Notre Dame Schedule

Looking at ND's schedule, I see that in the month of September they are traveling to L'ville, Las Vegas and Chicago. Is that normal for a high school VB team or is this just an anomaly since they have a loaded team? Have they done this in the past or is this just for exposure for their talented players? Just curious.

Vegas is normal too - The Durango tournament out there is very prestigious, as is the Chicago tourney. Top teams in the country in both. Assumption and Sacred Heart are also going to both tournaments (so yes, you could travel all the way to Vegas to play a Louisville school.) There's just not enough good competition in the Commonwealth for the elite teams, so they have to go out of state. NDA is also playing Ursuline Academy, St. Ursula, and Mother of Mercy from across the Ohio River. You won't get better beating up on the NKY locals, and NDA hasn't been pushed locally by anyone. Same reason Ryle softball plays so many out of state teams and Highlands football plays GCL schools.

• 2 weeks later...
You don't have the money ND has.

You make it sound like ND is sitting on a pile of money. I bet they are struggling like most Catholic schools these days and I'm guessing the parents are the ones who ultimately pay for all of this. It should be noted that there are public schools going to all of these same tourneys ND is going to. The real money comes from tax levys, not tuition.

• 2 weeks later...

NDA is not sitting on a pile of money, nor do I think dennis12b indicated that they were. The NDA volleyball program fundraises all the money that they need to attend these tournaments. If they fall short, the parents pay for it. It's a sacrafice that parents are willing to make when sending their kids to private schools. The school does not even pay for the players and coaches travel or hotel rooms. The only tournament that the school funds is if they make it to the State Volleyball Tournament.