wrote my State Representative this morning, to ask why I should have to pay for the public school students to take the ACT test. Seems that if they want to take a "private test" not administrated by the Commonwealth, then all should get to take it free.... And you know I went to that History Class both in High School and College and even opened up my books, and that is where I learned like the poster wrote prior to me, that we really don't live in a democracy, because if we did, you might still not be voting, or playing sports, or blacks surely wouldn't be voting nor attending public schools with white kids. You see that is why the founder’s fathers set up our government the way they did, to protect the rights of minorities and as you have learned, so too did the KSHAA....... You see sometimes the majority wants sometimes that goes against the rule of law, like keeping women from voting or even girls from being treated fairly playing sports. While the voice/vote of the people just might be overwhelming in support of or against something, it is usually decided by what is legal.....and that is a good thing for all of us, for if it was left up to majority rule all the time, this Country surely would be a whole lot different than it is today...As my Father used to say "in Germany if the results weren't what they wanted, they just voted again, and again and again, until the results were to their liking".
February 9, 200620 yr I hate getting home so late from work and then having to pick up my daughter from play practice ("Footloose").......as someone always beats me to the punch. Actually wasn't trying to be a “smart alec”, because when I was in High School the idea that the sport teams would ever separate by public/private wasn't ever thought of....Of course that was nearly fourth years ago and I guess the sign of the times. BTW: I wrote my State Representative this morning, to ask why I should have to pay for the public school students to take the ACT test. Seems that if they want to take a "private test" not administrated by the Commonwealth, then all should get to take it free.... And you know I went to that History Class both in High School and College and even opened up my books, and that is where I learned like the poster wrote prior to me, that we really don't live in a democracy, because if we did, you might still not be voting, or playing sports, or blacks surely wouldn't be voting nor attending public schools with white kids. You see that is why the founder’s fathers set up our government the way they did, to protect the rights of minorities and as you have learned, so too did the KSHAA....... You see sometimes the majority wants sometimes that goes against the rule of law, like keeping women from voting or even girls from being treated fairly playing sports. While the voice/vote of the people just might be overwhelming in support of or against something, it is usually decided by what is legal.....and that is a good thing for all of us, for if it was left up to majority rule all the time, this Country surely would be a whole lot different than it is today...As my Father used to say "in Germany if the results weren't what they wanted, they just voted again, and again and again, until the results were to their liking". I made this same point about a week ago, and I got attacked for making a bad comparison. That is right on. People have to realize why the system that in place exists. Its so the majority can't take advantage of the minority. Which in this case is the private schools.
February 9, 200620 yr Actually wasn't trying to be a “smart alec”, because when I was in High School the idea that the sport teams would ever separate by public/private wasn't ever thought of....Of course that was nearly fourth years ago and I guess the sign of the times. It was discussed and it was an issue. You might not have known about it, but trust those of us who have "been around" for awhile. The private/public situation has been an issue for awhile. As far as the Republic/Democracy thing, great discussion to have in the Politics & Religion forum. I look forward to you starting that thread and us having a great discussion on it there. I am eager to learn more about it. :thumb:
February 10, 200620 yr It was discussed and it was an issue. You might not have known about it, but trust those of us who have "been around" for awhile. The private/public situation has been an issue for awhile. As far as the Republic/Democracy thing, great discussion to have in the Politics & Religion forum. I look forward to you starting that thread and us having a great discussion on it there. I am eager to learn more about it. :thumb: Love your new logo! You look so happy........ :ylsuper: Really, back fourth (40) years ago? I would have thought that keeping blacks out of the public schools (remember the separate but equal day's) and trying to beat the mandated bussing days in Louisville (white flight), were more the talk of the public schools back then. I can remember playing against Louisville Central, Louisville Male and Shawnee when they were predominately all Black schools, and they had some great teams, great players and some wonderful coaches back then too.
February 10, 200620 yr Love your new logo! You look so happy........ :ylsuper: Really, back fourth (40) years ago? I would have thought that keeping blacks out of the public schools (remember the separate but equal day's) and trying to beat the mandated bussing days in Louisville (white flight), were more the talk of the public schools back then. I can remember playing against Louisville Central, Louisville Male and Shawnee when they were predominately all Black schools, and they had some great teams, great players and some wonderful coaches back then too. I am sorry, I thought it was a typo and the post, fourth (4th) meant four (4) instead of forty, (40). I would agree that 40 years ago the issues would have been much different.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.