#2(4A)LexCath / Ensworth (#22 Maxpreps nationally) Predictions

Who wins?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• LexCath
    • Ensworth

The Knights come off a sloppy win against Bell County and host nationally ranked (#22 by Maxpreps) Ensworth High School from Nashville. The game will be at 9 p.m. Saturday and will be broadcast nationally on ESPNU.

Can the Knights step up their offense after a tepid performance last week and beat a team that is 'on the cusp of football dynasty' according to Maxpreps? Or does Ensworth, powered by 'SEC-caliber' running back Cornelius Elder, run away with a victory under the bright national broadcast lights that will light up Clays Mill Road Saturday?

Maxpreps article on Ensworth:

MaxPreps 2012 Preseason Xcellent 25 Football preview: No. 22 Ensworth - MaxPreps News

We will quickly get a glimpse of what 4A is going to look like depending on this game. If LexCath wins, I would consider them the favorite. If they keep it w/in a TD, I consider them the favorite. A 10+ point loss, and it is a toss up b/n them, Highlands, and CovCath.

3 LexCath, Ensworth 0. Not bad.

Guide to the game:

Ensworth likes to run out of their 2 back, deep set back formation. They are very left handed coming out of that formation. Cornelius Elder gets a good head of steam up coming out of that deep starting position.

LexCath LBs Nick Foster (#45) and Josh Mesmer (#11) will have to get off their blocks near the line. Alex Nash (#31) will have to key more and blitz less and use his speed and quickness to get to Elder before he breaks free in the backfield.

Passing Ensworth likes to spread 3 wide outs and try to get the mismatch if the defense does not shift and pick up the formation.

On defense Ensworth will play a 3 or 4 down linemen. Occasionally blitzing but not like LexCath. They like their cover-2 as the primary coverage. This may create seems for the the LexCath speedsters - Casey Nash (#26) and David Bouvier (#12). The big receivers should also be able to split some seams. But the passes have to be crisp as the Ensworth defensive backs are fast and react well to the ball. Usually teams set up the pass with the run. In the case of LexCath they may be setting up the run with the pass. Lexcath does not use the 2 back set hardly at all. Most runs are draws coming out of pass formations or quick traps in a single back set.

We will quickly get a glimpse of what 4A is going to look like depending on this game. If LexCath wins, I would consider them the favorite. If they keep it w/in a TD, I consider them the favorite. A 10+ point loss, and it is a toss up b/n them, Highlands, and CovCath.

If Lex Cath wins, I would consider them a big favorite.