High school seniors and the MLB draft

Rhino859

Im curious to know if anyone is up to speed on how a player, or player's parent would go about registering for the MLB draft during the player's senior year? I have always been curious if the players have to actually "declare" or if they are automatically eligable to be drafted..

Thanks

That is what I thought, but there has to be some type of registration process.. Becasue someone who is good enough to be drafted, may not want to be drafted (playing another sport in college etc..). Then a team would be wasting time and effort drafting said player.

That is how I thought it worked, but just wanted to see if anyone else had any other information.

From MLB.com....

the basic eligibility criteria can be described as follows: Generally, a player is eligible for selection if the player is a resident of the United States or Canada and the player has never before signed a Major League or Minor League contract. Residents of Puerto Rico and other territories of the United States are eligible for the Draft. Also considered residents are players who enroll in a high school or college in the United States, regardless of where they are from originally.

Certain groups of players are ineligible for selection, generally because they are still in school. The basic categories of players eligible to be drafted are:

• High school players, if they have graduated from high school and have not yet attended college or junior college;

• College players, from four-year colleges who have either completed their junior or senior years or are at least 21 years old; and

• Junior college players, regardless of how many years of school they have completed