Everything posted by vansmetal
-
Madisonville North (Preview)
I figure that most schools would feel lucky to have at least one girl committed enough to go beyond high school and achieve to get on a college team. I want to know what's in the water. That's flat out awesome to have that many individuals getting to go to college to play ball. It sounds like individually their great but you don't get that far into a season without being a team. Big thumbs up to not only the young ladies and all that support them, but also to Madisonville North's program.
-
NKU camps
Just passing along what i came across on NKU softball site. Their having a winter camp starting January 11. More info on their site.
-
Early predictions on all 16 Regions
For 10th region, I believe that George Rogers Clark or Bourbon County will be at the top with Harrison County on their coattails.
-
Players/Coaches/Parents
What RCC9 wrote is the way I would envision it. I personally haven't had that experience as a parent yet. I hope parents, coaches, and softball daughters really think about what RCC9 wrote. I'm constantly trying to learn the game by talking to coaches, parents, players and yes, even my daughter who's probably taught me the most about the game. I personally feel that it takes an all out effort by all. Parents, coaches, and players all have certain expectations. I feel that we have to be realistic and realize that every player develops at different rates, not all coaches are cut from the same cloth and parents have cooties.:laugh: With that said, we must keep ourselves in check. If coaches or parents want their kids to achieve, we as parents or coaches must also help one another achieve. I personally feel that if a coach(and myself) expects my daughter to get better, then the parent and player has the right to expect the coach to get better. Also, the player and coach should expect the parent to get better. Remember, knowledge is power and in order to accomplish we must educate ourselves with the most accurate information we can find. Then check and double check all information you get told and find. I'm amazed about how many misinformed parents/players/coaches there are, but on the flip side their are so many that get it. For the ones that do get it, typically their team succeeds and their player has success to envy.:ylsuper: At the end of the day, it still is just a game. Don't forget to breathe and smile!!!:jump:
-
Players/Coaches/Parents
With more and more girls playing(training/preparing) year round, are they getting to be the difference makers that high school coaches want? If so, are the coaches doing the same(preparing/learning year round) to become the difference maker that the parents want? Are the parents learning year round to be the difference maker for the player/daughter? I ask this circle of ?'s to wonder who is the difference maker when it comes game time, or is it all or some of the above?
-
Top Teams In Northern KY
I would also say that Boone County is gonna be a strong contender.
-
Top Teams In Northern KY
Not sure what that has to do with the ?
-
Top Teams In Northern KY
I'm a Campbell County fan, but I would have to say that Highlands is the team to beat. I had the chance to meet their coach at next level for a clinic for rec. He impressed me and plus he's got a very passionate player that was with him and I couldn't believe how well spoken she was at her age. That team has got something special going on and I believe they'll keep riding high this year.
-
Campbell County
I know their are some also on the Xplosion, out of Boone County. Their program is actually what got me to wonder why we don't have something in the Campbell County area. Of course, I'm not sure about were the NKY Bandits are based out of. When searching the net, it seemed most teams from what I could find were everywhere but CC. I've asked some people here, in CC, that I know who have daughters that play rec or high school, what they thought of select. The answer I keep getting is that it's either to expensive or girls from this area aren't interested in softball. The Campbell County Rec league seems to draw them in and if girls from around CC area regardless of school, are going somewhere to play select, I would assume it would be a good idea. Maybe someone in the near future with the time, and know how will do it. I wish I could, but I'm a parent just learning from my daughter.lol.
-
Campbell County
Has anyone attempted to start a select ball program for the Campbell County area? Even though I'm partial to Campbell County High, I think it would help all schools in area. Although, Highlands is on the right track, and Bishop Brossart is doing well. I just think it would be nice, instead of driving towards Boone County or up into Ohio.
-
Travel ball...has it helped or hurt HS softball?
I couldn't agree more with greenandpurple. Even the pros have to go outside of just playing to get better. Practice, practice, practice, then some more. Also don't forget a good stretching and strength program can help a athlete go along ways. Also, positive mental focus on and off the field makes a huge difference.
-
Travel ball...has it helped or hurt HS softball?
If I'm not mistaken, I believe I know the program that theowenfive is frustrated with. When my daughter was cut, and I asked what she can improve on...response from the coach was that she can't improve. My daughter wants to prove that coach wrong, and turn a coaches negative tune to a positive. This coach has a right to her opinion and we'll respect her position. Besides that, congrats to your (theowenfive)daughter for getting a academic scholarship....that's awesome!!
-
Travel ball...has it helped or hurt HS softball?
I've got a middle school daughter who didn't make the team. She decided to hang up her note from the coach that she was cut to use as motivation. I love the fact that she isn't going to give up and lay down. If this is your daughters SR year, tell her to get after it if she wants it. I always tell my daughter, "nothing comes for free," go earn it. The young are normally hungry and the old wise. Whether your young or old, you gotta realize your strengths and use them to your full potential. Parents and players have got to realize that coaches are doing the best they can ( and yes I cringe for saying that). Reason I cringe is b/c all it takes is one bad coach to leave you thirsty. But the good coaches should full fill that thirst with knowledge and power to want to succeed. That's were it's the parents responsibility to continue to feed the fire (softball player). They say knowledge is power and I read a 180 page book on softball pitching from Michele Smith to let my daughter know that I'm all in with her. Regardless if she continues to get cut, I will know that we did our best to try to succeed(just as in a team). What I'm getting at, is you don't need money to have your kid be successful. Open your mouth and ask questions. Call high school coaches, college coaches or whoever to help you and your child learn. Pick up a softball book, go to games and continue to be involved with your child and they'll be better off. Softball we love, but it's not forever.
-
Travel ball...has it helped or hurt HS softball?
I agree with RCC9. I'm no coach, so do you go with the SR for mentality or 8th grader for longevity. I personally would put the 8th grader in for building experience....just my 2 cents:taz:
-
Travel ball...has it helped or hurt HS softball?
I think it depends on how good your high school coach is. Reason being, is that you can go try out for multiple teams year after year to have the coach you would like with travel ball. You can't really pick your high school coach unless your willing to move to a school district with a good known coach. I also think, regardless of how good your high school coach or travel ball coach is, playing both gives you different perspectives. With that being said, the more you learn and play the better you will become.