Ryle 4 Holy Cross 2

Congrats to Ryle.

Was it just me or did the 3-0 pitch on the last batter look WAY outside? Would've loaded the bases, instead game ended 2 pitches later.

t

I caught the end of this one on IHIGH and I quite frankly couldn't believe the call. It looked well outside, probably close to a foot. I'm sure the Holy Cross fans had to be steaming with Tiberi on deck and bases would've/should've been loaded for him.

Was there a reason Downs was pulled after 6?

Lots of praise to go around for both teams. Fuller was solid for Holy Cross but he was out dueled today by Downs. Really gutsy performance by closer Tanner Pulice battling all the way back from 3-0 on the last batter. Didnt look outside to me and i was right behind the plate. On the black and called that way all day. The next two pitches were no-doubters. Congrats Ryle!

Lots of praise to go around for both teams. Fuller was solid for Holy Cross but he was out dueled today by Downs. Really gutsy performance by closer Tanner Pulice battling all the way back from 3-0 on the last batter. Didnt look outside to me and i was right behind the plate. On the black and called that way all day. The next two pitches were no-doubters. Congrats Ryle!

Not going to take anything away from Ryle, Congrats! But, if watch this pitch on IHIGH it should have been ball 4. This view is from right behind the plate also.

t

I caught the end of this one on IHIGH and I quite frankly couldn't believe the call. It looked well outside, probably close to a foot. I'm sure the Holy Cross fans had to be steaming with Tiberi on deck and bases would've/should've been loaded for him.

Was there a reason Downs was pulled after 6?

Allows him to come back and pitch on Thursday should Ryle make the championship game.

Not going to take anything away from Ryle, Congrats! But, if watch this pitch on IHIGH it should have been ball 4. This view is from right behind the plate also.

It wasn't any different than any of the other pitches that were in question tonight. Balls that should have been balls that were called strikes and strikes that should have been called balls were called strikes it was consistently the same for both sides. The zone was pretty squezzzed at times. But pitch in question was a strike in the zone as it was called all night. I have yet to see a high school game in Ky where a strike is where the ball crosses the plate not where the catcher catches it.

For those that weren't there in person, Downs is the real deal. I felt that Ryle was a pretty safe prediction over Holy Cross in this game simply due to him pitching. He doesn't not give up many hits and when he does, there aren't extra baserunners that come around to score because he put them on via walks. He has outstanding control for a high school pitcher, especially one the throws as hard as he does and mixes in all three pitches. I believe just tied the record for wins in a season by a Ryle pitcher with 10. BTW, HC's pitcher Fuller threw very well himself. Ryle strung together a couple hits in the 4th to plate 3 runs, but other than that, he pretty much had Ryle's number.

Allows him to come back and pitch on Thursday should Ryle make the championship game.

Don't you think it would be tough for him to come back on 2 days rest. I know he would be able to based on rules but would he be effective? How many pitches did he throw thru 6?

Let me take a second to say "job well done" to Kyle Fuller. He has had a great run over 3 years at Holy Cross in all sports. Stud pitcher for 3 years, QB the state champ team, super sub on the All A state champ b-ball team.

Every team needs a Kyle Fuller.

Really gutsy performance by closer Tanner Pulice battling all the way back from 3-0 on the last batter. Didnt look outside to me and i was right behind the plate. On the black and called that way all day.

No dog in the fight at all and I was sitting right behind home plate also. It was a ball. Everyone I talked to thought it was ball 4. Either way congrats to Ryle. This thing is wide open.

For those that weren't there in person, Downs is the real deal. I felt that Ryle was a pretty safe prediction over Holy Cross in this game simply due to him pitching. He doesn't not give up many hits and when he does, there aren't extra baserunners that come around to score because he put them on via walks. He has outstanding control for a high school pitcher, especially one the throws as hard as he does and mixes in all three pitches. I believe just tied the record for wins in a season by a Ryle pitcher with 10. BTW, HC's pitcher Fuller threw very well himself. Ryle strung together a couple hits in the 4th to plate 3 runs, but other than that, he pretty much had Ryle's number.

I am very proud of Mark Downs . His composure on the mound has a huge plus side and after his future years at UC, we could very easily see him move on to the next level. I'm sure college ball will but an extra 20 lbs on his frame and the velocity of his fast ball will be at a higher level. Already, his pitch selection is outstanding and ability to keep the ball down in the zone is very good. And the scouts love the lefties.

Spartan, he threw 86 pitches (62 for strikes).

Funny thing is he was warming up again when things got dicey in the 7th and Roesel said he would have faced Tiberi had Pangallo reached base.

I have a question I asked a couple of people last night. I know in Major League Baseball a pitcher can't earn a win and a save in the same game, but can a high school pitcher (because of re-entry rule)?

Spartan, he threw 86 pitches (62 for strikes).

Funny thing is he was warming up again when things got dicey in the 7th and Roesel said he would have faced Tiberi had Pangallo reached base.

I have a question I asked a couple of people last night. I know in Major League Baseball a pitcher can't earn a win and a save in the same game, but can a high school pitcher (because of re-entry rule)?

Was wondering that myself a while back because that exact scenario (with Downs) could have occurred. I went through the NFHS scorebook and didn't see anything. So barring some specific reason why they should not be allowed, I would think it should be. It's odd, no doubt, and can't be compared to MLD socring rules since it could never happen. In the above referenced game with Downs, he pitched 6 innings and left with Ryle in the lead. In the 7th, a Ryle reliever put a couple guys on base, so Coach Roesel brought Downs back in. He gave up a hit which allowed the tying run to score. So he ended up initially leaving the game after 6 innings as the potential winning pitcher and left the 7th inning as having had a blown save. Kind of odd . . .