Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ryle 6 Covington Catholic 5

Featured Replies

Ryle 6 CovCath 5

 

Congrats to the Raiders and their seniors on the win today on the Ryle Raiders Senior Day.

 

I have said all year, to win this year, you have to have pitching and play "D" and today CovCath didn't play "D" as they had six errors and I could have given them a seventh but for a bad hop single. You can't win games when you give the other team so many extra chances at the plate.

 

Tomlin took the loss but he and Fagel deserved better from their teammates today!

 

Stats and such tomorrow as I promised "The Boss" that we would go out to dinner tonight!

  • Replies 32
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither team put on a defensive clinic today and it hurt both pitchers.

 

Give Ryle credit. Down 2(I think) and first two get out but they then have 5 straight hits to run Fagel.

 

TOG, give me the 6 errors for CCH. I don't remember that many. I remember a throwing error on a steal. I remember Best having an error on a grounder early.

 

I'm blanking on the rest.

I was really impressed with the Ryle reliever. Kid can be good next season.

I was really impressed with the Ryle reliever. Kid can be good next season.

 

Justin Hoard. First time I've got to see him myself and I was equally impressed. Throws hard, nice curve, decent control. Very well may end up the ace of the staff next season.

Neither team put on a defensive clinic today and it hurt both pitchers.

 

Give Ryle credit. Down 2(I think) and first two get out but they then have 5 straight hits to run Fagel.

 

TOG, give me the 6 errors for CCH. I don't remember that many. I remember a throwing error on a steal. I remember Best having an error on a grounder early.

 

I'm blanking on the rest.

 

Don't recall 6 errors either. I'm looking at the scorebook kept at the announcer's table and am counting only 4 errors (2 E4, 1 E6, and 1 E2). Ryle had 3 errors themselves (plus a lazy flyball that dropped two feet from two OF'ers and should have been easily caught) and a bunch of walks - so there were quite a few giveaways on both sides. This was not some game which Ryle won because they played a clean game and CCH handed it to them.

 

Ryle was down the whole game until they plated 3 runs in the 5th inning on 5 straight singles to take a 5-4 lead. CCH tied it in the 6th and could have taken the lead if not for an outstanding diving play by Ryle 3Bman Tyler Lonnemann. Ryle then picks up the winning run in the bottom of the 6th when the first batter reaches on an error and eventually scores from third when CCH fails to turn a clean DP with one out.

 

Again, not a well-played defensive game by either team, but an exciting game nonetheless and a great Senior Day for Ryle's seniors. Ryle finishes the final week of regular season with wins over NCC, #11 Bryan Station, Simon Kenton, and #4 CCH to run their record to 24-11-1. I would assume they'll drop at least 4 more places in the next state poll. :rolleyes:

I also remember an E7 and E3 on dropped balls by the Colonels. Sloppy game but entertaining unless you are Coach Roesel or Krump. It seems like CC scored 3 runs on 1 hit over 2 innings early. Then Ryle handed them another run on a botched play with CC runners at 1 and 3 and 2 outs. The lowlight of this perfect day for baseball occurred in the parking lot on the way out. Some lady is screaming loudly to some CC players that they suck and are terrible and something else I can't repeat. She then gets in the vehicle with one if the players so it must have been a Mom. It was bizarre and ridiculous and she seemed totally hacked off about losing a ball game. It was one of the craziest things I have witnessed.

Hats off to the Ryle grounds crew. Best-looking infield in NKY.

I forgot about the E3 on the foul ball. Had no impact as the batter ended up being the 3rd out.

Hats off to the Ryle grounds crew. Best-looking infield in NKY.

 

Dan Carney has been the ringleader for improvements to the field at Ryle over the past few years. He has done an amazing job of improving the baseball field at Ryle. It really did look beautiful today. Great job, Dan the man. Even ran the P.A. and scoreboard today although he is better at groundskeeping than scorekeeping. LOL!!!!

