Everything posted by danky325
-
Montgomery Co v/s Lex. Christian 1/17 Predictions
I am glad he made it back, the LCA center Nevitt, tore his patella tendon one week prior to the start of the season, had surgery and has been rehabing which will be 12 weeks come next Thursday, and still he has not been released to play yet. Loosing a senior season is no fun. So trust me I can understand Stephens disappointment, luckily it was during the summer, and now he can help his team when it counts. Good Luck tommorrow night. Trust me we have been very humbled by all this.
-
Juniors playing J.V.
I know a couple of years ago Tates Creek had a large Senior class, and I remember their coach telling the LCA coaches in a JV game that many of his juniors wouldn't get much playing time if they didn't play JV. I have no problem if the juniors are getting little playing time at the varsity level.
-
Montgomery Co v/s Lex. Christian 1/17 Predictions
They played during the summer AAU tournament and LCA won, however, Montgomery's center had to leave the game late in the game with a twisted ankle and didn't finish the game, and LCA is still without their starting center from that game. My heart says LCA, but my head says Montgomery County.
-
Highlands going forward after injury to Nic Simpson
My sympathy to the team, my son has yet to play this season for LCA out with a knee injury, so I know how frustrating it is to think why might have been. Hopefully the kids can find a way to win despite the injuries.
-
Lexington Christian fined over financial aid to athletes
Simply seconding, as this is my understanding too, having read the ruling, and not relying up the newspaper article.
-
Lexington Christian fined over financial aid to athletes
But you are RIGHT, even one getting support that other kids are not entitled is WRONG.
-
Lexington Christian fined over financial aid to athletes
Agreed you won't find public schools found giving scholarships to athletes, because it's free, no wait not free, I pay taxes to support the school system, oh and that's right my kids don't benefit "directly" from that. I know the arguement we as a "community" benefit by paying taxes to educate children. In all honesty I have no trouble paying taxes to help other children attend school, and yes I make the choice to pay for my childrens education. I just feel the arguement of public kids not getting money is a moot point. The fact that kids may have gotten money, and ALSO played sports is the issue at hand, and yes penalties should be assessed. By the way do you realize it cost parents and additional $450-$600 in feels just to participate in athletes, and that number is low when you don't factor in summer basketball and AAU High School summer basketball.
-
Lexington Christian fined over financial aid to athletes
The reporter added the number from each of 4 years 2 plus 5 plus 5 plus 4 to get 16, but this represented only 7 athletes over all the sports. Therefore, 11non-athletes received assitance to attend school. Also, no athlete in the 2007-2008 (current year) received any assistance. Not saying this shouldn't have a punishment, just pointing out that you have to be careful just accepting what you read in the newspaper. Obviously it depends on who someone compiles the words or "add the numbers". What do you get what you add 1+1, well 11 of course. Actually if you skim the report quickly the mistake could be made, but inquiry should have cleared that up. We as individuals all will have a feeling on what is enough punishment, we have the debate every time we hear of something on the news, and even though we may not feel the punishment fits others may feel its too much (in general not in this case). On certain issues I am thankful I don't pick the punishment as I would be too harsh, and in other casesr too easy. Anyway not making excuses just pointing out an inconsitency, and to make a plea not to let ones anger take this out on the kids. I dread the wrath to come to some kids that I know just wanna play basketball, but hey I too could be wrong, and the fans and student body will have compassion, maybe.....
-
Lexington Christian fined over financial aid to athletes
7 of 18 athletes over a 4 year time frame
-
Lexington Christian fined over financial aid to athletes
OOOOPs this is not the report, I will have to get it post it somehow.
-
Lexington Christian fined over financial aid to athletes
Thank you for posting that, I was obtaining a copy of the physical report tonight. Now I don't have to post it.
-
Lexington Christian fined over financial aid to athletes
Who would believe me :confused:, just as I said others shouldn't make statements as absolutes same as I shouldn't. Bottom line if people care to know they can read, honestly, most have their minds made up, and feel the penalty wasn't severe enough. You know they might be right, I dunno, my point is, one should read the report, not just a reporters interpretation. I guess sort of like the baseball steroid scandel, but I tried reading that massive novel.....:scared:
-
Lexington Christian fined over financial aid to athletes
You would have to ask the reporter, you should know that often times people are quoted (I had it happen to me at U.K. once) and the reporter for what ever reason, takes quote out of context. Honestly I don't know, but it was my understanding that the paper is probably going to be contacted to clarify a few points. I know the school has copies of the report, but that doesn't help people not in the general area. If I hear of it getting posted, I will post a link.
-
Lexington Christian fined over financial aid to athletes
A copy of the report to be fair, should be posted for all to read at some point, there were some incorrect information that was put in the Herald Leader article, however, what doesn't change is some athletes in the PAST received assistance. There were seven not sixteen athletes, and the 18 students spanned kindergarten through high school over 4 years. Most noteably, NO student received this outside assistance during the current school year. Still sins of the past to be paid for, but the article miss reported some things. But then which of us have not seen that happen before in other circumstances, I am sure it was unintentional, but when its the paper, then of course it all is "correct" without question. Only read the report, before using "everyone" knows for a fact that "__________".
-
Lexington Christian fined over financial aid to athletes
Thank you, thats what I was attempting to say with a bit of humor, but you said better.
-
Lexington Christian fined over financial aid to athletes
Yes you can, within in limits, you can seek help from private individuals, you can see housing assistance, call TY at Extreme Home Improvements, apply for special loans, or make sacrifices to be able to afford to get the home. The point of getting the assistance is not the point here, it's what was the TRUE motive for the assistance.
