New stadium for Beechwood?

bjaynes

I am not trying to start a rumor here. I am only looking for validation to what I have heard from a couple of different sources that the Beechwood Independent School District is "talking" to the owners of the Fort Mitchell Hotel about acquiring the property, raising the hotel and building a new football stadium on the site. Has anyone else in the BW community heard this?

For those have not heard of this hotel it has been nothing but a nuisance in recent years and was finally ordered to be closed down by the courts. I think everyone in the area would rejoice in seeing this eyesore gone. It is on the other side of I-75 from the high school so that could be issue with foot traffic. Apparently, the school would like to use the current football field for soccer since soccer is currently on the baseball field. There is not much room to expand the facilities around the school grounds so this move would make some sense even though they just finished a new field house last year on the sidleine of the current football field.

Short term - I think with all the money they have put into building the new field house it would seem a bit odd.

Long Term - Would be a great idea. Not only to get rid of that hotel, but Beechwood could build a very nice complex on that property. With Beechwood adding a middle school football team last year, Having both fields will allow for events for one sport and practice for another at the old stadium/field house. Of all the things that could be done with that property, Id rather see a new sports complex than another Hotel..

I can't imagine there being the money to do that. Beechwood had to cut the new kitchen out of the current project because they didn't have enough money. There is another phase of construction still to be funded for more classrooms, remodeling the kitchen and other items. If they don't have the money to do that, no way they have the money for a new stadium. Beechwood barely has enough money to put a roof on the small concession stand at the current field. Furthermore, I don't think it really makes sense. It is across the expressway from the awesome new Athletic Fieldhouse where the locker rooms, weight rooms and coaches offices are. That is a huge factor. When this current project is completed, the Beechwood stadium is going to be one of the most beautiful around. Finally, I don't think there is enough room there for a stadium and parking. If anything happens with that property along the lines of this rumor, I believe it would be a soccer field and softball field for the girls sports.

Why would BW need another football field?

bjaynes is saying it is needed for girls soccer. The current football field gets an unbelievable amount of use. Football, track, girls softball games, baseball practice, band, etc. The field is in non stop use and organizing the time for it all is a challenge. Personally, I see the biggest need being girls softball. They really have no field and play their games on the football field with temporary fences that have to be put up and down for every game. The biggest needs IMO are a girls softball field and another gym. There is only one gym at Beechwood for the entire elementary and high school K-12.

I can't imagine there being the money to do that. Beechwood had to cut the new kitchen out of the current project because they didn't have enough money. There is another phase of construction still to be funded for more classrooms, remodeling the kitchen and other items. If they don't have the money to do that, no way they have the money for a new stadium. Beechwood barely has enough money to put a roof on the small concession stand at the current field. Furthermore, I don't think it really makes sense. It is across the expressway from the awesome new Athletic Fieldhouse where the locker rooms, weight rooms and coaches offices are. That is a huge factor. When this current project is completed, the Beechwood stadium is going to be one of the most beautiful around. Finally, I don't think there is enough room there for a stadium and parking. If anything happens with that property along the lines of this rumor, I believe it would be a soccer field and softball field for the girls sports.

I have to agree with your idea of putting the sports that do not have a permanent home in a new area if it does come to fruition. The football stadium as it stands is just fine.......maybe some restrooms nearby would be money better spent. It certainly is not a capacity issue since BW rarely sells out. The money issue on the school expansion is interesting since the the bids on the original project came in under budget and they were able to add two more classrooms.....at least that was what was reported. The construction must have shot the budget and then some or it's for a different phase. The concession stand is not that large. You would think there would be enough excess materials from the school expansion to put a decent dent in the concession roof budget.

Finally, I don't think there is enough room there for a stadium and parking.
You are correct, there is barely enough room for a field on that site, and I am sure that the neighbors would lay in front of the bulldozers before they would allow a stadium to be placed there, and right on the highway? Maybe someone thought of this as a "what if", but I am sure this would never happen.

Also, I would be interested in seeing pics of what the new addition is going to look like, and you mentioned it will make it one the best looking stadiums around.

You are correct, there is barely enough room for a field on that site, and I am sure that the neighbors would lay in front of the bulldozers before they would allow a stadium to be placed there, and right on the highway? Maybe someone thought of this as a "what if", but I am sure this would never happen.

Also, I would be interested in seeing pics of what the new addition is going to look like, and you mentioned it will make it one the best looking stadiums around.

Go to Beechwood's website and there should be pics there. I haven't looked in a while and can't say if they do have drawings of this phase on there, but they have done a good job throughout these construction projects of putting information, pictures and drawings on the website.

Go to Beechwood's website and there should be pics there. I haven't looked in a while and can't say if they do have drawings of this phase on there, but they have done a good job throughout these construction projects of putting information, pictures and drawings on the website.

I have not looked at the website yet. Physically, it looks like they are bringing the expansion right down the hill to the back of the endzone and the footings form a "V" shape. Does any of this expansion tie into the game experience such as a viewing area, etc.?

This ^

I have not looked at the website yet. Physically, it looks like they are bringing the expansion right down the hill to the back of the endzone and the footings form a "V" shape. Does any of this expansion tie into the game experience such as a viewing area, etc.?

Perhaps some impact for those people who like to stand on the hill in the end zone. I believe the part of building that will be jutting out toward the field is the new cafeteria which will have a bank of windows looking out on the field. Maybe we should start a rumor that those will actually be Beechwood luxury boxes. :lol: Hmmmm .... on second thought, maybe we are onto something.

Perhaps some impact for those people who like to stand on the hill in the end zone. I believe the part of building that will be jutting out toward the field is the new cafeteria which will have a bank of windows looking out on the field. Maybe we should start a rumor that those will actually be Beechwood luxury boxes. :lol: Hmmmm .... on second thought, maybe we are onto something.

Might be. There is obviously food service capabilities so why not have an end zone restaurant on game nights? I love rumors.