Ryle 6 CovCath 5

 

Congrats to the Raiders and their seniors on the win today on the Ryle Raiders Senior Day.

 

I have said all year, to win this year, you have to have pitching and play "D" and today CovCath didn't play "D" as they had six errors and I could have given them a seventh but for a bad hop single. You can't win games when you give the other team so many extra chances at the plate.

 

Tomlin took the loss but he and Fagel deserved better from their teammates today!

 

Stats and such tomorrow as I promised "The Boss" that we would go out to dinner tonight!

 

Wow TOG. I understand your frustration when the Colonels don't play up to, uh, "their" expectations. Or others. Maybe the Colonels will learn from their miscues today. Were they errors from just plain bad play or were they from plays caused by Ryle being a quality team. I don't know. I wasn't there.

 

I'm just saying that to call out the whole team because a pitcher or two pitched what is perceived by some worthy of better play from teammates, well seems kind of harsh. Would the same be said if Tomlin or Fagel didn't pitch so well and the "team" played outstanding "D" behind them and/or the offense scored a bunch of runs but neither pitcher could hold the opposing team to less runs. I dunno!

 

Just saying!

  • Author

Just got back for dinner with my wife and I can't believe I am getting called out by folks who didn't even attend the game!

First innings:

1# E-2 Throwing, allowing the runner to go to third!

 

#2 E-4 allowing runner to reach 1st base.

 

Second Inning

#3 E-3 First baseman not catching a pop up foul ball in foul territory!

 

Fourth inning

#4 E-7 drooped fly ball

 

Sixth Inning

#5 E-4 Allowing runner to reach first base.

 

Sixth inning

#6

E-6T thrown ball to first that should have been a DP and the third out!

Edited by Theoldguy

  • Author
That had to be Tomlin's mom!:lol:

 

 

After seeing you at Barleycorns I must say, I pity the Mrs or was that your girlfriend that you were with?

 

The poor women couldn't wait until you shut up, so she could leave!

 

As usual the information you give is incorrect as the Tomlins were at the JV game and not at the Varsity game!

Just got back for dinner with my wife and I can't believe I am getting called out by folks who didn't even attend the game!

First innings:

1# E-2 Throwing, allowing the runner to go to third!

 

#2 E-4 allowing runner to reach 1st base.

 

Second Inning

#3 E-3 First baseman not catching a pop up foul ball in foul territory!

 

Fourth inning

#4 E-7 drooped fly ball

 

Sixth Inning

#5 E-4 Allowing runner to reach first base.

 

Sixth inning

#6

E-6T thrown ball to first that should have been a DP and the third out!

 

I couldn't see this one from where we were sitting. Ryle players said it was a hit, so I believed them. :ohbrother: Did he just flat out drop the ball?

 

The drop in foul territory by 1Bman I didn't record as an error since, as Clyde said, the batter was ultimately retired and the fielder clearly struggled with the sun. Unless you've ever had to look up for a ball into the sun at that time of day at Ryle's field, you can't imagine how difficult it is. Obviously catchable, but not nearly an easy as it looks, trust me.

  • Author
I couldn't see this one from where we were sitting. Ryle players said it was a hit, so I believed them. :ohbrother: Did he just flat out drop the ball?

 

The drop in foul territory by 1Bman I didn't record as an error since, as Clyde said, the batter was ultimately retired and the fielder clearly struggled with the sun. Unless you've ever had to look up for a ball into the sun at that time of day at Ryle's field, you can't imagine how difficult it is. Obviously catchable, but not nearly an easy as it looks, trust

 

me.

 

The E-7 was in his glove and he just dropped it. If you call it a hit, then I am sorry but you are not excepting what we are expecting from our players in catching a ball!

 

So because the batter struck our later on the play, you are not calling it an error? Again I am sorry but a pop up that should have been caught regardless it if turns into a K later is still an error! The ball should have been caught!

 

I guess my expectational of what CovCarth players should or shouldn't catch are higher than other teams!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.