Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Doug Gottlieb leaving ESPN

Featured Replies

So I'm the only Gottleib fan?

  • Replies 51
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I'm the only Gottleib fan?
Read my above post, I would actually put him just behind Bilas when it comes to breaking down teams for March Madness. I'm sure at one time he said something about UK that didn't agree with their opinion and they're not fans
Read my above post, I would actually put him just behind Bilas when it comes to breaking down teams for March Madness. I'm sure at one time he said something about UK that didn't agree with their opinion and they're not fans

 

He did say he thought UNC when fully health was better than UK last year. That's fine. I know it upset Matt Jones and some of his listeners.

He did say he thought UNC when fully health was better than UK last year. That's fine. I know it upset Matt Jones and some of his listeners.

 

Because its a dumb opinion. UK beat UNC head to head, and its pretty hard to argue UNC improved more over the season than did UK's team full of Freshmen and Sophomores.

Because its a dumb opinion. UK beat UNC head to head, and its pretty hard to argue UNC improved more over the season than did UK's team full of Freshmen and Sophomores.

 

 

So had IU not played UK in the tourney you would have said IU was the better team because they beat them in December?

So had IU not played UK in the tourney you would have said IU was the better team because they beat them in December?

 

:lol: Only if IU had won the tournament, was ranked higher, had the better RPI, better record, and consensus player of the year on their team.

:lol: Only if IU had won the tournament, was ranked higher, had the better RPI, better record, and consensus player of the year on their team.

 

IU won a close game against UK at home.

 

UK won a close game against UNC at home.

 

Pretty identical situations.

 

I know myself and most UK fans were worried about only one team in the tournament, and that was UNC. If they played 10 times I'd be shocked if the results weren't 5-5 or at worst(best) 6-4 one way or the other.

:lol: Only if IU had won the tournament, was ranked higher, had the better RPI, better record, and consensus player of the year on their team.

 

That's different than what you claimed initially.

 

Regardless, why get mad at a guy who expresses an opinion that isn't completely whacky?

I liked Doug for the most part, I thought his shows were informational and he brought some good in site. Certainly better than what we have in town locally.

He did say he thought UNC when fully health was better than UK last year. That's fine. I know it upset Matt Jones and some of his listeners.
:puke:
IU won a close game against UK at home.

 

UK won a close game against UNC at home.

 

Pretty identical situations.

 

Pretty identical except for UK went on to lose exactly one more game, and win the NCAA tournament, while IU went on to lose 9 games and get put out of the tournament by UK. But other than that....

 

UK won head to head, had a better record, was ranked higher by every poll and computer program that ranks teams, etc, etc. Any argument that UK wasn't the best team in college basketball last year is wacky.

Pretty identical except for UK went on to lose exactly one more game, and win the NCAA tournament, while IU went on to lose 9 games and get put out of the tournament by UK. But other than that....

 

UK won head to head, had a better record, was ranked higher by every poll and computer program that ranks teams, etc, etc. Any argument that UK wasn't the best team in college basketball last year is wacky.

 

But that's not what you said. You simply said because UK beat them earlier in the season.

But that's not what you said. You simply said because UK beat them earlier in the season.

 

Umm... go back and look at the post you quoted when you said the situations were identical.

 

And just because I didn't lay out all 10,000 reasons doesn't mean Gottlieb's "UNC > UK" argument is any more valid. You and Clyde are the only ones ONLY looking at head to head results. I mentioned it because its a quick and easy metric, and all other things being equal (which they aren't, "all other things" pretty universally point to UK being better), is a good indication of the better team.

 

Next time I'll try to post a 20,000 word essay fully exploring the topic.

Umm... go back and look at the post you quoted when you said the situations were identical.

 

And just because I didn't lay out all 10,000 reasons doesn't mean Gottlieb's "UNC > UK" argument is any more valid. You and Clyde are the only ones ONLY looking at head to head results. I mentioned it because its a quick and easy metric, and all other things being equal (which they aren't, "all other things" pretty universally point to UK being better), is a good indication of the better team.

 

Next time I'll try to post a 20,000 word essay fully exploring the topic.

 

Weak, Moobar. How hard would it have been to post your 2nd post when you posted your 1st?

Weak, Moobar. How hard would it have been to post your 2nd post when you posted your 1st?

 

I'm really baffled that this turned into a discussion (at least in this direction). I mistakenly assumed it was pretty obvious that there were vastly more metrics that pointed to UK being better than UNC last year, and that anybody readying a Kentucky basketball message board in August would probably be aware of them.

 

Actually, I'm not sure I can come up with ANY objective measurement that would say UNC was better than UK.

 

I never meant to imply that the head to head result was the ONLY reason Gottlieb's statement was ridiculous (and it wasn't even the only reason I mentioned in my original post). And even after I expanded my point, you two didn't want to let it go. :idunno:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.