-
Lexington Christian fined over financial aid to athletes
I am only posing extra thought to expound the conversation I apologize if someone construes this as justification, it is not, RECRUITING is wrong and a fair punishment assessed. As stated earlier and to clarify more, if the student (non-athlete) receives assistance, from a church or foundation outside the school, but later becomes an athlete a year or two later while still receiving the assistance, that could be considered recruiting. As I said I believe they are making those rules clearer. The point to make though is this student could be a poor athlete, but would have to choose between athletics and getting assistance. AGAIN, not saying right or wrong, more less wondering, I would think most would realize the education is more important, and if the assistance helped that, the preclusion from participating in a sport is a small price to pay for a quality education. Again I apologize for typing the previous post wrong
-
Lexington Christian fined over financial aid to athletes
Point well made. Just to bring out something that might not have been brought up with the current rules, and I believe that is being clarified in the new rules being drafted. If a student (non-athlete) received tuition assistance in middle school from a church or private foundation due to that churches or private foundation board directive, and then continued receiving assistance which is not out of the norm, on into high school, if that student receives the same assistance that they had been receiving all along, but chooses in their junior year to play a high school sport, this would fall under the interpretation of the KHSAA as recruiting. Just something to think about.
-
Lexington Christian fined over financial aid to athletes
I might be wrong but I thought swamp thing was using sarcasm to state a point that, either way the private school is always going to be perceived as in the wrong.
-
Lexington Christian fined over financial aid to athletes
Thank you, as that is how are family is feeling, ashamed and hurt. It was brutal enough visiting certain schools. Ironically, schools outside of Lexington, have been passionate but done in a spirit of competition, while on the other hand, some of the other schools in this area can have the cruelest things said. I guess maybe they were toughening us up for things to come, I say that with tounge in cheek.
-
Lexington Christian fined over financial aid to athletes
I am just thinking out loud and not saying this has any merit. But what I am hearing is banning LCA in totality, would it not be reasonable (and I have no problem with this as an LCA supporter) to have the sport that benefitted be the one to forfeit games or be banned? Just talking out loud, as I said before, I am in no way of defending anything, I am upset by this. For one I think the boys basketball team will be the ones to feel the anger of most of this, and I would venture to say, have not benefited any. My heart goes out to my son who is going to have to hear things slurs that will be slung at ball games. My feeling is that for some, no punishment will ever be enough, but that is human nature I suppose, and if the roles were reversed there is no way of my knowing how much would be enough for even myself. A term comes to mind, guilt by association, we have all been there, I guess another life lesson for young men and women.
-
Lexington Christian fined over financial aid to athletes
Every High School team in Lexington, or feeder school puts together an AAU team. Common practice to have the kids play together.
-
Lexington Christian fined over financial aid to athletes
I didn't miss this young man, a very good kid, and it's your contention that you know that he was recruited, or is it just your feeling that he was recruited. I think it shows very poor judgement to call out any kid on this board. This is someone that sees very few minutes, if any on the court. Maybe some of the starters should ask for a rebate? Seriously I think in this thread we should be very careful calling out young men, and making statements that you can't possibly substantiate. Accusations can be thrown around at no cost to the accuser I suppose.
-
Lexington Christian fined over financial aid to athletes
Hmmmmm I have done that, have you? Gold mine? Not so sure, as evident by the fact that when my son tore up his knee at basketball practice, we even had to find our own crutches for him to use. Certaintly not the paved hallways of gold one might think. I can ony speak to the basketball program, and trust me I struggle to make the tuition, and even though my son has been a starter at all levels since the 7th grade, we have had the same EXTRA athletic fees with no assistance, or wait maybe he just isn't that good :sssh:. I can't speak to the other sports, and to be honest if they did recruit then I am ashamed, but as to the basketball team, well most schools still enjoy seeing us on their schedule as a win. I don't see LCA putting that much fear with our guys dunking every time down the court, or our towering GIANTS on the court. We are just a small school that comes out of a fairly weak 11th region, that typically only has one strong team annually, and we have been knocked out of the State All A the last two years in the first round, so not really invoking fear. Again I can only speak to the basketball team and I really do not feel there is under the table recruiting for the next all state basketball player, we just get by. Again I will say if the other sports did recruit, then I think it is a sad thing indeed. However, my heart goes out to the kids and parents who do sacrifice, out of their choice I might add, to pay the tuition, to pay the athletic fees, and try to do things the right way, because now our sons and daughters are like the baby thrown out with the wash. Trust me there are some great young men and women, just like at the public schools, it's a shame when adults screw things up, even IF there were the best of intentions (helping minority students). As always the kids ultimately suffer, both public and privately educated students. I went to public school, and played public athletics, there were things that went on there that were unfair, but when imperfect people run things, imperfect things will happen.
-
LCA 58 Rose Hill 53
Being part of the LCA family, I want to thank you for those kind words, and I know the LCA staff thinks a lot of the Rose Hill program. You are so correct that in 20 years what was done on the high school basketball courts will be long forgotten. As I have mentioned in other posts my son is the LCA player that sustained the knee injury that has kept him from participating in any games this year, and yet being part of the LCA program, having Tommy Huston and Brad Carter as coaches, has been a blessing to him. I am more proud of the person he has become, than anything he might have been able to accomplish on the basketball court this year. All basketball shots taken today will be fade aways come tomorrow.