For the Whovians among us

All Tell

I have a huge soft spot for the ninth doctor, Christopher Eccleston, but the show right now with Matt Smith and Karen Gillan is as good as New Who has been. It's being written and performed at a very high level. "The Doctor's Wife" and "A Christmas Carol" are among my favorite Dr. Who episodes ever.

Since you say New Who can I assume that you have seen Old Who? I was a big fan of Tom Baker.

I'm still hit-and-miss on the old stuff. I've seen everything currently up on Nexflix streaming along with a number of others. I'm still pretty limited to Tom Baker, Peter Davison and Sylvester McCoy. I'd love to see some of the first three doctors and I'd REALLY like to see Colin Baker's "Trial of a Time Lord" season.

I'm still hit-and-miss on the old stuff. I've seen everything currently up on Nexflix streaming along with a number of others. I'm still pretty limited to Tom Baker, Peter Davison and Sylvester McCoy. I'd love to see some of the first three doctors and I'd REALLY like to see Colin Baker's "Trial of a Time Lord" season.

I remember watching the first few Hartnell serials on PBS as a kid. Good stuff.

Karen Gillan will be leaving the Tardis at some point in the upcoming season :cry:

LINK

Very sad, she and Donna have been by favorite companions of the Doctor since the show came back. Strong characters that didn't give him a doe eyed look all the time. The fact that she is ginger certainly didn't hurt either. :D

• 1 month later...
I have a huge soft spot for the ninth doctor, Christopher Eccleston, but the show right now with Matt Smith and Karen Gillan is as good as New Who has been. It's being written and performed at a very high level. "The Doctor's Wife" and "A Christmas Carol" are among my favorite Dr. Who episodes ever.

You know I can't believe I never commented on this one. I agree with those episodes definitely, I have to say though that the quality the writing has improved dramatically since Moffat took over the show. Even before he took over most of the best episodes and new villains were created by him anyway:

The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances (Season 1)

The Girl in the Fireplace(Season 2)

Blink(Season 3)

Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead(Season 4)

He also did the mini-episode Time Crash with Peter Davison and David Tennant

He is brilliant at coming up with new enemies for The Doctor and never makes them too easy to defeat. A big problem I had with the Davies era was the fact that it turned the Daleks into a run of the mill bad guy that was easily beaten all the time. I am so glad that Moffat has put them on the back burner for right now, they were overused like the Borg were in Voyager.

Haven't caught up since they made the switch to the new Doctor, as I got rid of my BBC channel. I have seen a few of the episodes and always planned on getting caught up, just haven't got around to it. Worth it?

Haven't caught up since they made the switch to the new Doctor, as I got rid of my BBC channel. I have seen a few of the episodes and always planned on getting caught up, just haven't got around to it. Worth it?

I definitely think so. I mean I grew up on Tom Baker as the Doctor (4th Doctor), so I have been a fan for probably 18 years or so now. The series as it is now, in my opinion is better than it has ever been since it came back on the air in 2005. The great thing about this show, in my mind, is that they have never made a bad casting choice for The Doctor so far. From Hartnell to Smith, they have all been stellar and each brings a different aspect of the character to the front.

The 11th Doctor is right up there for me with the 4th, well not held in as high regard for me but he is fantastic. I think I like Matt Smith's portrayal of the character the most of the 3 since the show has come back on the air. That said I loved 9 and 10 as well. I think I would have loved 10 even more had I not had some issues with what the writers did with the character. They made him a bit too human for my taste, one of the things I think they have done well with Matt Smith's doctor is make him a bit more alien, which in my mind he always should be.

But long story short, yes. Watch it. :lol:

The whole thing is on Netflix, if you have an account I would watch it there.