Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Trayvon Martin. Thread 2.

Featured Replies

Has there been evidence released that Zimmerman actually confronted Martin? Aside from the girl friends statement? Could have been and I just missed it.

 

Depends on your definition of "confront."

 

Let's say we all agree that Zimmerman approached Trayvon and asked him where he was going. Depending on the tone used (we don't know) that could be deemed to be a "confrontation." Is that enough though ?

  • Replies 318
  • Views 31.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming they can get audio of the call with the girlfriend, that should be what determines a guilty or not guilty verdict. If her testimony matches the audio, Zimmerman is going to be convicted.

Assuming they can get audio of the call with the girlfriend, that should be what determines a guilty or not guilty verdict. If her testimony matches the audio, Zimmerman is going to be convicted.

 

I don't think you can say that definitively .

 

You cannot discount the self-defense laws as they are written. We can all argue what SHOULD constitute self-defense but the prosecutor and the jury have to go by the law .

Assuming they can get audio of the call with the girlfriend,

 

I am not sure if they can get audio. It's my understanding it is illegal for those calls to be recorded.

Does Florida allow a jury to go with a lesser charge? Can the jury say no to Murder but settle on Manslaughter?

 

Don't know, I've asked that myself. If so, based on what I've seen so far, that's the way it's headed.

I don't think you can say that definitively .

 

You cannot discount the self-defense laws as they are written. We can all argue what SHOULD constitute self-defense but the prosecutor and the jury have to go by the law .

 

I don't know, if the audio shows Zimmerman following Martin on foot, confronting him, and starting a physical confrontation, I'd say it'd be pretty near impossible to have a jury say he was acting in self-defense.

I don't know, if the audio shows Zimmerman following Martin on foot, confronting him, and starting a physical confrontation, I'd say it'd be pretty near impossible to have a jury say he was acting in self-defense.

 

Logically many agree. However, the wording of the law doesn't necessarily agree.

Assuming they can get audio of the call with the girlfriend, that should be what determines a guilty or not guilty verdict. If her testimony matches the audio, Zimmerman is going to be convicted.

 

I don't think they even need audio. If they can pinpoint the time of the call to the time of the fight, I think that's enough. If I were on the jury I would put myself in Martin's position. If I'm being followed at night and I decide to confront the person, I'm not going to be on the phone as that leaves me a little too open. So to me, if the phone records show he was on the phone, then Zimmerman approached him and started the altercation.

I don't think they even need audio. If they can pinpoint the time of the call to the time of the fight, I think that's enough. If I were on the jury I would put myself in Martin's position. If I'm being followed at night and I decide to confront the person, I'm not going to be on the phone as that leaves me a little too open. So to me, if the phone records show he was on the phone, then Zimmerman approached him and started the altercation.

 

Where does that show he acted with "depraved mind" as required by the written law?

 

 

I found this. Obviously, it's one person's opinion so there will be others who disagree.

 

But analysts say the evidence released so far contains little information to support the prosecutor's contention that Zimmerman acted with a "depraved mind" when he shot Martin — a standard the prosecution must meet if the murder charge is to stand.

Read more at Jacksonville.com: Experts: Evidence released in George Zimmerman case doesn't show his mindset that night | jacksonville.com

 

 

"I still don't see any evidence yet of the elements of second-degree murder," said Miami defense attorney John Priovolos, a former prosecutor. The special prosecutor "has to prove ill will, hatred or spite. I don't see any evidence of his state of mind," he said.

 

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2012-05-21/story/experts-evidence-released-george-zimmerman-case-doesnt-show-his-mindset#ixzz1vceUyvtM

I'm still thinking manslaughter. I don't think they can get murder 2.

Logically many agree. However, the wording of the law doesn't necessarily agree.

 

Right, but the jury is the one deciding. If you convince them, you win.

Zimmerman, however, has said it was Martin who first attacked him — and that he shot Martin in self-defense after Martin smacked his head repeatedly on the pavement. During a bail hearing last month, Dale Gilbreath, an investigator for the prosecution, said he had no evidence to contradict Zimmerman's description of the fight.

Read more at Jacksonville.com: Experts: Evidence released in George Zimmerman case doesn't show his mindset that night | jacksonville.com

A judge must review a Stand Your Ground defense before trial, and the case must be dismissed if the evidence shows it is more likely than not that the person was acting in self-defense — a lower standard of evidence than the one prosecutors must meet to get a conviction. Even if Zimmerman's conduct sparked the confrontation, he could still be protected under Stand Your Ground if he did not strike the first blow, experts say.

"Whether he started it or Trayvon started it, we don't know," Weiner said. "There's a real chance the case will be tossed out."

 

 

Read more at Jacksonville.com: Experts: Evidence released in George Zimmerman case doesn't show his mindset that night | jacksonville.com

^I'm going to say, no chance in hell it gets even remotely close to being tossed out.

I saw an article that said the jury could settle for a lesser charge such as manslaughter in this case.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.