Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

DanGiga

Standard Membership
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by DanGiga

  1. A question for a future episode. What’s late season look like in a couple different scenarios? Winning season possible deep playoff run. .500 season possibility of getting a good/bad draw into the play offs. And a losing season no hopes of a play off berth. Just to add to the question and make it more complex. What changes at different roster numbers? 22-35, 40-60, 60+, 80+. I know the kids you have currently would be really telling. You guys do a great job! Love listening!
  2. I feel like the aspect of the game is going to the wayside due to local radio stations being bought up or just shutting down. Where I live the "BIG" games are on the radio, but the smaller communities don't have any sort of media presence. It's really sad because when I was younger you could listen to most every game from local ones to if the wind caught just right you could get some from central Kentucky. Streams are great and everything, I just miss the local color commentary.
  3. While my opinion doesn't mean much, I can talk from personal experience about the best things a high school athlete needs. One of the most important things is explosive movement from a variety of positions, like cleans, deadlifts, plyos, and sprinting. The speed of these movements is what sets athletes apart on the field. Someone who can typically clean and deadlift with speed tends to have good in-game movement. Learning how to run is a skill these days, and it's pretty scary if you think about the bigger picture—kids just don't know how to move their bodies efficiently anymore. Teaching a athlete how to efficiently run and get rid of wasted movement is a lost art among coaches. The next hack that I always talk about is kids need to eat! And not just whats offered to them at school, athletes need almost double of what is offered, I always tell our guys to find a friend who doesn't eat their lunch and ask them to grab their plate so they can have a double portion. Its silly that it needs to be like this, but our kids just weren't eating enough. Boosters/Parents/Supporters also providing snacks for athletes can help with those energy stores before a practice/weights. A fridge/shelf full of snacks can allow a kid to quickly grab something to eat and have SOMETHING on their stomach for practice. The next hack that I'm currently struggling with here in West Virginia is sleep, our kids have to be in class at 7:37am, busses arrive at 7:05. So our kids are getting up at 5-5:30 in the morning to catch the bus and get to school. So if a student goes to bed at 10 they are getting at best 7 hours of sleep, where teenagers need 8-10 a night to see proper recovery and growth. @New Colonel Mentions that athletes need to be spent leaving the weight room, I agree and disagree at the same time. I think Offseason wise a good grind session is good for guys due to them needing to be challenged. But in the same breath I will say it needs to be something left in the tank so that recovery and growth isn't hindered. It is a delicate balance that we have to monitor, because if someone isn't recovering they aren't growing. The crucial point being is that our nervous systems are so in tuned to our performance wrecking that on Monday will most likely cause a loss of growth on Wednesday. Again no right or wrong here, just my own perspective. There is a ton of information you have all gathered and in my opinion that can create a great improvement to our sport, I do believe that in the last 20 years or so, the development of Kentucky Athletes has come leaps and bounds! That all comes from better coaching and a willingness to step outside our comfort zones.
  4. I think you are right in this. Kids want to do what they see on Saturdays, but at the end of the day I think winning helps. Look at Belfry, and Johnson Central. Many of the states "Best" most storied programs run some of those "tried and true" offenses. But coaches doing what they are comfortable with is the most important part of this whole equation. I couldn't run the west coast offense without a lot of study, deep dive, and maybe a mentor helping me through it. Its all about what the coach is willing to do to help his kids win ball games.
  5. Football like all trends is one big circle. What is popular and in vogue this season, might change in 10/20 years. Early football single wing stuff was all directional snaping to different backs, then under center became more popular, now shotgun is the popular set. Honestly I think we will see a coaches adapt to what specialties their kids have.
  6. Something I’ve always wanted to do! But never the right time. But coach you’re so right! Also love coaching wherever I’m at!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.