AAU Boys Basketball ????

It has to be an attempt to stop high school coaches from coaching their teams year round. Since they seem to struggle with governing the adults, this seems to be an attempt to govern the students athlete's. Even though it's in an atmosphere that is not school related. People in power over stepping their bounds. JMO

It has to be an attempt to stop high school coaches from coaching their teams year round. Since they seem to struggle with governing the adults, this seems to be an attempt to govern the students athlete's. Even though it's in an atmosphere that is not school related. People in power over stepping their bounds. JMO
There's already a rule in place to keep high school coaches from doing that. I think this is a stupid rule. Look at the success of Madison Central and you don't have to look much farther than all of them playing together on the AAU circuit for so long, IMHO.

There's already a rule in place to keep high school coaches from doing that. I think this is a stupid rule. Look at the success of Madison Central and you don't have to look much farther than all of them playing together on the AAU circuit for so long, IMHO.

I know there is a rule governing high school coaches. I too can vouch for bringing a group of youngsters up playing together. I still believe OHSAA is trying to keep players split up, to further their control of high school coach involvement with AAU teams. I would have to believe that a coach, was pushing the gray area of "off season coach involvement" to have a rule such as this implemented. Instead of making severe repercussions for coaches who choose to break the rules. It's easier to control and run rough shod over youngsters. If a student athlete chooses to break the rules, he is simply deemed ineligible. If a coach breaks the rules, that's an entirely different can of worms, with a much broader scope of problems. Make it simple, If you're a high school coach, and you choose to break the rules and coach your high school team in AAU. You will be band from coaching at that school forever and in the state for a determined number of years.

Does anyone know how many kids from the same high school can play on an AAU team?

I have heard only 2...is that correct?

Is it the same for Ky & Ohio?

In KY you can have as many players from one HS on a spring and summer team, but school coaches are not allowed to coach any of their players during this time.

Not sure why states want to continue to try and take control away from high school coaches and give it to AAU guys. I know the argument is they will make them play too much but I dont agree with that especially in Ky with a mandatory dead period and cant play games in July. Kids that really want to play will play more games with AAU teams than there high school teams. There are some AAU teams that will start playing as soon as the State tournament is over and play every weekend.

Shawn Thacker sat on the bench of his son's AAU team.

I too know of a coach that put his son on a team so he could come to the games during dead period. The son only suited up during the dead period even though he was on the roster the entire year. He didn't coach, per say, but he did sit in the stands right at the end of the bench.

Yeah cause usually the HS coach starting center comes back wanting to be a point guard.

High school coaches can coach AAU when schools out and there is no dead period.

If the starting center could be a point guard, isn't that a good thing?