What's up in the 8th?

Where are all the regular commentators from the 8th region? It's been uncharacteristically quiet in regards to region rankings, predictions, etc. as we head into tourney time. So here is the question: What's up in the 8th? From upsets, sure-fire locks, who's going to walk the plank, go out on the limb ... to make the predictions? Here goes the first foolish attempt:

South Oldham (champ) / Trimble Co. (runner-up) -- Trimble Co. vs. Oldham Co. will be a dog-fight in 1st round; it's a coin-flip

Anderson Co. (champ) / Collins (runner-up) -- Collins will have a slight scare vs. Shelby Co.

Owen Co. (champ) / Gallatin Co. (runner-up) -- Owen is more experienced, and it will pay off as the game unfolds

Walton-Verona (champ) / Simon Kenton (runner-up) -- surprisingly to many, this will be a close one

Where are all the regular commentators from the 8th region? It's been uncharacteristically quiet in regards to region rankings, predictions, etc. as we head into tourney time. So here is the question: What's up in the 8th? From upsets, sure-fire locks, who's going to walk the plank, go out on the limb ... to make the predictions? Here goes the first foolish attempt:

South Oldham (champ) / Trimble Co. (runner-up) -- Trimble Co. vs. Oldham Co. will be a dog-fight in 1st round; it's a coin-flip

Anderson Co. (champ) / Collins (runner-up) -- Collins will have a slight scare vs. Shelby Co.

Owen Co. (champ) / Gallatin Co. (runner-up) -- Owen is more experienced, and it will pay off as the game unfolds

Walton-Verona (champ) / Simon Kenton (runner-up) -- surprisingly to many, this will be a close one

I think your spot on but I have to say, I would not be surprised if Simon Kenton upsets Walton. SK has been playing well of late and Walton has been somewhat inconsistent. As we know, anything can happen come tournament time.

C'mon retropop...you said something about going out on a limb. All the favorites winning their district? If you had to pick one of those four to be an upset, which one would it be? By what you wrote, I would assume you would pick SK over Walton. How about Collins over Anderson?

I'm going out on a limb and picking WV to win the region. They have proved themselves to come up big in big situations and find a way to win in close and overtime games. I am going with the experience of a heavy senior and junior team.

The truth is, as we all know, it is going to be a dog fight, with some close games, and for sure, a tough one to call.

Agree with you. I guess the reason there hasn't been much commentary would be due to the fact that everyone pretty much agrees with the "pecking order" of the 2011-2012 version of 8th Region girls basketball at this point. The only tough call could be who cuts down the nets in Lawerenceburg on March 3rd. Four real good teams sit atop the 8th Region pecking order, with Simon Kenton or Collins capable of giving a scare to or possibly knocking off one of the Big Four. After losing three starters and five of their top eight, Coach Howell has done a great job with Gallatin's young midgets and have surprised many folk this season and could possibly knock one off with a hot shooting night. I think she deserves some consideration for 8th Region COY. Crazy things can happen this time of year.

QUOTE=TripleSevens;4283289]C'mon retropop...you said something about going out on a limb. All the favorites winning their district? If you had to pick one of those four to be an upset, which one would it be? By what you wrote, I would assume you would pick SK over Walton. How about Collins over Anderson?

I'm going out on a limb and picking WV to win the region. They have proved themselves to come up big in big situations and find a way to win in close and overtime games. I am going with the experience of a heavy senior and junior team.

The truth is, as we all know, it is going to be a dog fight, with some close games, and for sure, a tough one to call.

Guilty as charged - I guess I did wimp-out and not make any tough calls. You are right to call me out on it, too! It's anybody's to take - pretty much like last year. Whoever gets hot, stays or gets healthy, and has a few favorable bounces will bop on into Diddle. For me, it's just too close to call - but hats off to you for walking the plank to make the prediction.

Guilty as charged - I guess I did wimp-out and not make any tough calls. You are right to call me out on it, too! It's anybody's to take - pretty much like last year. Whoever gets hot, stays or gets healthy, and has a few favorable bounces will bop on into Diddle. For me, it's just too close to call - but hats off to you for walking the plank to make the prediction.

Retro...your right. It's so close with so many quality teams that it is virtually impossible to make a logical guess or pick. No one is going to walk through the 8th region tournament and no one is going to win it without a minimum of two very very tough and close games.

I picked WV, but I think it would be close to the same percentages to pick Anderson or South Oldham. Although Collins, SK and Owen can beat anybody in the tournament, I don't think they will put 3 consecutive games together to come out on top.

If I could pick a second time...it would be Anderson, because it's home games for them.